Portal storm question thread

I don’t find one so I made one. This thread is only for question and answer about what’s currently in game, not for discussion about balance.

1. Does monster spawn when @ is inside? From what I read on the forum and github, they don’t. However, they spawned when my @ was inside a building of an apple orchard. There is no NPC around.

2. Is @ completely safe when they’re inside? Are they only safe from direct physical damage, or any kind of effect?

3. What is “inside”? Does it require a roof, or enclosed wall?

4. If monsters spawn, and @ goes inside, will monsters follow in?

I was inside a house and an absense spawned and dropped all my inventory. How do I prevent this?

Edit: Nobody replies the first post in 4 days. Do people all mod portal storm out?

Last i played with Portal Storms:

• doors would sometimes randomly open themselves because reasons™ even if I was -6 floors underground. Even on EVAC shelters I’ve seen that happen on Z-0 and monsters would indeed spawn outsde and come inside after me.

• No, the @ isn’t “completely safe”. I’m not sure what the “harm” might be, other than the random (and honestly annoying) voices and stuff shifting around (like the player being randomly placed in some random tile or going randomly “ethereal” / non-corporeal or whatever it is they called it.

• “Inside” requires complete coverage from what is outside. Doesn’t matter if you have fully built walls around you, you need full roof coverage. Doesn’t matter if you have full-roof coverage, you need full walls around you too. These are both requirements for one to be considered “inside”.

• Yes, monsters will follow @ inside. Even downstairs. I’ve had an appendage follow me downstairs in a Research Facility from the main “garage” entrance towards the stairs that lead to the lab. It did not go down stairs into the lab with me, however - back then those stairs were broken, unsure how it is now.

• Absense is something that shouldn’t be in the game, given the bias towards realism the game has (same can be said about the Portal Storms but that’s a personal preference) but I digress. You cannot prevent that other than doing the sensible thing that is “just turning off Portal Storms”.

People not replying doesn’t mean they don’t know the answers or that they don’t play with Portal Storms; based on what I’ve read, almost everyone does use and like the feature. The lack of replies might mean people are busy or didn’t see the thread for various reasons (too many active threads, dead threads being bumped because some people like necroposting, etc). It happens.

EDIT: Take my experience with a grain of salt: I’ve modded that feature off because I (personally) think it makes no sense in the setting the game takes place in, it’s anti-player and all it accomplished was to force people to play at a set pace, instead of the player choosing the pace they want to play at. It’s been months since I actually last enabled it myself and it will remain turned off for as long as my makeshift mod works.

Is it true that monster still spawns, when player is inside a vehicle or house with all windows and doors closed? From what I read on github, it is implied that no monster spawns at all, if the player is inside.

As I said, i don’t know how it is currently. Last time I watched someone playing with that feature turned on, whether they would be indoors or inside a vehicle, monsters would spawn outside. In vehicles was easy to notice that if you had direct visibility to the outside.

Now whether that was an unintended side effect or not, I don’t know. My experience is a few months out of date, hence why I said above “Last Time I Played with Portal Storms.”

if anything you may want to ask over at the subreddit too so you get your bases covered for responses.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve already turned off portal storm, following the instruction I found on the subreddit. I’ll see if that works. However, I’ll keep this thread open, as I find surprisingly little information around the internet about this feature, even about very basic questions like how monsters spawn and what “inside” is.

Yeah. It’s one of the many disadvantages of people taking things like these to Discord channels, where search engines cannot get into, as well as some things are discussed that would benefit from being open for everyone to see.

I have re-enabled portal storm and it seems that it’s actually manageable. If I read the json correctly, there is a 4 days safe window after each portal storm:

{
“type”: “effect_on_condition”,
“id”: “EOC_PORTAL_STORM_WARN_OR_CAUSE_RECURRING”,
“recurrence”: [ { “global_val”: “ps_min_woc”, “default”: “5 days” }, { “global_val”: “ps_max_woc”, “default”: “18 days” } ],
“global”: true,
“effect”: { “run_eocs”: “EOC_CAUSE_EARLY_PORTAL_STORM” }
}

And as I understand, to avoid being attacked by portal storm monsters, one needs to:

1. be under a roof or underground.
  2. have no LoS to any outside tile.
  3. have no path to any outside tile. (portal storm monsters can open door but can’t smash.)

The minimal storm shelter is as simple as three cabinets or lockers that wall you off into a corner of a room.

The good thing is that they don’t bash down structures, even being inside a tent’ll keep you safe, you’ll still get spooked by that one monster that’s always visible to you should it spawn, and can always see you too.

Crouching inside a car will help too, as long as it prevents all LOS to the outside world. You don’t really get anything by fighting the monsters it spawns, maybe some personal satisfaction considering how annoying their attacks are, like making you tired, making all your equipment fall to the ground, box you in an indestructible material, or teleport you to the same spot you moved from a few tiles away, so if you have it enabled just hide.

I just found out that portal storm doesn’t necessarily wake you up when you’re sleeping. I used to get woke up when it was still early portal storm so I assumed so. Yesterday my character was sleeping on the roof and he didn’t manage to wake up until the portal storm really started. He successfully ran into the cellar but suffered from nightmares for a few days.

I see you disabled it before. Could you show me how? Can it be disabled for an existing game?

I was pretty big on playing the game as is, but now that I’ve broken that by disabling skill rust, might as well get rid of portal storms, too. I’ve been waiting for the good stuff to show up, but apparently there isn’t any. I forgot to close a door (I thought for sure I’d closed it!), and I closed it before I saw any monsters. An hour of crafting later it smashed through my boarded up windows.

It’s not nearly as bad as skill rust, mind you. Unless I really did close that door and the storm opened it.

Above is how to disable portal storm. It works for a going game. Save the game, exit, edit the json file, and it’s done. No portal storm from now on.

If you intend to try the portal storm for a bit anyway:

Firstly, for the current experimental, closing door is completely useless. The “person” can open doors. However, “person” can’t smash or push away furnitures. A bookshelf is what that can block “person” from entering your base. Other furnitures that block movement and LoS also work.

Secondly, furniture, however, is not actually fool proof. Sometimes, your character might be unable to push the furniture, due to disease or injury. The most safe way is to go underground before the real portal storm happen, then no portal storm monster will spawn at all. Combined with the fact that early portal storm doesn’t wake up your character, it is a good idea to sleep underground when it’s a time that portal storm can possibly happen. I also read on reddit about parking a vehicle in a way that blocks a passage or places the vehicle door against a wall. I haven’t tried that myself.

Thirdly, as I posted earlier, there’s a safe window after each portal storm, during which absolutely no portal storm would happen.

Lastly, what smashed through the boarded up window? This is very unusual, even for portal storm.

Thank you for this! Very much! I remember seeing that thread name but I don’t remember ever actually reading it.

I don’t know what smashed the boarded windows. That’s a really good question. I asked my question before finishing the portal storm, to let my disgust fade a bit. It broke two side by side boarded windows in the room we were in, and as we evacuated to a back bedroom I saw a portal storm creature, something like a disembodied limb or appendage or something (I tried to find it in the Hitchhiker’s Guide, but didn’t, so I’m sure I got the name very, very wrong). I thought maybe it had stumbled against it and broken through.

BUT, after going to the back bedroom, which also has side by side boarded-up windows, and waiting until the weather cleared, as soon as I began moving to leave the room, the two side by side boarded up windows in that room broke through as well. So maybe the portal storm didn’t break them, or maybe the “Wait a while” – “Wait till weather changes” code is buggy and didn’t register the breaking windows until after I began moving again.

The closest portal is eight map tiles away from my ranch house (8 left and 4 down), and I thought maybe something from there had showed up. I looked around outside, climbed on the roof, climbed up my grain silo, saw no creatures at all. Nothing but the windows had any damage, even the barbed wire fence outside the first broken windows was completely undamaged.

The creature you saw was probably a giant appendage. I don’t know if they can break window or not. The second case of window breaking is indeed even stranger.

I know very little about the actual portal storm monsters, as I always hide underground before “early portal storm” ends, and no portal storm monster spawn for me.