Nuclear Superalloy arrow

and superalloy arrow for the win of excessive overkill :smiley:
cause superalloy is really light and strong i think it would make great arrows that i don’t think would break easily.

The nerd in me wants to beat your arrow name with a physics textbook while screaming “YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!”…

That aside, no. Archery is OP as is, and there is no reason to make it unstoppable.

Bolts/crossbows should be buffed I think, so far the only solution seems to be repeating crossbows, but there could be other things like make crossbows train pistol skill as well for a small one, maybe rifle for a bigger one, or increase their armor piercing or something. Maybe have a crossbow which is one-tier higher than the best bow, using rare materials like plutonium warheads (to mimic depleted uranium, massive armor piercing or damage over time), or even a crossbow which doesn’t need to be drawn, but uses a ups or something.

[quote=“Catfoodbob, post:1, topic:1996”]and superalloy arrow for the win of excessive overkill :smiley:
cause superalloy is really light and strong i think it would make great arrows that i don’t think would break easily.[/quote]

The energy delivered at impact is dependent on the projectile’s momentum. Momentum is based on the mass and velocity of the object. The lighter the projectile is, the faster it has to be to make up for that loss of mass with air resistance. A bow can launch a lighter arrow faster, sure. But you have to consider that it might not compensate for the loss of mass depending on how light the super alloy is.

There’s also flight characteristics like air resistance. The lighter something is the faster it would lost speed and thus momentum. Arrow flight characteristic is that they also bend and wobble in flight and the lack of it might affect the trajectory.

As for an arrow being “stronger”, you have to consider that normal arrows don’t need to be all that strong in the first place. Only the head needs to be that strong, the rest of the arrow goes through the hole punched by the head. The rest of the arrow being strong doesn’t actually do anything other than push the tip further in. The main thing to worry about then is how heavy you can make the shaft of the arrow, and how fast you can fling it. Short of making the shaft out of an untempered glass tube, you shouldn’t have to worry about it breaking on impact.

[quote=“Flare, post:4, topic:1996”][quote=“Catfoodbob, post:1, topic:1996”]and superalloy arrow for the win of excessive overkill :smiley:
cause superalloy is really light and strong i think it would make great arrows that i don’t think would break easily.[/quote]

The energy delivered at impact is dependent on the projectile’s momentum. Momentum is based on the mass and velocity of the object. The lighter the projectile is, the faster it has to be to make up for that loss of mass with air resistance. A bow can launch a lighter arrow faster, sure. But you have to consider that it might not compensate for the loss of mass depending on how light the super alloy is.

There’s also flight characteristics like air resistance. The lighter something is the faster it would lost speed and thus momentum. Arrow flight characteristic is that they also bend and wobble in flight and the lack of it might affect the trajectory.

As for an arrow being “stronger”, you have to consider that normal arrows don’t need to be all that strong in the first place. Only the head needs to be that strong, the rest of the arrow goes through the hole punched by the head. The rest of the arrow being strong doesn’t actually do anything other than push the tip further in. The main thing to worry about then is how heavy you can make the shaft of the arrow, and how fast you can fling it. Short of making the shaft out of an untempered glass tube, you shouldn’t have to worry about it breaking on impact.[/quote]

That last bit isn’t entirely true. I’ve shattered more than my fair share of wooden arrows with my measly 45lb bow.

Good to know.

I saw this and was hoping to see the old diagram of the Portable-Hole-Into-Bag-Of-Holding D&D Nuclear Bomb Arrow. You disappointed me.