Save corruption proble

i had a file was more than 50 days into that character and sudently when i try to load i get messages like this:
DEBUG : Failed to read from “./save/you keep stuff/maps/4.4.0/132.145.0.map”: line 1:513: invalid character inside string

t_underbrush",“t_grass_tall”,“t_grass_dead”,“t_grass_tall”,“t_grass_long”,“t_tree_pine”,“t_dirt”,[“t_grass_dead”,4],“t_grass_tall”,“t_grass_long”,“t_tree_dead”,[“t_grass_dead”,3],“t_dirt”,[“t_grass_dead”,2],“t_trunk”,“t_dirt”,“t_trunk”,"t_gr

FUNCTION : bool read_from_file(const string&, const std::function<void(std::basic_istream&)>&)
FILE : src/cata_utility.cpp
LINE : 434

and

DEBUG : Failed to read from “./save/you keep stuff/maps/4.4.0/132.148.0.map”: line 1:513: missing separator

s_dead",[“t_grass”,4],“t_dirt”,[“t_pavement”,84],[“t_pavement_y”,3],“t_pavement”,[“t_pavement_y”,3],“t_pavement”,[“t_pavement_y”,3],“t_pavement”],“radiation”:[0,144],“furniture”:[],“items”:[],“traps”:[],“fields”:[],“cosmetics”:[],“spawns”:[]

FUNCTION : bool read_from_file(const string&, const std::function<void(std::basic_istream&)>&)
FILE : src/cata_utility.cpp
LINE : 434

after the game crashes is there a way to fix the save

i can create other characters in the same world without problems but they are maybe really far away from the location i was on. i even use console comands to reveal map and teleport but was unable to find the place it seems cordinates would always put the overmap you are on as you 0,0 so using cordinates does not work. is there a way to know or teleport the new character to the place of the old save?

We need more information, like your operating system and the build version of the game you’re running.
Did you update the game between your last play and the error?
Do you run it with the launcher?
Did it end the game in a weird way the last time you could play normally (crash while saving, power outage, …)?

While it probably does not help to fix your save, it would be nice to know if you’re using any mods. This may help to find the error that caused the save corruption in the first place and it can be fixed before others have to suffer from it too.

If you’re using the launcher, did it create any backups?
If not, depending on your operating system and -settings, it might has made a backup for you:

Then about…

Yes, but I doubt it would be of any use, as it would try to read the corrupt region file and just crash again.

Edit: I had to check myself how you can extract the coordinates if you want to give it a try as it isn’t that straight forward as one would hope:

Step by step guide to get the coordinates
  • Open your world folder in the save game folder, in your case probably /save/you keep stuff/.
  • Now open the #[gibberish].sav file related to your character using a text editor. The “[gibberish]” is actually your ingame characters name encoded with base64 - you can decode it by copy-pasting the filename into a decoder of your choise (example site).
  • There are a few variables important for this: "levx", "levy", "levz", "om_x" and "om_y".
  • If you only want an approximation (about 1 overmap tile away from where your character actually is), choose “Teleport - long range” in the debug menu and move the cursor to the following coordinates (in red, on the bottom right side of the map menu): “LEVEL [value of levz], [value of om_x]‘[half of the levx value plus 2], [value of om_y]’[half of the levy value plus 2]”. If you switch overmap while adding the “plus 2”, let it happen.
    • For example: You got the following values: "levx": 220, "levy": 357, "levz": 0, "om_x":0, "om_y":-1. This results in the overmap coordinates: “LEVEL 0, 0’112, -1’180.5” (which will turn into “LEVEL 0, 0’112, 0’1” when you move your cursor).
  • If you want to exactly go to the place you were, you’ll also need to grab the "posx" and "posy" values of the "player". Best search the file for THIEF_MODE, as this variable is close by.
  • Now halve the levx and levy values, round it down if necessary.
  • Take the posx and posy values, adding “12” to it if you’ve rounded down one of the results from before (if you’ve rounded down from levx, add 12 to posx and/or if you’ve rounded down from levy, add to posy). Divide them (with remainder) by 24.
  • Add the results to the ones you’ve got from halving the “lev” values.
  • These are now the coordinates you’re looking for, where om_x and om_y are your overmap coordinates, the levz is the Z-Level and the results you’ve gotten are the overmap tile coordinates. The remainder is the actual tile your character stands on, counted from the top left.
1 Like

like your operating system; windows 10
and the build version of the game you’re running. 0.E-Windows_x64-Tiles-10478
Did you update the game between your last play and the error?no
Do you run it with the launcher?
Did it end the game in a weird way the last time you could play normally (crash while saving, power outage, …)?No, it was the save it does before going to sleep
thanks i try to right click to see previus versions but none where save
i start the game by clicking the file named cataclysm-tiles.exe

mods “dda”,
“no_npc_food”,
“crt_expansion”,
“alt_map_key”,
“MMA”,
“No_Rail_Stations”,
“StatsThroughSkills”

Hm, that’s unfortunate.

Would you mind to upload the save somewhere so I could take a look at it?
I could try to fix it, but it probably will take a few days (if I’m even able to)…
You would have to zip the “you keep stuff” folder from your save folder and put it onto a sharing site, like google drive, dropbox or similar and either post the share link here or send me a private message with it. Be aware that this would allow me and/or others to see the content of that folder and your game world, so if this idea does make you uncomfortable do not do it. Maybe someone else has an idea how to fix this that requires less intrusion into your privacy.

Whether this is a solution or not I don’t know, however, if I got those messages I would try a couple of things. I’d Inspect the whole syntax within the opening and closing curly braces of that line and compare it to similar ones for insight.
I’d likely try to replace it with another one and see what happens. Most likely nothing to do with that line/file and just cause another error to crop up but worth a shot for a 50 day save.
Or delete that file(s) completely and see what happens, hoping for the best.
I’d also test remove the mods one by one and see if that changed anything when starting up. As you can see these are stabs in the dark to save a 50 day save.

9 days have passed so guessing you’ve either moved on or found a solution already.