Are there meteors that fall during the game?

I ask if there’s meteors because, here I am on spring day 1. I had just made a small supply run and acquired some food drink and books. I huddled near the computer terminal to read and I’m interrupted but a spam of you hear a loud crash and it was a combination of North and West. I stop and go look to see and the entire north and west sections of the evac shelter is rubble and flame. I search quickly to see if I can find any clues like if it was a chopper crash or a car ran into the building or something but nothing showed. I had no way to deal with the fire so I moved away and watch the entire evac shelter burn to the ground walls and all. The stairs to the basement remained however but still. Day 1 and my hideout went bye bye, if I was messing with chemicals or explosives id understand I did it to myself but man I was only reading a survival magazine ><

really hard to tell, mines (not sure if they can start fire), I have hard similar large explosions with no source as well. was their a town near by? scrap form a vehicle that exploded?

No vehicles near that could have blown. No buildings either the evac shelter to the west and south were right near a river. North and east was a road but no vehicles there at Spawn time nor did I find one that ran. That’s why I thought what it was fell from the sky. Nearest buildings were edge of my visible map

Did you clear out the basement of the evac shelter?

Also, did you have Z-levels turned on?

Rubble and flame, that solves it right there. Something caused a fire, fire collapsed building, this kills the crab creates noise and leaves rubble.

I guess lightning hit the building and caused a fire. It sorta happens sometimes.

Not since like 0.A (or 0.B?)

Aw boo, lightning used to be able to do that? Guess it was like acid rain, too prone to annoying players. Kinda wish we had “annoying weather effects” as a worldgen option.

I’m playing one of the latest experimental there was a storm going on so maybe lightning is back?

There are plenty of other possible causes for fire though. NPCs with incendiary weapons, some robotic enemies have flamethrowers, gas tanks in vehicles have a (small) chance of exploding when smashed, etc.

Lightning, far as I know, exists only in abstract form in current experiementals. Randomly lightning will be described as close enough to be seen instead of “a distinct rumble of thunder” but all I’ve seen it do is briefly raise the light level if it’s dark enough outside.

In the current(ish) experimental, it doesn’t seem to be very small. I’ve seen quite a few vehicle fires burning with zombies all around.

I think I read that discussion, the odds are a tenth as high for smashing compared to the odds from damage by fire, and the odds are lower still for diesel tanks, and much higher for hydrogen gens.

But yeah, apparently the odds were nerfed but still high enough that a mob of undead attracted to a running engine stand decent odds of getting a lucky hit to the gas tank before it takes enough impacts to smash it into being a leaky piece of scrap. Likely also depends on how strong the offending zombies, though unless bash damage affects the odds it’ll be an inverse sort of thing, as less bashing damage will mean more hits and thus more rolls to determine if it’ll go off.

Not since like 0.A (or 0.B?)[/quote]
Lightning has been gone since before I joined the project, so at least 0.7 or so. It was removed because since it only hit the locations near the player it made being in a thunder storm more like being under hostile enemy artillery fire (and at the time it promoted the stupid idea of leaving your base every time there was a storm in order to ensure that nothing got destroyed).

Similarly we don’t have meteors or other things like that.

In order to trigger explosion rolls the damage has to be greater than 1/10th of the part’s current life, or it needs to be either heat or true damage, IIRC.

As I guessed.

I completely forgot about the possibility of it being an NPC with a makeshift flamethrower, as random dragon mentioned.

I really hate NPCS that spawn with those.

I could’ve sworn someone plotted to remove incendiaries from the NPC gear lists until they can be sane about using them.

I had a very similar occurrence happen to me waaaay back in i think 0.7, when I was in the tutorial room. It was weird because it was preceded by a portal. I’ve seen random portal’s occur without the fireball-of-doom happening after the appearance of said portal though, so I know they aren’t connected.

Extra weird. Odd, I’ve never had a portal APPEAR, they usually get generate. Alongside plenty of nether spawns.

Lightning has been gone since before I joined the project, so at least 0.7 or so. It was removed because since it only hit the locations near the player it made being in a thunder storm more like being under hostile enemy artillery fire (and at the time it promoted the stupid idea of leaving your base every time there was a storm in order to ensure that nothing got destroyed).
Awww man, return this thing. It was so~~~ fun when your stuff gets blown up by lightning.