Changing skill levels from 1-10 to 1-100?

I’ve been playing a run-through without books (except for recipes etc…). I am finding the flow & pacing of the mid-game to be alot more realistic/organic as you actually have to find ways to skill-up everything through use, gathering materials and figuring out the best methods and such. Much more enjoyable than raiding a couple libraries and camping out in a safe space with books,300 dehydrated meats and a 100L drum of fresh water in my opinion…

My solution to this problem would be to eliminate skill gains from reading books entirely and just have certain books provide a skill xp bonus when you use the appropriate skills after having read the book. (I.E. read popular mechanics for 1 hr and gain a bonus of 50% to all mechanics xp gained in the next 24 hrs as long as your mechanics skill is below 3). This makes more sense realistically too as that is how we would all do it in real life if we were trying to learn a skill: read the book then get some real world experience trying to put to use the theories and concepts thereby learned and only truly mastering the skill after both book learning and practical experience.

1 Like

Honestly, I could dispense skills altogether and go with only recipes. If you know the recipe and you have the materials, you can craft it.

Here’s a simple idea. Track skill experience gain via books and via practical use. If one is more than 30% above the other (say) then start giving messages like “You feel you would learn more with some practical experience.” or “You feel you lack theoretical knowledge.” and slow the skill exp gain for the category you have more of.

1 Like

project zomboid uses books as XP multipliers for skill ranges of the corresponding skill
novice =1-2 amateur =3-4 etc… think it would be easier to implement, and if default xp gain was slowed to make the boost not excesive… that could be a way to do it and achieve similar results if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like