Potential engine solutions and fun stuff

That wasn’t literal. I meant…nevermind. Good day.

This thread:
rails

Anyway.

I would like to give modding this a try, but it won’t be worth the effort if it becomes broken or obsolete and I’m unable to solve that.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

ZhilkinSerg is already working on railroads.

There’s been some tentative discussion about adding larger engines for tanks and other large vehicles.

I’m not exactly sure what your question is. The developers try to avoid to obsoleting or breaking stuff, but things change all the time.

I’m pretty sure ootdega was refering to how this tread derailed from discussing engines to arguing about whether or not JSON is programming and how computers came to be.

I’ve run into most of them, but some are pretty rare. I’ve definitely found junkyards, and I’ve seen 1x2 cemeteries a few times. Are you playing with many extra location mods? I don’t play with any, so that might have an effect.

It’s called a Pull Request (PR), but it was merged, meaning that the content in it is in the main game.

I’m not going to argue with you. The dev himself responded, that’s who I’m listening to.

Yes.

Neither am I. It’s one of those things where you don’t know enough to know what to say. I do hardware. I’m only somewhat competent with software, and I don’t know anything about code at all. Trying to navigate Github is like being lost in the Great Library when I can’t read.

I guess what I’m the most anxious about is going through all the effort, and then something happens at some point where it stops working, and I lack either the skills or motivation to fix it. I hate disappointing people, or in this case potentially permanently breaking their saves because I can’t get off my useless ass to fix it.

On the one hand, stuff in CDDA breaks all the time. Some nut with delusions of coding ability goes and rewrites the way vehicles calculate speed and define power, and because he’s lazy and sloppy, he forgets to update the power numbers for the steam turbines tucked away in Blazemod. Despite the fact that he wrote those steam turbines.

The point is, stuff breaks. It’s part of the development process. Fortunately for you, it’s not your responsibility to fix something that someone else broke: it’s that person’s responsibility. I didn’t write the vehicle planter code, but if I make a change to the vehicle code that breaks planters, I’m supposed to fix it, not go find whatever casual contributor who added that stuff a couple of years ago and expect them to fix it.

If you contribute an awesome thing to the mainline repo, like say a turbocharged inline-6 gas engine and a sample vehicle called a “German sports car” that has that engine in the back (oh please do this!), then you’ve contributed and you’re done. You can add more if you like, you can keep maintaining stuff if you prefer, but if you want to walk away from contributing at that point, you can and you did your part.

If you have awesome ideas that you want to share, please share them. If you don’t want to do maintenance or are worried that depression will prevent you from doing, then don’t do maintenance and don’t let that worry stop you.

I’m the guy doing vehicles stuff now. If you add a German sports car and other turbo-charged and supercharged engines and vehicles, I will maintain your stuff for as long as I am contributing to the project. Please contribute if that’s what you want to do.

4 Likes