Experience Bug

For a few days now I’ve noticed that, at least in the experimental builds, cutting, piercing, rifle, and pistol XP cannot be gained from anything but books. In the case of cutting and piercing, the xp all becomes bashing (even if bashing xp is disabled and the weapon does no bashing damage). In the case of pistol and rifles, the xp just seems to fall into oblivion. I have not tested marksmanship and archery, so, whoever looks at this, might want to look at those as well.

This occurs on the windows tiles build, and has been tested with the nailgun, cXstorm, katana, long string, knife spear, pointed stick (wood spear), Ruger red hawk, makeshift/stone knives, and the sword thing like a foil (I forgot the name, its the one that’s actually deadly and designed explicitly for stabbing).

Also, at least with melee, I can confirm that it says things like “cut” and “pierce” in the attack description, despite no such xp being gained.

There are a few things that prevent you from gaining skill with practice, some of which are bugs.

1. If you do less than 10 damage of any given type in melee, you don’t practice anything but basic melee. with a lot of weapon/monster combinations it’s difficult for cutting and piercing to meet that threshold.
    1a. PR inbound to fix this by marking the highest damage time as eligible for practice regardless of the total.
  2. If your accuracy based on your skill exceeds the accuracy of the gun you’re using, you can’t practice. This reflects the fact that you can’t tell whether it’s the gun or your skill causing you to miss, so you can’t correct yourself. From a game balance POV it creates an incentive for getting a better gun. This is working as intended, and it should print a message occasionally warning you that you can’t get any better with your current gun.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:2, topic:6769”]There are a few things that prevent you from gaining skill with practice, some of which are bugs.

1. If you do less than 10 damage of any given type in melee, you don’t practice anything but basic melee. with a lot of weapon/monster combinations it’s difficult for cutting and piercing to meet that threshold.
    1a. PR inbound to fix this by marking the highest damage time as eligible for practice regardless of the total.
  2. If your accuracy based on your skill exceeds the accuracy of the gun you’re using, you can’t practice. This reflects the fact that you can’t tell whether it’s the gun or your skill causing you to miss, so you can’t correct yourself. From a game balance POV it creates an incentive for getting a better gun. This is working as intended, and it should print a message occasionally warning you that you can’t get any better with your current gun.[/quote]

That explains the stone knife, nailgun, and long string, but not the rest.

Regardless, I’m glad its being addressed :slight_smile: