Mutations and Traits

(note, from 25th of may git)

Purifier now can’t remove traits, which is good - except that mutagen can give them. Things like pretty, near-sighted, etc, are impossible to lose if you get them via mutagen.

Yeah, that’s a bug: purifier’s supposed to revert you to chargen-selected traits, not to base human. Mutagen has always been able to give everything (barring the Carrier).

I imagine saving the player-selected traits would be a memory hog. Maybe have a flag for “this trait is baseline for the character”?

They’ve always had a flag that indicates that a trait is baseline, and purifier has checked that flag before removing mutations for a long time. The change to purifier was counterproductive, and suggests that someone has been tampering with the pl_flag system without really understanding how it works.

My experience has been that it removes good mutations but keeps bad ones. Radiation gave me bad back and i was not able to remove it, but Dextrous was removed even though it was 10-15 days older.

The time it’s gained doesn’t matter, but I can definitely second your experiences, I usually get radioactivity as my fourth or fifth mutation, and it won’t go away until I’ve removed literally every mutation I have, which is quite annoying when you’re still mutating.
The only way to get a combination of good mutations is to have Robust Genetics, and then stockpile mutagens/purifiers and just try a bunch of times (Or savescum, but then you might as well just Debug it).
Alternative: Be Ridiculous Lucky™

One thing I’d like to see is a machine or facility that can allow you to target a specific mutation with a purifier, failure injuring you, breaking the machine and arcing lightning everywhere, irradiating the entire area, or mutating you even more, in order of probability of occurrence. Highly dependent on your skills, you would probably want high intelligence and 7-8 science/first aid for a high chance of success.

The time it’s gained doesn’t matter, but I can definitely second your experiences, I usually get radioactivity as my fourth or fifth mutation, and it won’t go away until I’ve removed literally every mutation I have, which is quite annoying when you’re still mutating.
The only way to get a combination of good mutations is to have Robust Genetics, and then stockpile mutagens/purifiers and just try a bunch of times (Or savescum, but then you might as well just Debug it).
Alternative: Be Ridiculous Lucky™

One thing I’d like to see is a machine or facility that can allow you to target a specific mutation with a purifier, failure injuring you, breaking the machine and arcing lightning everywhere, irradiating the entire area, or mutating you even more, in order of probability of occurrence. Highly dependent on your skills, you would probably want high intelligence and 7-8 science/first aid for a high chance of success.[/quote]

Huh. Might be some way to modify the CBM-installer whenever that gets seriously hammered out–have it go in and purify/remove the mutation in similar fashion to installing a CBM.

Can Mutagen still remove traits? Had that happen once or twice (earlier build)… and it’s really annoying when Mutagen removes your positive traits, since Purifier can’t give them back.

At the moment mutagen will only remove traits if you mutate towards something on the opposite end (for example if you have Pretty and the mutagen pushes you towards ugly then you will lose your pretty mutation.

Bear in mind that that’s being looked into: Git pull request for mutation-category enforcement.