More Interesting Mutation Gain/Loss

Essentially, instead of that fur or those horns or whatever crazy growths or changes appear on your body just magically showing up, there should be cool/scary effects that take a bit of time to show up.

First of all, I believe there should be a brief waiting period before mutations actually show up on your body, to account for the fact that the mutagen needs to enter your system first.

Then, the effects occur. For example, if you got the 4 Tentacles mutation, the game would give you a series of messages like so:
“Your fingers begin shrinking into your hands!”
“Your arms grow longer and feel more flexible!”
“Both of your arms double, splitting into tentacles!”

If you got the horns mutation, there might be unpleasant effects as well:
“Horns burst painfully from your head!”

Effectively, you would get to see your character becoming horribly misshapen before your eyes (as much as a roguelike allows you to see, anyway).

It’s not really a game-changer, but it would make the effects of drinking that substance/eating that strange limb more obvious, and far more dramatic.

No love for Parasite Eve? :frowning:

But yeah, GlyphGryph’s ought to handle the first part (time delay), and I’ve started on the pain aspect with the pain and other effects in the injectable mutagens.

I’m inclined to support the rest of the flavor text–more is good–but mutation-specific text’ll need to wait until we can hang code on gain/loss of particular mutations. Might be technically possible now…but I’ll be looking to rework it fairly shortly for the thresholds/capstone mutations, so might try to work it in then.

I can only imagine the first time trying to figure out why “Your scalp itches and starts to peel where your scratching it” means, only to wake up a few days later with "You feel something solid under your itchy scalp. Two places that bleed as you try to pull out the anomaly."
Could be horns or antenna… or who know’s what, fungal stalks maybe.

I like.

[quote=“deadmerits, post:3, topic:4496”]I can only imagine the first time trying to figure out why “Your scalp itches and starts to peel where your scratching it” means, only to wake up a few days later with "You feel something solid under your itchy scalp. Two places that bleed as you try to pull out the anomaly."
Could be horns or antenna… or who know’s what, fungal stalks maybe.

I like.[/quote]

I would be freaking out if I was new again…

There have been a few suggestions for mutations over time, but I really like the idea of messages to go along with it. Prevents all the people who chug gallons of mutagen and purifier to get the “perfect” mutation set, anyway.

I’ve no problem with people who use lots of mutagen/purifier. It takes it out of your Health and–once I get into the code–will be pretty hard on your hunger/quench/Pain/fatigue as well.

You wanna mess with your body that badly, go ahead. Single-player game, no sense in blocking others’ fun.

I’ve no problem with people who use lots of mutagen/purifier. It takes it out of your Health and–once I get into the code–will be pretty hard on your hunger/quench/Pain/fatigue as well.

You wanna mess with your body that badly, go ahead. Single-player game, no sense in blocking others’ fun.[/quote]

I’m more annoyed by the lack of negative effects right now, and less that it’s possible. It does kind of make sense that if you drink enough stuff will happen really fast, but the current system is too easy IMO.

I dont know if anyone else thinks this, but drinking mutagen is kinda like drinking a magic potion. We have syringes and ‘’‘scientists’’’ carry them. I think shooting up mutagen might be cool and instead of glass flasks put it in little insulin bottles.

We do have shooting mutagen, it’s in the experimental version only though.

This is an excellent idea.