Beginner question: Why can't I take control of a vehicle?

Something seems to be preventing me from driving cars.

I’ve checked that they have wheels.
I’ve checked that they have controls.
I’ve checked that they have gasoline.
I’ve checked that they have a top speed showing.
I’ve checked that none of the important items are colored red or gray in damage.

Everything looks fine. But when I get in the driver’s seat and hit ^, I’m only presented with the options to:

[ul][li]turn the engine off[/li]
[li]turn the lights on[/li]
[li]honk the horn[/li]
[li]do nothing[/li][/ul]

Whenver I try to press 8 on the number pad to start the car driving forward, the character simply moves around inside the car instead.

Am I missing something? I did a playthrough last year and never trouble driving cars that I found or built. Can’t seem to figure out what’s going on here. Any ideas?

Has the vehicle got a seat in the wpot the controls are?

You need one to drive cars.

Ah ha! That was it. The seat was gray with damage. Thanks!

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:2, topic:6565”]Has the vehicle got a seat in the wpot the controls are?

You need one to drive cars.[/quote]

Which doesn’t really make sense to me,I think it would be better for you to get morale penalties instead of outright now being able to drive the thing.

[quote=“blazing glory, post:4, topic:6565”][quote=“John Candlebury, post:2, topic:6565”]Has the vehicle got a seat in the wpot the controls are?

You need one to drive cars.[/quote]

Which doesn’t really make sense to me,I think it would be better for you to get morale penalties instead of outright now being able to drive the thing.[/quote]

I can’t really see how you’d be able to drive without a seat. You’d be hanging off the steering wheel and leaning at a weird angle to reach the pedals, no?

Not to mention that even if you moved the pedals in order to use them standing, it would be pretty damn hard to keep you balance during curves/ braking/ accelerating. Its pretty safe to say that you need a place to seat to control vehicles.

IRL i can control and drive my bicycle without saddle so with high driwing skills lack of seat should give negative morale but still is possible to control vehicle

Bicycle?
Sure, you don’t really need a seat to use one.

Car?
Ha, good luck.