Nuclear missile silo

This is a bug report. That I also showed how to fix the bugs is just a bonus.

If you want your stuff included, use git and submit your fixes as pull requests through github.

The question is whether you want your bugs fixed, not whether I want my stuff included. So if you want your bugs fixed you can copy/paste the code in a few seconds, or you can upload it to git yourself and do with it whatever you please. What’s the problem?

If you don't care, keep being lazy and wilfully ignorant.

Bugs I reported here can be fixed in few seconds by copy/pasting. Lazy and ignorant would be not to fix them now.

Tools like git are used to make things easier. Not easier on you, not easier on me, not easier on the maintainers; just easier. For everyone.

If you can’t get behind that, that’s your loss.

Why do you want me to use git? Can you not put the code in a git yourself?

LazyCat, I’d like to propose what I believe is a reasonable accommodation: once I figure out this github thing, I’ll post your code to my freshly-created account/repo/whatever & issue a pull request, clearly marked as your code. I believe this will spare you having to mess with github, whilst enabling the devs to examine your work and in all likelihood improve Cata for all of us.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

[quote=“KA101, post:22, topic:805”]LazyCat, I’d like to propose what I believe is a reasonable accommodation: once I figure out this github thing, I’ll post your code to my freshly-created account/repo/whatever & issue a pull request, clearly marked as your code. I believe this will spare you having to mess with github, whilst enabling the devs to examine your work and in all likelihood improve Cata for all of us.

What are your thoughts on the matter?[/quote]

I agree. However, you should know Tase has already done that with my first and possibly the most important batch of bug-fixes and improvements, he even merged it with the main tree in a side-branch, but none of it got moved to the official build nevertheless. Here it is:

You should really first talk to people who are responsible for making those decisions and who is doing actual merging, so you don’t waste your time.

Be that as it may, at least this’ll get it a hearing and a practical demonstration of new-coders’ difficulty figuring out github: it looked pretty intimidating from the start, though the windows shell seems to work OK.

OK, Notepad++ saved your code as a .h, it’s committed locally and sync’d. Now I have to find the button to call for a pull request.

Update: OK, it seems just making it into a c++ file isn’t going to work. I apparently need to fork TDW’s version, then (I presume) apply the modded code and then the pull-request button becomes useful. And of course now that I’ve logged in, hitting the fork button 404’d me. Working on the problem now.

Update, 2d: Github needs github.com & akamai.net through NoScript, apparently. Curious what exactly akamai is, but no matter. CataDDA successfully forked & code copy/pasted as claimed effective. Pull request sent.

If you’re not familiar with Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, this thread reminded me of the first strip, and the artist is top-notch:
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/02222010

No one is saying you’re preventing anyone from doing anything.

People are asking you to submit your code the same way everyone else working on the project is. It is not inappropriate to ask someone to do that. Everyone else who wants changes merged are doing that. If it’s just a simple issue of copy pasting it quickly, I really don’t understand what the problem with putting it there is?[/quote]

Yes, the code could be simply copy-pasted in five seconds, without any git, uploading or downloading. But if git makes things easier for you go ahead and use it. I don’t know how to do it, I don’t use git, and if you do why in the world would you not do it yourself then, as you normally do?[/quote]

I haven’t used git. I was considering trying to work it out to submit stuff for you, but I think I’ll wait till there is someone with a better attitude in need of help. I can’t bring myself to actually help you.

I have bug-fixes, you have bugs. Where did you get the idea I need help with anything?

I have bug-fixes, you have bugs. Where did you get the idea I need help with anything?[/quote]

If you care about your fixes getting incorporated into the game, you need help with something. If you don’t care, then I don’t see why you’re posting your fixes here in the first place.

Jejeje Lazycat not need help! He is the one that fixes eternal bugs and adds things like Z levels and funcional NPCs, you think that he would need help???

Developers need help, apparently

I don’t have access to the main branch to merge my code anyway. You should ask them why they don’t care, not me.

@nadia911,

Yeah, tell them!

It seems you do not understand how git projects work. You do not need merge access.

[quote=“nadia911, post:28, topic:805”]Jejeje Lazycat not need help! He is the one that fixes eternal bugs and adds things like Z levels and funcional NPCs, you think that he would need help???

Developers need help, apparently[/quote]

Nadia the problem is that Lazycat just refuses to use the normal process the rest of the developers use. Basically he is saying he doesn’t want to spend time on the not fun stuff of convincing others that his code works with the current builds. But as this is a free open source project, nobody wants to spend time on doing the dirty work for him. (Imho as we shouldn;t as it only enables the anti social coding behaviour).

He can say what he wants on how ‘easy’ it is to ‘just’ read/test the code. But it isn’t it is time consuming, annoying testing work. Which if not done carefully just introduces more bugs. There is a reason nobody just fixes it all for him and we spend a lot of time to convince him to JUST LEARN TO USE GIT. (http://git-scm.com/book)

But as he said himself, he is lazy. And wants us to do his housekeeping for him. Well, I say fuck that. And do my own stuff. Which is more enjoyable anyway.

Sorry it goes this way, but without somebody to push his fixes onto the main github branch thingy (by using a pull request). It will just not get fixed.

In order to merge I surely do need merge access. Do you understand whoever is doing the merge can put the code in the git themselves? What’s the problem?

Nadia the problem is that Lazycat just refuses to use the normal process the rest of the developers use. Basically he is saying he doesn't want to spend time on the not fun stuff of convincing others that his code works with the current builds. But as this is a free open source project, nobody wants to spend time on doing the dirty work for him. (Imho as we shouldn;t as it only enables the anti social coding behaviour).

It takes five seconds to copy/paste and fix these two bugs. Do you understand?

What dirty work? I did the work here and gave you the source code. All you need to do now is take it.

He can say what he wants on how 'easy' it is to 'just' read/test the code. But it isn't it is time consuming, annoying testing work. Which if not done carefully just introduces more bugs. There is a reason nobody just fixes it all for him and we spend a lot of time to convince him to JUST LEARN TO USE GIT. (http://git-scm.com/book)

What are you complaining about, you are lazy to look at your own bugs, huh? Then keep them, suit yourself. No one needs to do anything for me here, you need to fix your own bugs, and wake up from that bureaucratic nightmare you are having about git. It takes only five seconds to copy paste that piece of code and fix the bugs. Wake up.

But as he said himself, he is lazy. And wants us to do his housekeeping for him. Well, I say fuck that. And do my own stuff. Which is more enjoyable anyway.

You don’t need to do anything for me, those are your bugs I fixed for you. If you don’t mind your game is crashing and glitching that’s fine with me. Enjoy.

Sorry it goes this way, but without somebody to push his fixes onto the main github branch thingy (by using a pull request). It will just not get fixed.

What exactly is preventing say, Darkling Wolf, to push this code through the github or simply copy paste it in his working source tree and submit it with the rest of his usual changes? What’s the problem?

Look, you do not know how git works. You have no desire to learn it. So the whole conversation is pointless. I could try explaining again and again why it just doesn’t work like you described. But then you would just reply with ‘they can just copy paste’ again. It is a strawman, it isn’t about the nuke problem. You know this. You are smart. You know that merging code is a bit more complicated than just copy pasting stuff. And that his is about your whole. “I will not use git to upload my code to the rest of the people, but I will keep complaining about any bugs that ‘I’ have already fixed”.

I tried to tell you it isn’t about you vs me, or you vs the rest of the developers. It just that there is a way to upload the code/fixes to the central repository and you are not using it. I tried explaining it. But somehow it doesn’t get through. I don’t mind that much. I only find your “I fixed everything, you guys refuse to use it” mentality a bit annoying. As it is pretty clear why it isn’t used.

So I’m not going to waste my time anymore. Best of luck with your variant.

Simple, DW doesn’t read this (And even then, code should go in the ‘code submissions’ part of the forum (does not exist for a reason)), and has enough other open pull requests to process. Pull requests · TheDarklingWolf/Cataclysm-DDA · GitHub these are all merge requests. (As you can see, KA101 pushed your fixed, not something I would have done, as that only encourages your ‘does not code well with others’ mentality. There is also the minor problem of the license, not huge, as it is clear that you want it uploaded and do not mind any license it is under. But if you are working for a company with a restrictive contract, dda could be in trouble. If somebody uses the github it is clear that his code is at least open source (iirc)).

Replying one more time for others who read this thread to see how this all works. Anybody who wants to change something is free to make a github account and start coding. This isn’t about lazycat, his contributions are probably good, (the nuke thing looked good, have not looked at the other stuff), but there is a reason that his contributions are not added in the main release as timely as they could be.

Edit : Ps, any time I spend replying here, is time I do not spend on merging my npc fixes and fixing more of the bugs.

[quote=“Soyweiser, post:33, topic:805”]Look, you do not know how git works. You have no desire to learn it. So the whole conversation is pointless. I could try explaining again and again why it just doesn’t work like you described. But then you would just reply with ‘they can just copy paste’ again. It is a strawman, it isn’t about the nuke problem. You know this. You are smart. You know that merging code is a bit more complicated than just copy pasting stuff. And that his is about your whole. “I will not use git to upload my code to the rest of the people, but I will keep complaining about any bugs that ‘I’ have already fixed”.

I tried to tell you it isn’t about you vs me, or you vs the rest of the developers. It just that there is a way to upload the code/fixes to the central repository and you are not using it. I tried explaining it. But somehow it doesn’t get through. I don’t mind that much. I only find your “I fixed everything, you guys refuse to use it” mentality a bit annoying. As it is pretty clear why it isn’t used.

So I’m not going to waste my time anymore. Best of luck with your variant.[/quote]

It takes only five seconds to copy paste that piece of code and fix the bugs.

The game title screen says: “Please report bugs to TheDarklingWolf@gmail.com or post on the forums.”

Is that some kind of joke, just a waste of time? And you actually prefer to ignore your bugs? Good luck to you too.

oh god the politicking and stubborness

LazyCat’s contributions are a valid and important contribution to this game.
How about you people be the better man/woman here and help those who help you.
If LazyCat does not wish to use GitHub, so be it. It should not make his/her contributions any worse or any better than anyone elses.
It has been stated that this is a community project, we should not simply disregard code because it does not use some fancy version control.
We are here to help contribute and make a game, squabbling over things such as this only wastes time and efforts that could be used to make the game better.
We are all equal human beings here, lets keep it that way.

The game title screen says: “Please report bugs to TheDarklingWolf@gmail.com or post on the forums.”
Is that some kind of joke, just a waste of time? And you actually prefer to ignore your bugs? Good luck to you too.[/quote]

Generally, there are people who go through the forums and try to add new bugs to the github or then fix them. The people who handle merging (DW and Kevingranade) are usually too busy doing that to look for new problems to solve.

Following Darkling Wolf’s comment on this post http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=159.240;topicseen

“He always has, we merge in any good content that the community creates.”.

If LazyCat incorporated very important features to the game, has solved many bugs and improved overall performance, then, please, merge