[Question] Z-Levels

I would like somebody to explain what z-levels are.
I heard of them on many topics but never really understand what really are (or are planned to be).
Thank you very much!

Z-levels means “Z coordinate level” or height above/below ground. Implementing Z-levels would give us multi-story buildings, deep dungeons etc. Maybe a possibility to dig yourself underground house (or fortress… dwarf fortress ) ). Or meet some kind of flying (or underground dwelling) Zed.

I got it now! Thank you very much, when implemented I will start to use dressers as bombs :smiley:

I wonder what happens if you leave a live grenade inside a container…

If you want a good example of a system we’ll be looking at, take a look at the Dwarf Fortress implementation (though we’ll be shooting for a more “fortress mode” style implementation then their adventure mode style).

[move]MAN I DON’T KNOW HOW LONG I CAN WAIT FOR THEM Z-LEVELS CAUSE I’M GOING TO BUILD SO MUCH F***ED UP S*** AND THEN BLOW IT UP[/move]

MO FUGGIN TREEHOUSES

Suddenly I have a mental image of destroying a town in CDDA and watching it all fall down from the distance…

…Are we gonna get hills?

You can think of it this way:
With no Z-levels you can lose your golden ring to some gooey precipice in the ground. Once you manage to get down there, your precious has vanished for all eternity, stuck in-between the debugger’s bits and bytes.
With Superb Awesome Z-Levels (SAZ-L) you get to drop your ring, but you can never lose it. Nevertheless it shines more brightly so you’re blinded with the wish to explore the depths of the Mighty Z-Dungeon. However, the goblin that took your ring was a mere toothpick for the Great Wyrm nesting there, so your Z-Levels actually are:
Great_Wyrm>>Your_Pile_Of_Bones>>Goblin_Toothpick>>GoldWish

And yet another trivia - if Sauron had no Z-Levels, Frodo could’ve been the new Dark Lord. :slight_smile: