Achieving Late-game

We’re saying similar things, but not the same thing. I’m talking about a way for Vultures to get out of his situation. I’m telling him to create a second character to come rescue his first.

Protip:
Always have a backup plan.

Making food/butchering corpses because you will be needing food? What if you fail and start starving?

Making water? What if your fire goes out or you run out of batteries?

Killing a fungal spire? What if you get surrounded?

Going to town? What if a horde starts chasing you.

I can’t tell you have infinitely useful fallback plans are. They save your character 70% of the time, which is quite a lot.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:22, topic:1439”]Protip:

Making food/butchering corpses because you will be needing food? What if you fail and start starving?

I can’t tell you have infinitely useful fallback plans are. They save your character 70% of the time, which is quite a lot.[/quote]
Now I feel like I’m going to double my average survival time. I lost like 70% of my characters due to perfect plans going wrong.

[quote=“PiotraperPL, post:23, topic:1439”][quote=“gtaguy, post:22, topic:1439”]Protip:

I can’t tell you have infinitely useful fallback plans are. They save your character 70% of the time, which is quite a lot.[/quote]
Now I feel like I’m going to double my average survival time. I lost like 70% of my characters due to perfect plans going wrong.[/quote]
In my experience it isn’t a perfect plan until your contingencies of your contingencies have contingencies, but no plan ever really reaches this level unless(until) you’re a mutant cyborg carrying a pile of nuclear ordinance, traps, and high tech weaponry while driving a death mobile.

Well, here’s the real story as it happened.
The first FEMA camp I’ve raided before nightfall. I really expected curse, eternal damnation and fiery flying skulls pouring from the letters F E M A as I made my first steps in; the earlier mapgen I played had like a throng of Zs roaming, as I pedaled on the outskirts just to explore. So I packed some melees, two boxes of ammo for m4a1 and for a small pistol and gave it a shot in the dark, only to find an easy stride. I squashed some ten or so with wheels, and not much more by foot. Felt like I didn’t really have to kill them all, just lure them into the pits and leave 'em there.
So I was very courageous the second attempt I made, only holding on to a few more medpacks, just in case. Thought the 9mm SMG would bring the pain, trusting my melee grinding skills. So I jumped on my generic motocycle the game so generously put in front of the first house there was behind the shelter, and started the new day. With my base two clicks northish, no harm to be expected, right? And there it was, the funnel-looking barbwired entrance. As I conveniently parked my ride, all hell broke loose. Cautioned by sounds coming from within - and from all the southside - I started giving 'em their peace next to the gate guardhouse. After a few initial shots and explosions I found the situation getting worse - they just kept coming and coming, so I backed up just a few steps from my bike to start some fires. Those handy sticks I’ve lit seemed to invite even more of them in - scientists, soldiers and the bozos, all alike stepped towards me whilst grinding, screeching, pounding and crashing noises never stopped. The grip on the bike’s handle was the most tempting option at the moment, so I started circling around the dead f***s, leading them onto the small fires and bursts of led from my barrel. The bears, spiders and a pack of wolves particularly liked it when I busted my shot of a molotov onto the guard building, home of a soldier Z that looked like trouble from the very start, but never made it through heavy glass. I was pushed south, with wheels below me and the smelly chunks of putrid meat hanging off barbed fence left behind. The fire kept spreading like crazy, with popping explosions every few seconds. I considered myself lucky at the moment, having killed almost all of them, yet hurting and low on ammo as just as much everything else. So I collected what petty loot the camp had to offer and foolishly busted out north again. Yes, dancing bears and mushroom people but NOT fun - I kept driving through the forest, cut off from the road. The most persistent ones kept me company until I rammed my loaded bike into a Lab. Nearby fungal Zs accepted the invitation, and I was already sick enough to withstand blows, but wouldn’t leave my only (two-wheeled) friend behind, so I made another stand. I gave everything there was just to see a crack in the legion’s line. Pushed through too, onto a riverbank. And swampland. AND out of gas.
Only a big, bad moon and a mosquito kiss goodnite.

Binoculars are your friend. For a little more established character, computers in science laboratories are an excellent source of map data. Even road maps can help.

It is impossible to refer to your map too much. Swamps in particular are reasonably easy to avoid if you just take a few seconds every now and then and look at your map.

Swamps rape everything, don’t go there.

Seriously, if I had a choice between holding off in a FEMA camp and a Swamp I would say: “So it’s a choice between 100% chance of death and a 99% chance of death?”

I’m through the first week of summer and all I’ve been doing is collect water, clean it, sometimes hit something and cook it. I’m camping in my semi and using fueled up cars to go around.

You shouldn’t have any problems going next to swamps with the vehicule you posted before. That thing can take on a horde of zombies and whatever you can find. I used your design to build mine, only more reinforced with hard plantings and it is almost invincible, only thing that will break is the windshields if you decide to go on a giant mosquitos killing spree

Just out of curiosity I ran my truck through a school and it mostly survived. Basically you don’t need a base, just a good vehicle. Even should you run out of fuel with enough supplies you could spend a few days in your car until you put together a pedal car with a box to get some fuel.
Something like this is more, than enough to run over zombies and gather resources before you move on:

[quote=“Máté, post:30, topic:1439”]Just out of curiosity I ran my truck through a school and it mostly survived. Basically you don’t need a base, just a good vehicle. Even should you run out of fuel with enough supplies you could spend a few days in your car until you put together a pedal car with a box to get some fuel.
Something like this is more, than enough to run over zombies and gather resources before you move on:
[/quote] That looks awesome! I tried making a car like that but It didn’t quite work. Let’s just sya wolf spiders didn’t like the idea of my car…

If you are into abusing glitches, you can even install a second set of pedals for more speed.

Think of the poor post-humans with Leg Tentacles*! Surely they ought to be able to run three sets of pedals?

*Three tentacles in place of each leg.

Maybe they just use one leg for a set of pedals. I’ve seen one legged man ride a bicycle before.