Middle of Nowhere Businesses

Last Chance Gas stations, Middle of Nowhere Arm & A Leg mechanic shops, Nowhere Diners that kind of thing.

As it stands right now, you’ll occasionally find labs, bunkers, mining operations, and other kinds of things in the middle of nowhere, but admittedly it’s nothing all that useful if you don’t have the right equipment. It forces players to either hope they get lucky assaulting a camp, the RNG blesses them with a fairly easy downed chopper spawn, or some other blessing sent by the RNG.

[size=12pt]Last Chance Gas[/size]
A “Last Chance Gas” station would have one, maybe two pumps and definately be old fashioned, none of these fancy computerized pumps around here. You’ve got a better chance for gas (Because who’s out here to ‘buy’ it?) and a small convenience store inside, some snacks, some milk, nothing fancy. 0 to 3 zombies inside, nothing hugely threatening.

Commonly spawns low-end snacks & drinks, extremely low risk, Gasoline on-par with mining locations but with a diesel pump too. An ATM and vending machines should rarely spawn here.

[size=12pt]Handy-Man Shop[/size]
The middle of nowhere mechanic is a similar idea. A poorly stocked mechanic’s shop in the middle of nowhere, probably with an attached house. Single bay type setup. Small chance for a small gun (A revolver, a handgun, maybe a double barrel, nothing advanced or really noteworthy.) and maybe some similarly disappointing ammo. (Because when a mechanic asks 500 dollars for some tire sealant you gotta have a bargaining token.) You’re not going to find solar panels, electric engines, or V12 Engines here. Strictly low-tech good old fashioned gas engines. Small, small chance of a broken car, pickup, or flatbed truck spawning in the repair bay. (Needs a new engine, tires, whatever) 0 to 3 zombies inside plus a small chance of up to 2 child zeds spawning, higher chance of at least one spawning.

Low-End mechanic tools, rarely some vehicle parts, nothing better than a V6 engine. Extremely low risk, equally low reward. An ATM should have even odds of spawning here, and a vending machine should rarely spawn here.

[size=12pt]Diner[/size]
And let’s not forget a good ol fashioned truck stop diner. Slap a parking lot on this one, but again another easy to get some basic supplies from kinda setup. Inside maybe a couple meals on the diner’s booths and bar, some diner style supplies in the back area waiting to be turned into cheap, greasy food. Some knives, pots, pans, that kinda thing. Small chance of a car or two spawning in the parking lot (It’d be great if we could increase the zombie spawns in turn.) 0 to 6 zombies inside.

Low-Quality fast foods, small chance of “The other white meat” spawning, never know what’s going on in those middle of nowhere diners huh? Low-Risk, Lower reward. An ATM should rarely spawn here. Might be able to spawn in towns as well.

[size=12pt]Truck Stop[/size]
Truck Stops are some nicely needed things to, less rare than the above mentioned areas, it would feature a tiny, primarily diesel gas station, a small fast food location, and an attached (to the gas station) mechanic’s shop. Ideally a 2 by 2 spawn. A step up from the above mentioned things in the direction of being able to move into city territory. 3 to 12 zombies and a parking lot capable of spawning a small assortment of semi-modern cars, and an extremely low chance of spawning a Semi truck without the trailer.

Similar to the above locations but with higher quality, and risk. ATMs and Vending Machines should definitely spawn here. Low risk, low reward.

[size=12pt]Rest Stop[/size]
Along the turnpike and highways are occasional “rest stop” areas. They’re just small bathrooms in the middle of nowhere with a nearby park, and a couple vending machines. 0 to 1 zombies, extremely small chance of a car or pickup spawning.

Lots of Toilets and Sinks. No counters, a small stash of cleaning supplies in a middle room somewhere. A couple ATMs and several vending machines should definitely spawn here. Non-Existent risk, nearly non-existent reward.

Basically, some nice ‘beginner friendly’ less RNG dependent areas. Thoughts?

Good ideas, but I’m not sure about how good is current mapgen at handling this kind of thing.
Apparently the mapgen code is rather old and not maintained by anyone right now.
Your ideas would require having the ability to generate buildings by the road/near crossroads rather than as a part of a city or at by the end of a road.

It seems to be capable of that to an extent now, but the mapgen code could definitely use some love. I seem to remember middle of nowhere gas stations being a thing a long time ago…

It can happen. There’s a newish building, a warehouse, that spawns on the side of roads.

Yup.

It seems to be capable of that to an extent now, but the mapgen code could definitely use some love. I seem to remember middle of nowhere gas stations being a thing a long time ago…[/quote]

What, they were taken out? I was thinking i was really unlucky.

It seems to be capable of that to an extent now, but the mapgen code could definitely use some love. I seem to remember middle of nowhere gas stations being a thing a long time ago…[/quote]

What, they were taken out? I was thinking i was really unlucky.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s that they were taken out so much as the mountains upon mountains of old confusing code are starting to cave in on themselves and create bugs XD Purely speculation though

What, they were taken out? I was thinking i was really unlucky.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s that they were taken out so much as the mountains upon mountains of old confusing code are starting to cave in on themselves and create bugs XD Purely speculation though[/quote]

Dang. They were quite the best lifesavers and bases though. Wanting them back.

The gas stations are still there, they just became very uncommon for some reason.

The random gas stations are still there. They use the same placement system as motels. It isn’t necessarily old and bug-riddled, more like old and poorly implemented. Essentially, buildings that don’t spawn in towns are specials. The special placement system splits the maps up into sectors, picks a random point from each sector, then evaluates that point for what it can place there. This means rng will have a huge impact on whether or not these buildings spawn. It has to somehow pick a point directly adjacent to a road in order to place a special like that there. I think gas stations disappeared for a little while because they were set to spawn 100 tiles away from any city, which resulted them being super rare. One problem you get with this system is the situation where the game decides to place a sewage plant outside of town, then it builds a road connecting the plant to the town, then the game decides to place a motel on that road. It’s pretty funny when you think about it.

I think gas stations are a lil OP in that they are completely unguarded. Or at least they were. Devs?

Inasmuch as they’re free gasoline, yeah. Once the automated stations get diesel support, I’d be fine with them taking over the urban market.

Nah, one thing we could do is to add small groups of static NPCs already controlling the station, they may not be hostile at first, but wouldn’t take kindly to you just siphoning their gasoline away. There’s not a very high difference in difficulty between the automated and normal ones, plus having to buy your gasoline is very uhh unapocalyptic.

So turns out there was a little issue making wilderness gas stations too rare, but a fix is PRed for it now.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yay