Cataclysm Player Hardware Survey

You should try with a console like urxvt. Its really fast. The console i had by default on linux ran the game slowly but urxvt runs it like a champ and never had slowdowns with it.

Expecting roguelikes to require more than an office computer on a coffee break is like wishing for wine when opening cardboard milk.

My exact thoughts on the subject

Well there’s a lot of resource heavy simulation going on in this one… like burning down hospitals.

And eating fetuses!
Anywho, I might as well fill out this survey. I need a reliable internet connection so I have an excuse to build a good desktop rather than just my laptop… /issadbecausemehcomputer

I’m pretty sure that in time we’d all wish for neat explosions, continuous effects throughout the world map and even eyecandy for mouse and pointer. Writing from only what I know of, that could be a task for a 1 GHz processor with at least half a gig of RAM; and that is only because it would still be based on the old-style code. On the other hand, considering what the game has to “calculate”, latest gdi (cataclysm.exe) builds are freakishly, stunningly fast. I’m not sure exactly what you guys did, but I reckon the whole community gives much, much credit for that.

Im surprised that theres so few linux users in the poll. The game runs so much better on the linux curse version for me.That and linux is a better OS overall.

I used to run Linux, but my new computer came with Windows so I’ve started doing a bunch more PC gaming (which sadly isn’t very Linux friendly, but it’s getting better!). I’m thinking about dual-booting Ubuntu, or maybe Fedora, eventually.

Speaking of fast (once again) Tiny-LX with some plugs (which works on a 16 meg machine, or so) running Cataclysm_DDA is a joy to watch. It’s really unperceivable until you see it. :smiley: