Cigarettes as a de-facto currency?

well, 2 things: barter in postapo is natural choice as long as remains of civilization wont go out of shock, then with rebuilding some form of ‘worthless’ currency take over because people are kinda used to have one, altho it would work only inside of certain groups, and vary from one to another.

universal ‘non-worthless’ currency like cigs, drugs or bullets shouldn’t work on itself, but -especially bullets- are good filler for bater system (aka stuff that everyone would accept) - not everyone would like to take said chicken but maybe bag of chips and few bullets.
as for counterfeiting - fake bullets are to risky to be given away, besides how one make fake bullet? (maybe without the powder, but that would be instantly noticeable), and as for cigs - as long as you can smoke it its real deal.
various meds would probably work great too - also easy to counterfeit, but consider that - trying to con somebody in world where everyone carries loaded gun and there is no law to deal with him shooting you for trying to give him fake drugs?

[quote=“GalenEvil, post:19, topic:404”]For bartering to work, IMO:

• NPCs with need based motivations – hungry NPC offers more for food, NPC sitting at a farm with lots of crops probably wouldn’t offer much for your food unless you have something special (like game meats if they suck at hunting and don’t have any domestic animals).
  • NPCs with quirks – hoarder NPC might want to get all your shiny baubles and trinkets (necklaces and such) and be willing to offer a decent amount for such things. Super cleanfreak NPC might want all of your bleach. Pyro NPC might be willing to part with foodstuffs in order to get ahold of your lighter and a few bottles of gasoline since they just ran out of both of these.

Basically, the NPCs will impart a personal value onto each item according to their wants/needs/other personality traits. Potentially an NPC that you have had good trade relations with in the past could give you better deals, or if they move in with some other faction maybe put in a good word for you when you come by to hock your wares. It would be a very cool and dynamic system, but also I feel is going to be a long-term goal starting from when NPCs become non-gamebreaking.

I really hope it happens though ^_^[/quote]

This, so very very much. Everyone will want water/food tools, bullets and weapons. they’d have value because they’re useful and help people survive-- and as stated stuff like bullets would be accepted readily because even if someone doesn’t have a gun, they could easily sell them to someone with one. Gold bars would be nearly worthless since you couldn’t do anything with them. Luxury items again would be high priced (aka cigs, chocolate, MREs, recreational drugs, booze) because luxury.

Also guys, I really don’t understand why MREs are negative enjoyability. So it’s not a damn full-course steak dinner, this is the apocalypse. It’s sealed, safe, non-perishable food.

Has anyone here actually ever had one? They’re edible and if they’re hot they’re pretty nice. Additionally it’s very easy to cook them. American MREs are boil-in-the-bag, you just slip in the sachet of foodgoop and add water, there’s a chemical reaction between the water and some powder that rapidly heats the water up to scalding temperatures. English rations even have stuff like sugar/tea/coffee/tabasco/Chocolate pudding, custard etc, although from what I’ve seen you need to boil them by hand with a fire and mess tin.

Yes, Chocolate pudding in a rat-pack. Personally I couldn’t stand the stuff, because it’s thick as hell. Can’t stand chocolate pudding myself, much less thick chocolate pudding. Again, it’s actually pretty nice hot-- like everything else you boil the pudding in the sachet in a mess tin.

I frequently bring them camping and do rather enjoy them. But generally for balance it needs at least some minor downside. Maybe most soldiers were robots, so the food is complete lowest bidder crap.

Also, most brit MREs are boil in the bag as well.

Yeah. Variable values for items based on need would be ace.

I’d love to see NPCs with a bit of personality, and who reappear consistently in different places. It would make them more meaningful than containers for loot which you open with a bullet to the face.

It’s not about what it isn’t, but more about what it is. Apparently American MREs have a history of notoriety going as far back as WWII, and the initials have been adlibbed to mean things emphasizing the horrible taste; Mr. E (Mystery), Meals Rejected by Etheopians/the Enemy, Meals Refusing to Excrete (apparently, they have a low fiber content), and so on. I’m pretty sure now they taste better, but assuming your character is consuming everything in the ration, I’m pretty sure there are a few things in there that are just flat out disgusting, like the chocolate you mentioned.

This should probably go into a suggestions thread, but I found a few fun things Wiki-diving that could be included in the military surplus stores or maybe exclusive to the military bunkers and outposts, like the FSR (First Strike Ration), and the HOOAH! Bar. Maybe the latter could replace or accompany the chocolate bars you find in the surplus stores?

American MREs are cook in bag as well. French MREs are apparently the best around.

As the game hints that it’s after 2033 (see H&K G80 Railgun page) it is sort of safe to assume that most money is electronic.

I wanted to mention the French MREs, but I couldn’t find anything official about the quality of their rations, and my only sources about that are some random guy’s blog and Metal Gear Solid 4.

They also are said to contain wine.

I checked up on Mreinfo.com, and apparently they used to, but not anymore.

I also looked up information about the Flameless Ration Heater. I had a suspicion as to how it worked. The FRH is made of powdered iron, magnesium, and sodium. The latter two, being alkaline metals, react violently with water. I believe the iron helps retain the heat. The chemical reaction also generates a lot of hydrogen, which is very reactive to heat, so don’t smoke around an FRH in use.

perhaps you can trap it for ammo.

As a soldier, I can tell you that American MRE’s are fantastic! …When you first have 'em. They get old when you’re forced to eat them over and over again. Some of them are great, and some of them not so great. Really, the quality is highly dependent and personal taste, but in general if you have to eat them cold, it’s not a great meal. All of them are sanitary hot or cold, but you generally wanna do things like scrap the preservative meat gel off the burger patty before eating it cold. And they aren’t notorious for low fiber, but for constipating you. They also have a ton of sodium in them, which we’re told helps with water retention.

Honestly, if you want something more realistic, I think the balance for MRE’s should be that they disassemble into multiple little meals, which have various cooking times, enjoyment and (once cooked) spoil times. If you get a spaghetti, it’s bearable cold, and hot it’s pretty good. If you have a cheese omelette, it’s horrifying cold and heated up is still terrible. Add in tobasco/salt/pepper packets to either increase enjoyment or minimize disgust.

Net result: MRE’s split into a bunch of small meals, which are balanced out to be roughly the same nutritional value for each MRE. Some are mostly good cold, most are really bad cold. If you don’t heat them up, they’ll last for a year+, if you heat them up, you’d probably better use them in a day or two. Overall the MRE can either be used to eat quickly and just get some calories, at the cost of morale, or most items can be heated to make them more enjoyable, which takes a significant bit of time. Optionally each MRE comes with a chemical heater bag and each main entree (typically two-three per MRE) comes inside a cardboard box, which could be used to cook them via fire.

Far as the heaters go, they take a small amount of water to use, which is not packaged with the MRE. I tend to take a small mouthful of water and then spit it in, since that measures it out pretty well (if probably not all that sanitary). The hard part of the heaters is using them for more than one thing. There are all kinds of tricks where you cram parts of the meal and the heater into the cardboard boxes, or slip them inside the heater bags, etc. Takes a little bit of experience to get them down.

Also, the heaters can be used to make MRE bombs, which I’m sure you can find a video for on youtube. Basically a short delay noisemaker at it’s basic level. Would be useful for tossing away to distract zeds who can’t see you, like during a night raid.

Aaaand back on topic, I think that mostly the issue of what to use as a basic currency will resolve itself. It’ll end up being an object that most NPCs will accept, which is light or no weight or volume and can be easily transported. And something that’s decently common and separable into small denominations so it’s easy to the trade even. Cigarettes seem like a good choice for this, as do most drugs/medical supplies.

rings perhaps?