Segmentation Fault - 0.E-4920-g6a34646 - Loading into game

So… I was able to fix up L11’s save manually…

Let me compose a little guide until this bug is fixed…

How to prevent this bug from happening:

• Don’t eat/drink or cook before you save.

I’m not sure how many other actions it takes until it’s safe to… uhm… save. I’m not even sure what’s counting as an action to overwrite the buggy stuff…
I’d suggest doing one of these things after eating and before saving: reading (at least 1 chapter), crafting (probably don’t have to finish), constructing (probably don’t have to finish), sleeping (save after sleeping, not while laying down!).

It happend to me, what now?:

There are a lot of reasons for segmentation faults, so check to make sure if it’s actually this one. Compare your crash.log to the one in the first post of this topic.
Then, if you - for whatever reason - don’t want to use the fix suggested in the github issue, you can edit your save file like this:

• Make a backup of your save folder, just in case something goes “even wronger”.
  • Open your save folder followed by the folder with the world name you’re playing on.
  • Look for the file that ends with a .sav (not master.gsav). You might have to set your file extensions to visible.
    • The file is usually one of the largest, so you could sort by file size.
    • If you have multipe characters in the world, make sure you grab the right one. You can copy the file name and past it into any base64 decoder (this one for example). If it matches the name of the character you try to load, you’ve found the right file.
      • Alternatively, look for the .log file with the same name as your .sav file (this might be the only one with no extension visible, depending on your settings). Open it and look for "[NAME] began their journey into the Cataclysm.". If the [NAME] of it is the name of the character you try to load, you’ve found the right file.
  • After you found the right .sav file, open it in a text editor of your choise.
  • Search for "backlog" (including the quotes!).
  • After that tag, you’ll find an opening bracket [. You now have to find it’s counterpart, the one closing it.
    • Sadly, that’s not going to be the closest ] you can find (if it is, then your segmentation fault was not caused by this…).
      • However, you can somehow mark your starting bracket (add some line breaks after it or something) and – unless something changes in the immediate future – search for "activity_vehicle_part_index". From there, go back a few symbols and you should run into a closing bracket ], the counterpart one from the "backlog" tag.
  • Now remove everything between these brackets. Afterwards, it should look like this:
  • […], "backlog": [], "activity_vehicle_part_index": […]
  • Save the file.
  • And now, give it a try :slight_smile: .