Most default vehicles aren't enclosed

Currently, vehicles have gaps in them through which characters can walk in. This is because frames, wheels and some other parts do not limit movement over them.

What happens, is that the player can somehow squeeze themselves between a car’s tire and the fender, worming their way into the car like some sort of boneless mass. They can do that through the gap between the doors and windshield, oozing their way into cars without having to open them through some strange form of osmosis.

I don’t know how to fix it without heavily altering the default vehicle designs, maybe make a new smashable “enclosing” part you can place over frames and tires or something.

I second this. I remember suggesting a [frame] variant which restricted movement, but not weather or the like.

Maybe make it so you can put board over wheels?

Windshields can go over wheels and keep out weather. Though I think we should be able to put frames or boards over them too (and have room for very little else).

OP made me laugh. Yes, this has always seemed rather ridiculous. I always assumed the problem was simply that there were parts missing from the default designs that ought to exist on a proper car, resulting in something that would look like a cross between a car and a dune buggy.

The idea is that this part wouldn’t change the aesthetics of the car while making certain tiles impassable. So, in simple terms, it would be an invisible windshield which is explained as “Enclosing” the area, but is just as smasheable as glass.

You can also make it so that there being at least two regular impassable tiles around it is a prequisite, so it’s only used to plug holes like the ones currently in vehicles.

[quote=“Bladerock, post:6, topic:1594”]The idea is that this part wouldn’t change the aesthetics of the car while making certain tiles impassable. So, in simple terms, it would be an invisible windshield which is explained as “Enclosing” the area, but is just as smasheable as glass.

You can also make it so that there being at least two regular impassable tiles around it is a prequisite, so it’s only used to plug holes like the ones currently in vehicles.[/quote]
The main problem with this is that you would end up with metagamers not building any windshields in their cars because a single board in the middle will also fill the sides as well.

Really what I would like to see is a piece similar to a board that prevents movement but doesn’t prevent sight, possibly that is something like halfway between a windshield and a board in strength and that could be attached to wheels as well as to frames. (We could call it “moulding” or something similar).

I say we simply cover those spots in most vehicles with windshields (as glass exists on all sides of the passenger compartment in most cars anyway). I’ve seen people that put doors all around themselves instead of windshields. Though I still say (as I have suggested earlier) that we need some harder glass substitutes. Shatter resistant glass and some high tech version of it.

Transparent aluminum! That’s the ticket, laddy!

[quote=“i2amroy, post:7, topic:1594”]The main problem with this is that you would end up with metagamers not building any windshields in their cars because a single board in the middle will also fill the sides as well.

Really what I would like to see is a piece similar to a board that prevents movement but doesn’t prevent sight, possibly that is something like halfway between a windshield and a board in strength and that could be attached to wheels as well as to frames. (We could call it “moulding” or something similar).[/quote]
What if it opaques sight? That is to say, it makes a thinner blindspot than a full board in exchange for being smashable. (It would still make a solid blindspot like a board if you put a bunch of them in a row.)

You can also get in if the car isn’t standing horizontally, or vertically. That’s the limitation of tiles and digital positioning.
In real life windshields only shatter if something pointy hits them, or something really hard, so maybe it could be so if the windshield breaks it’s harder to see through and you’d have the option to break it. Also, doors should need glass panels, since they have windows too. Also, the frames at the front of the car shouldn’t block sight, since in real life you can just slightly move your head if you want to see behind them.