Palisade walls & gates

would it be possible to increase the variety of materials that can be used to build these? i find it virtually impossible to find enough string to build a satisfactory fort.

some suggestions would be:

superglue
wire
copper wire
steel chain

pretty much anything else that could be used to bind logs together.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Steel chain would probably be a good idea, although personally I’ve never had a problem with finding enough rope to build them. You do know that cutting off seatbelts from cars gets you 6 foot ropes, right?

yeah but even so it’s still a chore.

Agree, not sure about superglue though, glue them logs together eh? :slight_smile:

hey that stuff is pretty freaking strong!

The requirements for palisade walls used to be a lot higher. It used to be 30ft of rope per section. I actually asked for it to be reduced, and it was. It was a good day.

I still feel like not enough rope spawns. You should be able to find tons of the stuff in hardware stores. I mean, I can walk to any of the local hardware stores and find thousands of feet of the stuff, but I’m lucky if I can find 30 at a hardware store in Cata.

Obviously ‘thousands’ would be excessive, but we should be able to find 100+ feet of the stuff at any given hardware store. Just so building palisades doesn’t necessitate farming windows and cars for drawstrings/seatbelts.

[quote=“Hyena Grin, post:7, topic:4548”]The requirements for palisade walls used to be a lot higher. It used to be 30ft of rope per section. I actually asked for it to be reduced, and it was. It was a good day.

I still feel like not enough rope spawns. You should be able to find tons of the stuff in hardware stores. I mean, I can walk to any of the local hardware stores and find thousands of feet of the stuff, but I’m lucky if I can find 30 at a hardware store in Cata.

Obviously ‘thousands’ would be excessive, but we should be able to find 100+ feet of the stuff at any given hardware store. Just so building palisades doesn’t necessitate farming windows and cars for drawstrings/seatbelts.[/quote]

Rope is always the first to go!! Honestly, it really is!

Copper wire is way too weak I’d say, as is super-glue. Chains could be good though, as could nailing them together (using scrap metal + drill + nails or something)

Would be good to have ‘construction level’ drops of some stuff like rope and wire. 200m rolls of wire, 50m of rope, boxes of 5000 nails.

Yea i guess superglue is sorta silly now that i think of it. But i see no reason why copper wire wouldn’t work. It’s just a matter of how much you need to strengthen the wall, you may need to wrap around joints multiple times to equal same strength but i doubt it.

Also in reality you could use like Binky said scrap metal + nails/screws but also even planks of wood and lots of nails could bind them together just fine too…

Honestly binding doesn’t need to be super strong since all palisades is small logs/poles placed in ground one after another to form a wall, and binding can be just about anything to add extra strength but really you don’t even need binding…

Google search palisade and you’ll see what i mean… most have a wooden board/pole binding them together while some have no binding at all!

I can’t honestly believe that superglue would work very well for binding logs, since it would just glue pieces of bark together. Assuming the glue is that strong, the bark would get pulled away from the log.

The real question is: Why not duct tape?

Also: Huge lengths of wire/rope and massive boxes of nails? Those sound like good things to be able to find in crates.

I found out recently that rags can be dismantled into thread (1 rag → 100 thread). So that should give us a virtually unlimited (though somewhat tedious) supply of rope via crafting by cutting up and dismantling the mountains of surplus clothing laying around.

Maybe a few ‘Construction Site’ buildings that are unfinished buildings with tools and building supplies around.

[quote=“Ian Strachan, post:11, topic:4548”]I can’t honestly believe that superglue would work very well for binding logs, since it would just glue pieces of bark together. Assuming the glue is that strong, the bark would get pulled away from the log.

The real question is: Why not duct tape?

Also: Huge lengths of wire/rope and massive boxes of nails? Those sound like good things to be able to find in crates.[/quote]i forgot about duct tape, we should be able to use that too.

I found out recently that rags can be dismantled into thread (1 rag → 100 thread). So that should give us a virtually unlimited (though somewhat tedious) supply of rope via crafting by cutting up and dismantling the mountains of surplus clothing laying around.[/quote]w00t! thanks a million, i never would’ve found that out if you hadn’t told me. piles of random clothing, prepare to be demolished! :smiley:

That would be a good solution!

To be fair, one could assume that a log used for a palisade has been stripped of bark, and perhaps notched to provide a better surface for binding with glue. That said, I’m still unconvinced. You’d need a stupid amount of superglue to do the job of a four foot length of rope.