Mood - some things to make the game a bit more FUN (difficult)

I must have missed school when they taught discussion as everyone agreeing with you, Hyena. Sorry that people not feeling like you do makes you sad. Sorry that you can’t take the sarcasm you dish out. Don’t worry kid, it’ll get better when you’re older.

This escalated quickly… Everyone, please keep your cool, don’t lose temper and then feel depressed over a game.

Not directly related, but I’ll throw it here anyway. Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead is still a relatively new game on the roguelikes scene, since the successful Kickstarter comes a side effect is that a sudden influx of new players and demand for new contents, features AND the developers have to comply to that demand. I consider this game is in alpha state, why? Althought it’s playable it’s pretty much in the state that new contents are constantly added, and with that a constant stream of new bugs appear. This is what the alpha is for: To add as much features as you want (and wreck the game a little). Once the demand has died down to reasonable level, then it would make more sense to work on balance and game mechanic as things are more manageable, it’s the beta state. A more centralized development then would take place, even for a open source game, a centralized (and stricter even) development help keeping the focus on the direction the game’s heading and finalize gameplay mechanic.

In short, it’s pretty silly to feel depressed over a computer game that is constantly developed and changed every few hours. Also, IMO that the developers here are rather open-minded, they can sound harsh at times but you can’t expect them to be joyllyjolly all the time in a volunteer open source project. Have you been to Wesnoth forum? Try suggesting something a bit game-changing and see what you get. Hell they even have acronyms to deal with ideas like [WINR - Wesnoth Is Not Realistic], [WIN_ - Wesnoth Is Not…], [CABD - Can Already Be Done], [BWH - Been suggested before] and when I was there some years ago, about 10% suggestions posts have nothing but 1 or 2 replies using the acronyms above only. Not saying that the Wesnoth’s developers are worse but that’s just how things are.

This is pretty much what I was saying, it’s in beta and it’s got time to change - when DDA was a much smaller community, GlyphGryph and I back and forthed in a few threads and he really did (does) seem to have a good vision for the future of the game.

However, I really would encourage anyone with the time to work on the game to try and pay more attention to balance and to think up (or adjust) mechanics so that they can be fun AND challenging. I’m currently playing EU4, and it’s just that - difficult, but you always feel you’re getting somewhere/learning more.

People seem to be under the illusion that difficulty MUST equal tedium, and that’s not so. At the moment, we’re stuck in a situation where content is easy to make, so people are thinking ‘you know what would be cool - a chainsaw which shoots lazers’, so they put it in, it gets pulled, and you end up with OP weapons without the system to balance them.

But seriously, more than anything guys, stop with the mindless hostility - it nullifies all your past (good) points, as it just comes across childish.

If all the people who spend hours arguing about this game learned to code (or at least git/json), stopped talking to each other and started talking to devs (not at them), I wonder how things would be different.

Trust CDDA’s developers, because they like their project more than you do.

QFT.

So is some1 going to add a mood meter?
I need to do something with all my mystery novels and mephanphetamine.

It’d be cool if I only had to fill it once every two or three days so I can do other more important things like
craft a switchblade for eight hours without stopping.

I think mood management would be fun. It’d make keeping morale up more important!

Overall I like the idea of implementing some sort of more long term consequences to mood management. Not quite sure about the proposed implementation though.

(I echo the remark that all the hostility is ridicules. We are talking about a game here, nothing serious. Can’t we all have fun?)