Rapier, Katana, and Broadswords

Yeah, thats why I was thinking of some offensive shields like a targe (small shield with spike for punching), buckler (can sort of punch with them) or a duellists buckler (small shield with knives hanging out the sides). Lower damage and a bit harder to use offensively but still viable in melee while obviously being able to be used to block.

Yeah, not ideal to use them alone, would be great if we had an offhand and main hand mechanic for this. At the moment it seems better to wear armor when using a melee weapon but then you have to deal with encumbrance penalties. Unarmed has it much better with a large variety of available defensive techniques in addition to being able to dodge while still being offensively good. You can be capable of blocking with arms and legs just fine until the moment anything is in your hands. Thats the main reason why I think “defense” with weapons should be part of the melee skill that is independent of the weapon itself with the exception of weapons designed specifically to be able to defend. Most of what you face in this game is, after all, teeth and claws so blocks using protected body parts isn’t something only for the unarmed. This is, however, a much more significant undertaking than throwing a tech on a few weapons so not sure where one would start.

Or maybe we could add some martial arts technique that you need a weapon to use?

Problem solved.

Dunno, dont think he can block with it and his outfit would have buggerall storage.

His legs look encumbered as shit as well.

I dont think that guy would make it

Yeah, power armor is crap until you find the hauling frame.

[quote=“jimboblordofeskimos, post:45, topic:2626”]Dunno, dont think he can block with it and his outfit would have buggerall storage.

His legs look encumbered as shit as well.

I dont think that guy would make it[/quote]

Well, in his defense he IS a space marine and they really aren’t big on concepts like “running away” or “dodging” and he is genetically engineered to be a 7+ foot tall walking slab of destruction and meat. Somehow, I don’t think “leg encumbrance” and “storage” are the first things he would think about when selecting armor.

Well, he’ll do shit damage in melee, and won’t be able to carry essential survival gear. My guess is that he just found his body armor and decided to attack the town because he was bored.