Man made basement

Hello folks, is there any way to make your own basement/cave? I want to construct my own fortress and was hoping I could use a shovel or a jackhammer to make my own underground section under my walls. Is there any way to do this? Thanks

you cant make your own stairs so you need a set to do that but you can use a jackhammer to carve out tunnels but its pretty costly in terms of gas

I have a plastic jerrycan full of gas (8000 units I think). Does that mean that I can fill up the jackhammer 80 times since it seems to hold 100 units?

i think jackhammer holds 120 units and uses 10 unit per action, so 8000 units - 800 uses
it took me least than half of big jerrycan to dig out few new rooms in LMOE shelter, a really big rooms

Works really well if you kill a trapdoor spider(harder than it sounds, depending on how you’re built up) and steal its cave. They’re hard to find though

Unfortantly I have never found a trap-door spider yet.

Look for a block of webbing in the forest. There’s a hole somewhere in there, and underneath is ol’ Shelob.

Go to webs, break all of them, find hole, go into hole, get pounced by spider, rage out.

So, I should just molotov the whole place is what you’re saying?

Why not just use a regular cave?

That also works. Caves tend to be closer to civilization as well, and much easier to access by car, since you don’t need to chop down a line of trees to get there. But then the question becomes what are you more capable of fighting more, ol’ Shelob or a bear?

Digging out your own basements is planned. It just requires a bit of a rework of how the game handles z-level transitions. Right now it teleports you to the first stair it finds on the level you want to go to, which is why it’s always I think the top left stair.

I’d be more worried about a cave full of rats than a bear, especially toward the beginning.

As for the webs, you don’t need a molotov. You can just drop a branch in the webs and use a lighter on it. A molotov would be faster though.

As for the webs, you don't need a molotov. You can just drop a branch in the webs and use a lighter on it. A molotov would be faster though.

I used a molotov because I didn’t want to get close to the spiders in the web and have them start chasing me. Spiders are tougher then I expected them to be and already have lost a couple characters do them.

You shouldn’t worry too much about it. Web spiders are pretty slow and don’t give chase as much. They’re the weakest if you don’t go into the web.

it teleports you to the first stair it finds on the level you want to go to

How did you find that?
This might be important for a concept of multistoreyed buildings (appartments/hotels/…), not only for basement creation.