Unfurn Changes To The Game

a part of it is that it takes away sections of the game one of the older more beloved scenarios is really bad day but with the changes to medkits it went from really challenging but possible to pure luck draw either it clears on its own or you die nothing you do has any real effect even perfect luck with finding supplies can’t help
as for plague nymphswhen something is left to rot eventually it explodes into violent cockroaches which spawn more stuff that when that rots makes spiders so if anything is left to rot spiders inherit it and you can’t come back meaning burn it or avoid forever further tedium

I’ve done plenty of starts with “infected” scenario lately.
Finding antibiotics is very much doable even in 0.01 item spawn world. You just have to know where and how to look.

yes and that was usually the fun of it even if atreyupan was the goal it’s still possible but antibiotics just don’t do enough to stop instant death from the infection it’s fun to try to rush areas you shouldn’t for resources or seach just right and get lucky but if it will just come down to a dice roll in the background where your actions mean little then that’s no fun

Antibiotics work just fine for me, never been in a situation where I found antibiotics before the last stage of infection and they failed to work (eventually).
Please describe what exactly is it that you do that antibiotics fail to work?

Kevin already said medkits not treating infection is a bug, so that’s a moot point when talking about coders intentionally sabotaging fun.

Additionally, the nerf to the knife spear was somewhat warranted since it was stronger than any other early game weapon by a huge margin given its range, speed, and damage. Plus it could be crafted within the first five minutes with no skill out of literal garbage. It made crafting any other weapon pointless until you got forging set up. This basically compounded to create a massive difficulty jump later in the game when the knife spear stopped being the end all be all to combat.

TLDR knife spear borked the actual difficulty curve because it meant players only learned to fight with it and were unable to cope with later game difficulty and enemies that couldn’t be kited.

Err, what?
Non of components of a medkit should treat infections.
Bite wounds — sure. But not full-blown infections.

You’re correct Tamior. I had conflated the two since there was a bug of medkits not curing bites and I thought that was being referenced. 4AM and no coffee yet. Ugh.

To correct my point. RBD is supposed to be extremely difficult. A full blown infection is something that could only be cured by antibiotics or the natural actions of the body. Or CDDA magic like royal jelly or nanites. The constant complaints that it’s now too hard or takes zero skill and pure luck is fairly silly. Plenty of highly skilled players can push their survival until they find antibiotics. Pretty sure most survivors can make it a couple of days before they actually die from infection.

To be fair, without finding some antibiotics you are effectively dead 16 hours after the start of the game.
Not exactly a couple of days.
But you CAN do lots of things within those 16 hours.

Hmm. When I do RBD I take infection resistant since I can usually kick it off on my own that way. I was under the impression that it didn’t increase the time it takes to die from an infection, just lowers the chance to get one and makes it more likely to recover naturally. Does it also give you more time before it becomes lethal?

If so, doing RBD without infection resistant is really just a self imposed challenge.

To be fair, RBD with multi-pool character is self-imposed challenge no matter how you cut it.

If you don’t want to hold yourself back during character creation with multi-pool, it’s almost always better to go for a scenario that allows you to get a good starting profession.

Dude, a knife spear is literally a stick with a piece of hammered metal at the end attached by tape or string. In reality the speartip would fall anytime you hit anything with it.

The homemade half-pike is a good replacement for the knife spear. At least it implies that it’s a spike socketed to a proper haft. I don’t know why the staunch knife spear adherents don’t praise its greatness more. It’s a much better weapon while being crafted with essentially the same components.

1 Like

in reality you could carve a notch to house the spike and even if you just wrapped it with rags/string tightly without tying it down it would still hold for multiple days of use and even then neither component would really break you’d just need to wrap it up again with a decent knot it could hold at least a month and by then you’d break the stick it wouldn’t shatter like it does in game besides there’s no reason for it to be so slow it’s hard enough just because you either need a bit of luck for a broom or more to find something to fell a tree for a long stick heavy sticks don’t work
it has an appropriate and common enough fault to balance it it has the skeletons with their bone plate armor that’s realistic and sufficient to balance plus there’s the new bone titans or whatever that are even worse
point is there are reasons to use other weapons or at least consider them as a back up there are things that invalidate them and better options that open up in the intermediate term between forging and duct taping shit together why does it need to be nerfed?

antibiotics are rare it is difficult but a super rare arttifact of the pre war world only extends your time slightly without doing much to cure the infection

Well you should find other weapons other than relying on the knife spear every single time. Tbh the durability doesnt even seem that bad, and its quite easy to craft more, so why are you complaining?

You described the homemade half pike. The knife spear is explicitly a pointy bit of metal tied to a stick.

Krisu is right about the knife spear durability. The initial nerf was fairly extreme but now you could kill a handful of zombies before you need to make another one, and if you don’t want to bother with even that then you could just make a fire hardened spear which is trivially easy and basically serves the same purpose as the knife spear of old.

I’ve always just gone straight for the stone spear after hearing about the durability nerf. Works well enough until I get to halfpike skill, or get some lucky early welding gear and rebar.

1 Like

The crap that annoys me is when a pistol doesn’t even scratch skeletons. Should be scaled with distance or something. You can do damage up to 3 tiles away with ease. Further away less chance of damage. Higher the caliber should increase this scale.