Differentiate the size of creatures while you have infared vision

After two encounters with Jabberwocks that occurred in a very short span of time, two harmless looking ?'s that turned out to be something to run away from very quickly, I wondered…

Why can’t we differentiate the size of a creature from it’s thermal signature? Here’s my suggestion.

. = Small creature, such as a squirrel, a rabbit, certain spiders, fungaloid spores perhaps?

? = Medium sized creatures such as your run of the mill zombies, deer, moose, other creatures about that size.

! = Large creatures to run away from very quickly, such as bears, JABBERWOCKS, stuff like that.

It wouldn’t hurt if it gave you a textual size description when you ';'looked at it, either.

I wholly agree with this idea. Perhaps the same for sound volume?

Well, it would be a bit tedious to examine every thermal signature you see. You can probably tell at a glance whether something is huge or tiny, which is why I’m suggesting this.

Also @ Xommers that would be an awesome idea, brilliant really.

Sound does seem like it would be based off of volume rather then creature size though, and I can imagine a particularly dangerous creature with light steps, so that it appears to be something smaller until you actually see it.

Sound does seem like it would be based off of volume rather then creature size though, and I can imagine a particularly dangerous creature with light steps, so that it appears to be something smaller until you actually see it.[/quote]

Well, I imagine a loud, alarming sound such as glass breaking would appear differently to say… the shambling footsteps of a zombie.

[quote=“Senrain, post:4, topic:1863”][quote=“Narc, post:2, topic:1863”]It wouldn’t hurt if it gave you a textual size description when you ';'looked at it, either.[/quote]Well, it would be a bit tedious to examine every thermal signature you see. You can probably tell at a glance whether something is huge or tiny, which is why I’m suggesting this.[/quote]I’m not suggesting being able to ';'examine them instead of this, I’m suggesting it’s a useful addition to this. At the very least, it would make it possible to understand what the ./?/! mean without having to go out of game for it.

Aha. I figure the .?! system would be enough to get the information you need to tell whether you should approach a heat signature with caution. Perhaps examining the signature would give a slightly more detailed description.

• This heat signature is the size of your fist.
  • This heat signature is the size of a basketball.
  • This heat signature is the size of a easy chair.
  • This heat signature is the size of a person.
  • This heat signature is the size of a small automobile.
  • This heat signature is enormous!

I think we need a fridge/couch size category before moving on to cars.

Well, yeah. Just giving a quick example.

Well, yeah. Just giving a quick example.[/quote]

I always figured fridges were vaguely the size of a dude, just slightly more square. They’re especially similar if you’re in Minecraft. Sofa is a bit bigger though, so that does kinda make sense.

Perhaps some other descriptors, like “it moves on all fours” for things like cougars and zombie dogs, and “it’s obviously bi-pedal” or “It’s flying in the air” for other animals? Also, “It’s in the ground, under your feet” for worms.

Well, yeah. Just giving a quick example.[/quote]

I always figured fridges were vaguely the size of a dude, just slightly more square. They’re especially similar if you’re in Minecraft. Sofa is a bit bigger though, so that does kinda make sense.

Perhaps some other descriptors, like “it moves on all fours” for things like cougars and zombie dogs, and “it’s obviously bi-pedal” or “It’s flying in the air” for other animals? Also, “It’s in the ground, under your feet” for worms.[/quote]

That would be good as well. Hope we can actually see some of this implemented.

Other things infrared should detect: recently used vehicles, fires, recently ejected ammo cases, powered consoles, generators.