Settings for higher difficulty (without self-imposed challenges)

Hello all, haven’t touched this game in a while, just curious to know what settings you all use to increase the difficulty of this game (and whether its even necessary anymore).

What I am not referring to are self-imposed challenges (playing a specific character/build or avoid specific builds, choosing specific traits, starts etc.) but rather modulating the world/item/zombie generation settings and enabling different mod combinations to make things a little more interesting no matter what build or character one plays (even if its a random character).

The obvious candidates are item spawn and zombie spawn, lowering item spawn makes things much more interesting (but lowering it too much means not even rocks spawn, which is a problem), or making zombies stronger with nightvision or strong zombies mod etc.

I’m more interested in the combination of settings and mods than any individual setting; what do you feel is the sweet spot of maximum challenge but minimum frustration?

Wander spawn with fast evolution is pretty brutal nowadays. Though it also feels kinda hopeless, as you can’t really clear a city (unless it’s tiny), only get rid of the nearby zeds to loot stuff and get out.

since random characters were introduced, i’ve only played in this mode. Mixed with a .33 down to .25 item spawn, that’s enough for me to keep the game reasonably difficult (some plays more or less so, due to the randomness of char) and to make me adapt to the strength and weakness of each char.

^ this. I just CAN’T force myself to NOT minmax when making a character. I WANT them to be the best I can, and it is so much more fun to random them and then strategize around the crap I get.

I have been playing with changing the difficulty on the fly. This is the first playthough I have REALLY done it, but once I clear out this first city a little more, which I will do after I have combined this RV, road roller, bandit tractor, firetruck, and beetle with some spare batteries and solars I found, I will turn hordes on and increase the evo rate and density again.

I have an NPC that trusts me fairly well after all the first aid and double leg splints I gave em after letting them failingly attempt to take on a swimmer, kid, or dog zombie while I butchered a kid zombie. So I can have them guard/ help out, and can always temporary ditch it if I need to.

Once this playthrough is over though I am going to get more serious about it and go random character instead of the debug no limits character with cheese starting difficulty. Then make game start with hordes and roaming spawn, and average evo, density etc, with 75% item spawn. And probably just keep adjusting stats as I go through. Dropping item rate every town and periodically ramping up evo if I am not getting any difficult situations.

how does one make the game have difficulty settings? Do we set official standards to -pardon the term- measure our edicks by?

All this is is a challenge to exploit. and unlike other games how do we do this?

-less favorable npc interactions? NPCs whom you fail charisma rolls on attack or flee from you
-less items, more evo, etc? options set at default. I find the defaults skull-bleeding easy, but at what quanity is it ‘hard’ or ‘nightmare’? most ‘normal’ difficulty in games are designed to draw in more players.

Difficulty in the game rn typically means either 2 things:

-making the early game harder.
doable to a large extent by character creation. bad scenerios, stats, professions, time, season, season length, all make early game harder.
-making endgame harder. no matter how hard early gameis, a fraction of survivors get here, where they can become neigh indestructable. Its usually player error if you die, misjudging a threat or failing to bring adequaye supplies that are otherwise eadily available.

The sandboxy nature of the game discourages ‘difficulty settings’ as set by the makers in fabor of that set by the player. And with limited endgame challange (weak mpc factions, mostly simple/reactionary npc ai, no ranged monsters really, limited guns, no competition in looting, no worldstate evolution outside the reality bubble, all that) and that its up to the player to decide goals, ethics, conduct, and methods it means any ‘difficulty’ in this alpha game is artifically creayed against the grain of the current game.

but yea, im sure somebody out there has a ‘Rebalancing’ mod that tries to make the world ‘harder’. cough vv

I think you misread the OP. But sure, that was a nice rant.

And I think you misunderstand the viability of the suggestion.

but sure, cute post

XD fair enough.

The suggestion for…? Making a mod that creates standardized difficulties? You seemed pretty against your suggestion if that is the case.

im against officially established difficulties beyond ‘standard’. Spawn rates/season/time/city size are standardized to give us a place to start comparing and to give new players a place to start exploring, imo.

Anything else should be player sought.

no one said any different, except maybe yourself…

is this the part where i reread the op and blush?

. . . because . . . im not doing it. nope

ah. It would be cruel of me to expect you to blush over a small reading error on one of thousands of threads. But, I’ll let you deal with that. Long as you know that you are effectively ranting at people that agree with you.

well, it isnt explicit that posters agree with my stance.

so nyah

ANYWAY

I agree that wander spawns + late-game evolutions + acid zombies is a serious challenge. Even MMR has trouble fighting off large hordes, though this is mostly because MMR is stronger than the Solar Roller. Now that Granades are no longer a thing, I think surviving one would be very difficult.

I recommend Pisskop’s Rebalancing Mod, his triffids will rip you a new one.

:frowning: ah. No more granades. How else am I supposed to get powerful enough to get on the pantheon?

I’m in there, and I’ve never used a granade.

shhhhhhh

[quote=“pisskop, post:5, topic:11500”]how does one make the game have difficulty settings? Do we set official standards to -pardon the term- measure our edicks by?

All this is is a challenge to exploit. and unlike other games how do we do this?

-less favorable npc interactions? NPCs whom you fail charisma rolls on attack or flee from you
-less items, more evo, etc? options set at default. I find the defaults skull-bleeding easy, but at what quanity is it ‘hard’ or ‘nightmare’? most ‘normal’ difficulty in games are designed to draw in more players.

Difficulty in the game rn typically means either 2 things:

-making the early game harder.
doable to a large extent by character creation. bad scenerios, stats, professions, time, season, season length, all make early game harder.
-making endgame harder. no matter how hard early gameis, a fraction of survivors get here, where they can become neigh indestructable. Its usually player error if you die, misjudging a threat or failing to bring adequaye supplies that are otherwise eadily available.

The sandboxy nature of the game discourages ‘difficulty settings’ as set by the makers in fabor of that set by the player. And with limited endgame challange (weak mpc factions, mostly simple/reactionary npc ai, no ranged monsters really, limited guns, no competition in looting, no worldstate evolution outside the reality bubble, all that) and that its up to the player to decide goals, ethics, conduct, and methods it means any ‘difficulty’ in this alpha game is artifically creayed against the grain of the current game.

but yea, im sure somebody out there has a ‘Rebalancing’ mod that tries to make the world ‘harder’. cough vv[/quote]

I guess I don’t really understand what you’re saying, but I will say your rebalancing mod (thanks to Flame for pointing that out btw) seems like exactly what I was looking for.

I’m surprised it isn’t already in the default mod list actually, but I digress.

The title of the thread was a bit dubious I guess, but I wasn’t actually looking for formal “difficulty settings”, just tweaking of existing game settings for a more challenging game, forcing the use of creative strategies like using noise, explosives, stealth etc. etc. Which your mod seems to encourage.

If you want a criteria for more difficulty, I guess that would be it (requires/allows for more creative solutions to problems), though that has less to do with increased difficulty and more with emergent game-play. I don’t necessarily agree with dividing the game into early/mid/late game and considering the difficulty of each separately as you’ve done; I’m actually fine with the game becoming easier with time and if it becomes too easy, I figure its time to retire and start over with a new (random) character. As it is, there is not enough (interesting) content in the “late-game” to be worthwhile staying there for long and it certainly isn’t fun (for me, anyway) being an indestructible titan; I’m also not trying to find new ways to “measure my edick”, I don’t play the game to “win” but just as an rpg. Losing can be fun, sometimes more fun, than winning, so long as there was a good story behind it.

What I like to do, despite it being a bit easy, is to put on mundane zombies but up the spawn rate a ton and make wandering hordes.

After a year or so I’ll lower the spawn a bit and remove mundanes