Accelerate studying

In the new build, if you want to study something, you don’t timewarp but see every little step. Is there any way to accelerate and/or abort this?

When you start reading a book, you automatically read a tick without the slow down. To read with no slowdown, follow these steps:

press R(capital)

press the desired books key

press n when the query pops up

repeat.

Thx… I can remember I read at a much higher speed when I freshly installed the game, so I thought there might be some deceleration key I accidentally pressed.

But IMO it has to be like this because if I sleep this semi-timewarp will be much faster…

It is an issue that apparently appeared with a change to the catacurse file that they just have not gotten around to fixing,

What’s intended to happen (and what happens in Linux) is for the game world to go into fast-forward, and quickly go through the reading process, but still show you what’s happening in the world.

What used to happen in Windows (from what I’ve been told) is that the fast-forward would happen in the background, and the game would do nothing for a little bit (bad), but then relatively soon it would update to the finished state.

What’s currently happening in Windows is that the fast-forward is being shown on screen (as it’s supposed to), but at a much slower pace than it’s meant to (bad!).

We’re currently trying to figure out if there’s a good fix. If we can’t, then we may well just revert the relevant change, depending on the general consensus.

K, thx :slight_smile:

[quote=“Soron, post:5, topic:1330”]What’s intended to happen (and what happens in Linux) is for the game world to go into fast-forward, and quickly go through the reading process, but still show you what’s happening in the world.

What used to happen in Windows (from what I’ve been told) is that the fast-forward would happen in the background, and the game would do nothing for a little bit (bad), but then relatively soon it would update to the finished state.

What’s currently happening in Windows is that the fast-forward is being shown on screen (as it’s supposed to), but at a much slower pace than it’s meant to (bad!).

We’re currently trying to figure out if there’s a good fix. If we can’t, then we may well just revert the relevant change, depending on the general consensus.[/quote]

Yeah. Personally I preferred the system freeze to watching every tick.

Maybe the wrong place for this, but is their a way to stop studying once you hit Y? So far I’ve just had to wait until I get a nicotine craving or something, I can’t seem to find a button to stop it.

Press 5 and it will stop (yes, it is an odd key choice).

‘.’ will also work as well. It’s because both ‘.’ and 5 are the equivalent of the short term wait command in cataclysm.

‘.’ will also work as well. It’s because both ‘.’ and 5 are the equivalent of the short term wait command in cataclysm.[/quote]

Why not one of the more common “end” keys such as esc or space? The wait key just seems like an odd one to choose.

Personally I think of the spacebar as being more similar Enter then to ESC. And as for why it’s used, my guess would be that because the studying option is really just sort of telling the game to keep ordering your guy to study over and over again, telling him to wait is similar to telling him to stop (and in most rougelikes “wait” is the closest you come to an actual “stop” command anyways).

Other then that I don’t know, but I personally don’t find to much of a mental disjoint present.