Palisade walls/gates and rope & pulley systems

how exactly do those work? does a rope and pulley system have to be right next to a palisade gate, and it in turn has to be connected to a wall at both ends in order to work?

It has to be adjacent to a palisade wall that is connected to the gate

If you ever see a garage, then it’s basically the same thing but with metal. Or you can find them at farms. If you need to see an in-game example, those two would be prime candidates, so look out for them.

ok yeah farms have usually been my hideout because as far as i’ve seen NPCs can’t operate the pulley, but i couldn’t find a farm in my current game that wasn’t overrun by triffids and i didn’t want to leave my stuff sitting around in my cabin for them to just wonder in and nab.

So I built my walls and gate system like so:

. . | . . . .
.#+++#.
.# | . .#.
.#. . .# .

And when I use the pulley it tells me:

You pull the Rope…
Nothing Happens.

Help?

Remove the ropes an replace them so that they don’t touch the palisade gate

Thanks for getting back to me. How do I remove the ropes? I tried smashing it with a hammer, deconstructing furniture, moving furniture, nothing. Am I missing something?

Thanks for getting back to me. How do I remove the ropes? I tried smashing it with a hammer, deconstructing furniture, moving furniture, nothing. Am I missing something?[/quote]

Actually, it seems you cant remove them, they should be smashable like all furniture but they seem to be bugged and indestructible, well not indestructible only a Hulk seems able to destroy them. So just use the debug menu to edit them away.

Also take note that its impossible to open the gate from inside with your current setup. Beter change the walls like this:

|
##++##

|#

.#

Awesome. Thank you for your help!

A slightly better design might be,

[tt]
|
##+++#
#| #

[/tt]

It is nice and a bit wider for cars.

There really ought to be some explanations in the construction menu…

I will update the wiki real quick with the new info.

edit: nevermind the wiki isn’t working too good for me. Anyone else able to update it?