Moisture traps

For those times when you’ve used all you water and are thirsty with no water source around, you could build a moisture trap of some kind. I know it’s possible and there are many different methods; everything from a tarp with a rock and a bucket, to a small bush or leafy branch with a plastic bag tied around it.

any thoughts?

perhaphs one of them where you put unclean water in middle and glass above for the moisture to condensate and run into the pan below.

I have a copy of the U.S. Army Survival Manual, but I’ve lent it to a friend - when I get it back, I’ll definitely look to see what it suggests. This should be a possible [*]-construction.

Yes! I remember reading about that, too!

[quote=“Packbat, post:3, topic:9058”]I have a copy of the U.S. Army Survival Manual, but I’ve lent it to a friend - when I get it back, I’ll definitely look to see what it suggests. This should be a possible [*]-construction.

Yes! I remember reading about that, too![/quote]

Same. the sediment and crap is left behind.

There would finally be a use for all the plates/glasses in homes

[quote author=Packbat link=topic=9718.msg225335#msg225335 date=1425610892]
I have a copy of the U.S. Army Survival Manual, but I’ve lent it to a friend - when I get it back, I’ll definitely look to see what it suggests. This should be a possible [*]-construction.

That reminds me i did see a survival guide in a cabinet somwhere

Well we all know The Zombie Survival Guide is surprisingly lacking in actual survival tips aside from the shockingly obvious. Still a humus read though ^^

It has some actual tips. For example, knocking on the door - it helps in labs a lot.

XD been a while since I read it. must have forgotten that one. I haven’t seen much difference in knocking or not. I still fight them, and normally they let themselves be known before you have to knock.

It does make difference when you’re a 0 skill mutant who can’t handle skitterbots or bio-ops.

what did you think I was doing? I find that throwing is OP if you know your going to be fighting ahead of time and stock appropriately. use night vis and get three spaces away and manual throw into the dark space where they are. Check they are there/haven’t moved and repeat. Also you find mobs you are not prepared to fight such as cyborgs, lure them into the nearest dissector, and if they live repeat. All problems I have faced in labs have not been solvable with knocks on the door.

back to moisture traps. Sounds like a great addition, leaves one will probably be a terrain construction but I think the others will just be normal crafting with appropriate materials. At the same time though… I haven’t had any problems with keeping enough water around. Especially with the new shelters.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:10, topic:9058”]what did you think I was doing? I find that throwing is OP if you know your going to be fighting ahead of time and stock appropriately. use night vis and get three spaces away and manual throw into the dark space where they are. Check they are there/haven’t moved and repeat. Also you find mobs you are not prepared to fight such as cyborgs, lure them into the nearest dissector, and if they live repeat. All problems I have faced in labs have not been solvable with knocks on the door.

back to moisture traps. Sounds like a great addition, leaves one will probably be a terrain construction but I think the others will just be normal crafting with appropriate materials. At the same time though… I haven’t had any problems with keeping enough water around. Especially with the new shelters.[/quote]

lol, back on track it looks like :=). Sometimes I’ve started out in the wilderness without a single building in sight, no river or swamp land, no triffid plant monster things to get water sacks from, NOTHING but trees and clearings. not even a road. those are the times when I find that water is scarce.

AHHH that makes sense then… should be some way to make a funnel out of wood or something. That would be an easy enough solution… but you would need proper crafting knowledge. Whittling like a pro would still call for a book to show you how or lots of practice…probably both. Searching the shrubs for stuff should be helpful in getting along, although I don’t think there is a way to get water through it, only empty containers.

well what about tree tapping? tapping the tip of a knife into a large hardwood and then inserting some kind of tube/straw/nail into the slit to redirect water. You can get about half a bottle of sweet water in about an hour. it goes bad by the next day, but it’s water that even has some sugar in it

Oh that would be a cool addition :smiley:

Can’t believe it took me so long to remember it.

It would also probably need to be a construction. but then you 'A’ctivate a bottle and leave it on the same tree tile to be filled. each tree can only provide about a bottles worth (depending on the size) before you risk the trees health.

XD definitely one Id remember…probably…maybe… yea I can see me forgetting that too for unfathomable reasons.