Simple comforts

[center]Sitting down[/center]

Why not give players a slight morale boost for sitting in a comfortable chair? Waiting over a chair pretty much equates to sitting in it, so if a player spends a good amount of time sitting in a chair (Reading, Crafting, Waiting) they should get some sort of ‘Sat in a comfortable chair’ morale bonus.

[center]A bed fit for a king[/center]

I’ve always imagined that our perspective of the character is just bird’s eye view, and when they lay down in two square long beds they simply stretch out their legs to occupy the adjacent bed square whilst sleeping. If there’s only one bed tile I just imagine the character curls up into a sort of fetal position to sleep.

Why not give a moral bonus for sleeping in a large bed? As in, when you sleep on a bed tile, the game checks for adjacent bed tiles and you get a ‘Slept in a comfortable bed’ morale bonus upon waking up. Sleeping in those giant mansion beds would make ME feel godly, after all.

The morale bonus should be small-ish, but last for a good portion of a in-game day.

[center]I FEEL SO CLEAN[/center]

Soap is now in-game, let us practice personal hygiene! Having enough clean water in your inventory to use (10-15, about a gallon jug worth) and then (a)ctivating a soap bar should allow the player to strip down and wash themselves, receiving a +20-30 or so ‘Clean’ morale bonus that lasts for a couple days. Standing in shallow water could maybe count as well, but then again river water isn’t exactly clean.

I’m strictly against the player being penalized for forgoing pre-apocalypse comforts such as basic hygiene, sitting in chairs, and sleeping in comfortable beds, but I definitely believe they should be rewarded for it.

I like these ideas.

I like all but the soap idea.

Just a thought, but these are very /human/ comforts.

Perhaps some of them could be lost in post threshhold mutants?

Although little things like this can create immersion, I do worry that this would lead to a clutter of meaningless morale boosts if loads of very small morale changes were put in. These morale boosts (other than the bed one) would have to be small, and I think most people would forgo finding a chair and sitting in it for that small boost.

I’d suggest expanding the current framework to have a morale AND comfort system. The morale system is big things like having to kill NPCs, getting sick, withdrawal and stuff. Whereas the comfort system is more of a slider between ‘survivalist’ at one side and ‘comfortable’ at the other. These small changes could push you from one side to another, and they’d have various benefits, with comfortable having more pronounced ones.

I feel this might need to be a bit more passive (checking whats near the player) but things like better food and sleeping in a nice bed could give you a big boost.

I think the chairs and stuff should only be able to counteract stuff like dis-liked MRE and other small problems.

The problem is that the morale system is completely linear scale, which is fine, but it just means that if you’re not careful you can end up with making/encouraging the player to do lots of little things to build up the numbers.

If it was a more stratified system, with sort of ‘small morale/comforts’ and ‘major morale issues’ scales which worked independently then the small things would help more, but I doubt if people would be really bothered enough to make their player sit in a chair just to get a tiny bonus.

I’m watching NatGeo when this dude steps up in the picture, explaining how to “shop” for BioDiesel of your own making - from plant residue and stuff. Turns out that when you add lye to the mixture that’s supposed to yield fuel, further residue is glycerol - a chemical used for making soap.

I think that the next step is the one towards deciding if this kinda stuff (I really mean like that of Senrain) should be mainline or extra; maybe not the good-night sleep - regardless of bed type - or any trivia alike. If this story goes any further, lemme just admit I’m a great fan of sleeping bags and thunderstorm showers. :slight_smile:

You could have the soap in your inventory to have less essence, and feel better with its smell.

I would think that you wouldn’t ever just “wait” in a chair during a normal play, but you might read a book in a chair or in bed as opposed to just standing around. While you read it, it provides a continuous “comfortable” boost, sort of like reading with your mp3 player on (except not as strong a boost as that). The same thing could go for eating, if eating took some modest amount of time (I’m not really sure if it does now or not), and crafting. Realistically though, instead of tending towards 0, your morale should probably trend more towards -10 or so, and these boosts should be more like a return to some semblance of normalcy for a few minutes, rather than a genuinely happy feeling.

The bed one would work for moral if you had slept in something that wasn’t “This seems like a comfortable place to sleep”.

I don’t know about anyone else, but going from sleeping on a pull-out bed in a hotel with cockroaches, to a bed you can actually sleep in without having to curl up into a ball for warmth gives you a pretty fucking good feeling.

I just think that the small boosts seem a little bit needless currently. Morale isn’t a big issue most of the time, and it’s easy to use other things to boost it more significantly. Like, I can’t imagine ever bothering to wander over to the chair in the other part of my base to get a +2 boost. If it was more significant then it’d be a bit unrealistic, and would mean tediously having to go and find a chair to sit in before reading so you got the benefit.

I think the bed idea sounds alright though, as I agree that’s quite a big improvement.

[quote=“Mrnocamera, post:11, topic:5715”]The bed one would work for moral if you had slept in something that wasn’t “This seems like a comfortable place to sleep”.

I don’t know about anyone else, but going from sleeping on a pull-out bed in a hotel with cockroaches, to a bed you can actually sleep in without having to curl up into a ball for warmth gives you a pretty fucking good feeling.[/quote]

It could depend on your survival skill too.

I doubt I’m the only one who does it even without any boosts. It just seems right when you’re going to spend several hours with a book.

This seems like a good enough addition for the next release. It also actually adds a good point of building a chair in the [*] construction menu. When reading a boring/depressing book a chair could actually counteract the morale bonus.

Also, either a stupid or weird idea here, seeing as we can heal up wounds by sleeping overnight, what if there was some sort of ‘rest in chair’ or ‘rest in sofa’ option which isn’t to sleep, but to heal at about a half of the rate of a bed to pass the time or something, because when I get bored in cataclysm I usually end up floating in the middle of a toxic waste dump with mutations I never wish I had. Then I end up dead in the middle of a burning hotel.

So, yeah I think this idea would be great. Simple additions like this into cataclysm is what we need, and the point of this idea isn’t to go slaying a few jabberwocks on the quest to read on the chair ontop of Mount Doom to get a little moral bonus, the chair/bench/sofa whatever is just there if you need it.

[quote=“Goombah, post:4, topic:5715”]Just a thought, but these are very /human/ comforts.

Perhaps some of them could be lost in post threshhold mutants?[/quote]

Not necessarily. Cats find the most comfy place to lie down, do they not? :wink:

High-end Plant and Spider folks will have to make alternate accommodations*, and Fish/Cephalopod would probably shift their priorities as well once living underwater becomes a reasonable possibility.

*Chloromorphosis is planned to require diggable terrain to sleep at all, and Spiders Just Wouldn’t Be Comfortable outside their webs.

… Well then we should be able to get a pocket full of posies to counteract the smell of the dead everywhere… Demented as the child song is…thats really what its all about, smelling flowers instead of the dead and diseased all around you. Id likely keep a car freshener in my front pocket if this were to happen, but it would be cool to see
that said i like the idea if done in moderation and they don’t give large moral bonuses, seeing as with reading it would seem sitting would make the task 100x easier if the bonus was too high.

[quote=“Alpha, post:17, topic:5715”]… Well then we should be able to get a pocket full of posies to counteract the smell of the dead everywhere… Demented as the child song is…thats really what its all about, smelling flowers instead of the dead and diseased all around you. Id likely keep a car freshener in my front pocket if this were to happen, but it would be cool to see
that said i like the idea if done in moderation and they don’t give large moral bonuses, seeing as with reading it would seem sitting would make the task 100x easier if the bonus was too high.[/quote]
Just use Febreze that shit kills everything!

That’s fine if you want to Role Play it and whatever, but from a game design perspective it’s not a great idea. Making the player get a small boost for something tedious kinda encourages them to waste their time dragging up small boosts to counteract similar small negative penalties.

If there was a separate comfort system to morale system then it’d be different, but at the moment you can just use an mp3/drugs to get waaaaay better morale boosts without the bother of finding/using a chair.

[quote=“KA101, post:16, topic:5715”][quote=“Goombah, post:4, topic:5715”]Just a thought, but these are very /human/ comforts.

Perhaps some of them could be lost in post threshhold mutants?[/quote]

Not necessarily. Cats find the most comfy place to lie down, do they not? :wink:

High-end Plant and Spider folks will have to make alternate accommodations*, and Fish/Cephalopod would probably shift their priorities as well once living underwater becomes a reasonable possibility.

*Chloromorphosis is planned to require diggable terrain to sleep at all, and Spiders Just Wouldn’t Be Comfortable outside their webs.[/quote]

I did say /some/ and not all. If cat mutants can get morale bonuses for finding a sun beam in through the window, that’d work too. :wink: