Blazemod save-compatibility break incoming

Hey there guys, me again here with big news about blazemod.

First up thanks to everyone who gave feedback in the previous thread on discourse and elsewhere, it’s really been a huge help.

Now to get into the meat of it: my overall PR for modernising blazemod is now finished on github for those of you who haven’t seen it yet. It will not be getting committed as one part however. Over the week I’m going to be opening PR’s doing different sections of the overall changes in bite-size format so that the changes are easier to review for the developers.

What this means for you, the player however, is that if you’re using the change to the obsolete tag (as blazemod is currently obsolete) while playing latest experimental, that it will break save-game compatibility probably with the first PR being committed, and probably a couple of times inbetween as well until the final changes to bring it up to date are finished.

Basically, saves with blazemod in them are going to break, repeatedly, for about a week or so while it’s being brought up to standard. If you play latest experimental, this is a heads up and warning of such.

The end result has been somewhat extensively tested by myself and some fantastic volunteers, though I will still be looking forward to feedback once it’s done.

There will be more additions and changes to blazemod in the future once this modernisation is done, hopefully without any need to break save-game compatibility- most of the reason it’s happening now are practices with regards to the ID’s of content that has been added that have not aged well, as well as other conventions, and some of the stuff being outright redundant by now, but still in the game.

For those curious, the PR’s will also include a quick hotfix to the tankmod still in the repo, which is dependent on blazemod. That mod itself is in a weird place and while military vehicular content will want to be integrated into the basegame more than it is currently, implementation will have to be seriously improved. There are loose plans around this, but not a current priority.

Questions and feedback are welcome, the PR has most if not all considerations in the form of comments, both on the PR and the code within the PR itself. Future ideas for blazemod are discussed a little bit more in the comments at the previously linked discourse thread. There is also feedback on a reddit post around the same time, and a new one that is a mirror of this thread.

Anywho, hope this information is useful to people, again just ask if you have any questions.

3 Likes