Training Skills/ Getting Materials

Mmm, that grinding.

[quote=“Kyriolexical Dino, post:20, topic:5838”]Just discovered a training method (dunno if it’s new though). Just go to a lab until you find a Mk IV Algorithmic Data Analyser and keep trying to access Melchior, it my character with hacking 4 has been failing for about 10 mins and keeps getting eletrocuted and attacked by man-hacks, I luckly got the Rivetch power armour, it absorbs lighting when powered and the man-hacks are really easy to deal with my machete and Silat melee style.

So far I’ve gained 1 dodge skill (was 3 now it’s 4) one bashing weapon level (9 to 10). I’ve also gathered plutonium cells from the wrecks so in relation to the power I can keep going for a long time specially with my recycler unit bionic ( you get thirst and hunger slower than normal passively).[/quote]

I’m not sure if “get super lucky”: counts as a training method.

[quote=“Shadowchaser, post:22, topic:5838”][quote=“Kyriolexical Dino, post:20, topic:5838”]Just discovered a training method (dunno if it’s new though). Just go to a lab until you find a Mk IV Algorithmic Data Analyser and keep trying to access Melchior, it my character with hacking 4 has been failing for about 10 mins and keeps getting eletrocuted and attacked by man-hacks, I luckly got the Rivetch power armour, it absorbs lighting when powered and the man-hacks are really easy to deal with my machete and Silat melee style.

So far I’ve gained 1 dodge skill (was 3 now it’s 4) one bashing weapon level (9 to 10). I’ve also gathered plutonium cells from the wrecks so in relation to the power I can keep going for a long time specially with my recycler unit bionic ( you get thirst and hunger slower than normal passively).[/quote]

I’m not sure if “get super lucky”: counts as a training method.[/quote]

Known option. Melchior doesn’t have the “broken console” failure, so is an OK place to practice hacking. Apparently it’s also a good place to practice dodging and combat.

And in time the bots may get lucky, too.

does not consider this something that Needs Fixed

[quote=“KA101, post:23, topic:5838”][quote=“Shadowchaser, post:22, topic:5838”][quote=“Kyriolexical Dino, post:20, topic:5838”]Just discovered a training method (dunno if it’s new though). Just go to a lab until you find a Mk IV Algorithmic Data Analyser and keep trying to access Melchior, it my character with hacking 4 has been failing for about 10 mins and keeps getting eletrocuted and attacked by man-hacks, I luckly got the Rivetch power armour, it absorbs lighting when powered and the man-hacks are really easy to deal with my machete and Silat melee style.

I’m not sure if “get super lucky”: counts as a training method.[/quote]

Known option. Melchior doesn’t have the “broken console” failure, so is an OK place to practice hacking. Apparently it’s also a good place to practice dodging and combat.

And in time the bots may get lucky, too.

does not consider this something that Needs Fixed[/quote]

Was more referring to the “locating great stuff early without dying”.

So it seems this thread is a bit obsolete with the latest experimental and its implementation of scaled experience gain (can no longer spam 0-level crafts). Still, with some creativity there should still be some tricks.

Archery seems to be impossible to train up from zero (or at least very tedious, since you can’t craft arrows). I think hardened point arrows should be craftable at archery 0 fab 1 (or maybe 2), since its not much a leap from shafts to pointed shafts.

Rifles and the like can be cheaply trained using bolt drivers/pneumatic AR. Butchering everything still works for survival as far as I know. Taking apart cars still improves mechanic skill (make sure you have some sort of rechargeable/solar powered welder mechanism)

For tailoring, you can reinforce rags, leather patches, and furs. Reinforcing rags is relatively quick and trains regardless of your level.

Archery is trivial. Make a blowgun and darts and you can grind all the way to Archery 10.
You don’t need welding gear to grind Mechanics. Just a hacksaw and wrench is enough to take a car apart.

Just wandering, is there really any need to train driving? I mean, my characters never know hot to drive, yet I can safely get up to at least 50 in the city with no trouble. It can be a bit of a hassle to constantly correct my direction, but that’s about it.

Driving skill reduces the need to make corrections.

@ LoneBadger Just to make sure I understand you, you’re saying that blowing darts at the floor (i.e no actual target) will increase archery? Because I thought you now need a valid target (wildlife, zeds etc.) for ranged skill gains?

No enemy needed. Think of it as aiming at a practice target (“see if I can hit that can”) if you like.

@LoneBadger.
I use your method to protect from archery and throwing rust. However, it always seemed to tedious to train with because of the need to constantly re-aim instead of auto-targeting. You find a way to overcome this?

@Mercy I personally use macros for any grinding (I’m sad that CDDA doesn’t have them built in, but you can use auto-hotkeys to create your own.)