Gun accuracy nerfed?

[quote author=deoxy link=topic=14523.msg301964#msg301964 date=1499375431]

Absolutely none of your factual information is news to me. And yes, the katana stuff in particular has been flaming ridiculous.

Yes, actually, I have held and swung swords, both historical and modern recreations (as in, “make a historical sword with modern steel”), and yes, they are light, but that’s not the point. A larger, stronger man with the same weapon has a HUGE advantage over his opponent, and if they are of similar skill, that size and strength advantage is almost certain to be decisive. A baseball bat is also not that heavy, but the physical strength of the batter is a HUGE part of how far the ball is going to go. And with the smaller implements (“daggers and the like”), one could argue that strength becomes even MORE important, not less.

As to the .22, I’m talking about good old fashioned .22, not .22 Long Rifle or any of the more serious calibers. When I was in high school, a guy fired a .22 pistol point blank into a teacher’s FACE, and it lodged in the sinus cavity. The teacher survived with a small scar in his face.

“You’re debating the lethality of something and comparing it to absolute damage caused when that’s not what’s important, it’s where the damage is being caused.” No, where the damage is caused is not the point - a sword through the eye or a bullet, either one is completely lethal. The question is, how accurate do you need to be to kill your opponent?

If I shoot you in the arm, odds are, unless I’m using something very large, it’s going to make for an unpleasant day, but you’ll be fine, unless I happen to hit a major artery. You might even end up with a broken bone… and if you don’t get one of those two things, odds are, you are not out of the fight. Sure, afterwards, you will be considered a casualty, but during the fight, you go on fighting with almost no reduction in combat capability (this is based on actual battlefield research, by the way - most wounds on the modern battlefield either incapacitate or do not have any significant impact on your fighting ability in the immediate term).

If I hit you in the arm with a mace, large sword, or axe, you will need medical attention in short order to avoid death. The odds of hitting that major artery are MUCH larger when I’m slicing your arm open to the bone. Even with modern medicine, you stand a decent chance of losing that limb, if you live at all.

THAT is what I’m talking about. Bullets to surgical damage (yes, that’s an overstatement, and much less true as the size of the bullet goes up), while historical melee combat weapons do systemic damage. If we’re talking same-location strike, there are VERY few places in the body where I’d prefer a hit with a battlefield melee weapon of any kind over being shot with almost any caliber of rifle - perhaps in the chest with a bludgeoning weapon or small slashing weapon. Perhaps.

Even modern prison and other criminal situation research and policies recognize this issue. Inside of 15 feet (even from a prone position), a strong man with a knife and the will to use it is a VERY dangerous opponent, even to someone with a gun. Sure, he may die of the wounds you gave him, but, barring very good shot placement (central nervous system or a good hit to a hip), you’ll be stone dead, and he’ll walk away and die later, assuming he doesn’t get medical attention quickly enough.

The advantages of the firearm is range and non-dependency on human strength to operate.

[quote=“mvm900, post:75, topic:13779”]99% of the stuff you are talking about is TRAINING (you even use the word quite a bit). In firearm combat from fixed positions, the 100 pound weakling with proper training and the 300 pound linebacker with proper training are on a level playing field. THAT is the point. Beyond a very low minimum, further physical strength is of near-zero benefit.

Compare that to all other forms of physical combat, where strength is vital, and more strength is better up to a ridiculous upper limit. Even crossbows benefit from strength - the stronger the user, the faster the reload time (as, under the covers, the crossbow is still just storing the energy produced by human muscle).

The same happens in archery contests too.

Body size and weight doesn’t matter(within reason), years of experience and training do.[/quote]

That’s ONLY because of the modern compound bow, but even then, at longer ranges, shorter firing times, or prolonged fire, greater strength would still grant a sizable advantage. A stronger archer could use a stronger bow (longer range), pull faster (more shots in the same amount of time), or pull more times (prolonged fire - though this is also mitigated somewhat by the compound bow).

But I will admit that for reasonably short distances (and not worrying about penetration of armor), the “upper bound” on the benefits of strength in archery are lower than other forms of historical physical combat (both bows and crossbows, for different reasons).

This whole sub-topic was the result of my response to this: “Guns in gameplay terms should be distanced killing machines, even pistols for the most part. snip Like even with higher marksmanship and skill in the weapon you’re not much better off than a person using the same amount of points in a melee build”

I was pointing out that “ranged killing machines” was really not very accurate, due the issues I was mentioning with damage. Yes, RANGED, but in terms of massive damage, no, pistols should not be dishing massive damage compared to a dedicated melee build, and even rifles should primarily beat out melee to due to “rate of fire” (you can fire much faster with a burst weapon than you can place serious hits in melee, which is certainly accurate), not individual hits.

Sorry factual matters “disturb” you.[/quote]
I’m enjoying your attempt at saying the news isn’t information to you but you still don’t actually seem to know. You say you don’t mean .22 LR and you say you mean ‘OLD FASHIONED’, so I’m gonna guess .22 short which was made all the way back in 1857. Still travels at around 800 ft/s. That’s fine about your teacher but there’s an amazing phrase I’ll teach you; Exception rather than the rule. There’s lots of stuff that goes into ammunition and range and angle at which the shot came can change a lot. I’m gonna have to cut you off if you think a dagger requires strength and not skill because it doesn’t, really. Jim Bowie wasn’t a particularly strong fellow, still one hell of a knife fighter. Why do you think there exists knife fighting techniques? Why do you think there exists many martial arts that don’t require and often are against brute force?

Where the damage is caused is the point. The heck do you mean. The point being that it doesn’t matter if you’re using an axe or a gun if you don’t hit a vital spot you’re not really doing much. And generally you’re making more precise shots with a gun anyway. And what even is this next question. To hit a human target with a gun is fairly easy. I don’t think you’ve ever fired a gun or know anything about ballistics my man.

If I stab you in the arm, odds are, it’s going to be an unpleasant day. What is your point? I already stated what you’re trying to get across. You’re saying melee weapons do more damage which I said yes but that doesn’t matter. You’re resaying my points that I already said. And also seem to think that a mace to the arm requires more immediate medical attention for some reason. I guess you could say shattered bone but guns beat bone too so I really don’t get your point.

That’s just wrong as I’ve just mentioned and you just mentioned. What is anyone saying anymore.

This whole subtopic was because you tried to bring realism in when I didn’t even mention real life. And you’re wrong about your realism anyway. You literally looked at my sentence which read. ‘In gameplay guns should act’ and then went ‘WELL IN REAL LIFE MELEE WEAPONS DEAL SO MUCH DAMAGE’. Hows that for a fact.

[quote=“mvm900, post:81, topic:13779”][/quote]
I’m not going to get into a big argument with anybody, but the point he was making is that guns are only at best as lethal as an old school melee weapon, but in many possible scenarios they do not deal as much damage or kill their targets as quickly or reliably.

For example if you had a gun and a crazy ax murderer attacked you, you could probably shoot him several times before he got close.
However, the odds of any one shot you make killing or incapacitating him is far lower than the odds of him killing or incapacitating you with the ax in one swing.
Assuming a relatively low caliber weapon, of course.

The other argument is that physical capability regarding guns essentially has a minimum and very little other relevance.
The point of that argument is that if we disregard skill and training entirely there is a massively greater difference in the odds of winning a fight between two people with swords or two people with guns that depends entirely on physical fitness and strength.

Your strength is unlikely to matter in an open field fight with somebody else when you both have guns, assuming both parties reach that minimum fitness.
On the other hand your strength will probably matter a great deal if you and your opponent are both wielding clubs or swords.

All of which is irreelvant to the point that guns are hilariously less viable than melee in this game.
A basic gun using basic ammo wielded by a relatively well trained individual has a less than 90% chance to hit the broad side of a barn, which is frankly ridiculous.
I’m pretty sure that this problem comes from multiple variables that come into play during accuracy calculations that have far more weight than they should, which as a math problem should be easy to implement assuming somebody has a viable formula for accuracy.

Coolthulhu did some numbers for it a few weeks ago, don’t know if he is going to keep working on it or not, but anyway is a start.

And as I was told, the old formula here is the one currently used.

I’m not going to get into a big argument with anybody, but the point he was making is that guns are only at best as lethal as an old school melee weapon, but in many possible scenarios they do not deal as much damage or kill their targets as quickly or reliably.

For example if you had a gun and a crazy ax murderer attacked you, you could probably shoot him several times before he got close.
However, the odds of any one shot you make killing or incapacitating him is far lower than the odds of him killing or incapacitating you with the ax in one swing.
Assuming a relatively low caliber weapon, of course.

The other argument is that physical capability regarding guns essentially has a minimum and very little other relevance.
The point of that argument is that if we disregard skill and training entirely there is a massively greater difference in the odds of winning a fight between two people with swords or two people with guns that depends entirely on physical fitness and strength.

Your strength is unlikely to matter in an open field fight with somebody else when you both have guns, assuming both parties reach that minimum fitness.
On the other hand your strength will probably matter a great deal if you and your opponent are both wielding clubs or swords.

All of which is irreelvant to the point that guns are hilariously less viable than melee in this game.
A basic gun using basic ammo wielded by a relatively well trained individual has a less than 90% chance to hit the broad side of a barn, which is frankly ridiculous.
I’m pretty sure that this problem comes from multiple variables that come into play during accuracy calculations that have far more weight than they should, which as a math problem should be easy to implement assuming somebody has a viable formula for accuracy.[/quote]
what the heck
just disgustingly wrong and again no one seems to understand what caliber means or even what a low caliber gun can do. ill only touch that very first point because it’s clear no one has ever fired a gun let alone at a person.

This is your daily reminder that people often die in like 2-3 shots quite easily really. Two quick shots should kill most people to the chest and the mozambique drill is only there to ensure that they do die. Even with puny ‘’‘lower caliber’''™ weapons. And that’s just assuming you’re using jacketed ammunition.

but i think it was clear from the start i was dealing with people who like to assume something more than they actually know. I really only want to tl;dr anymore scenarios because frankly I don’t care anymore, it’s just going to be a waste of everyones time. I think it became clear a page ago that no one is going to change their weird ideas.
So I’m just talking about gameplay here.

Also please never charge someone with a gun it doesn’t end up well. Best case scenario you’ll end up like that french guy who stopped a terrorist on a train and the gun will jam, worst case you’ll just be dead.

The vast majority of people that have fired guns but have never attempted to kill anybody are outweighed by the vast majority that haven’t fired guns at all, this is a safe thing to assume that is irrelevant to whether or not somebody knows how much damage a bullet actually does.
The information is already available, you don’t need first-hand evidence.

The odds of a single gunshot dealing an immediately incapacitating or killing injury are simply lower than that of a sword or ax doing the same, even if both options have an incredibly high chance of being lethal (eventually).
In the scenario I suggested, imagine instead that the ax murderer was literally only some feet away from you when you noticed him; you would not have the chance to get off more than one shot, and definitely no time to precisely aim.
Assuming he struck you with an ax with intent to kill, and you shot him once, do you think either of you would survive?
If so, why?

Naturally this is all still irrelevant to the discussion of guns being hilariously inaccurate.

[quote=“Alec White, post:83, topic:13779”]Coolthulhu did some numbers for it a few weeks ago, don’t know if he is going to keep working on it or not, but anyway is a start.

And as I was told, the old formula here is the one currently used.[/quote]
So… we already HAVE a working model that we just aren’t using?
I’m sure it could be improved, but I haven’t really delved into the math all that heavily so I’ll assume people will eventually figure it out.

My personal experience is that melee is just hilariously overpowered in comparison to guns the last time I checked, my strongest survivor literally doesn’t even attack anything except incidentally anymore, if I see a horde of zombies I can just walk back and forth until I counter-attack every zombie in the horde.

With guns, I both have to carry a bunch of extra weight and stop to aim and reload…
And with all this hassle it’s still just straight up less effective.

Guns aren’t that bad in the game, from my experience. Current survivor is mainly focused on using ranged weapons, and she has a far easier time using it than melee weapons, in which she is also pretty good at.

Like, currently, my survivor can walk up to a horde with five necromancers around, just blast everything to bits to the point where necromancers can’t revive everyone quickly enough that my survivor reaches them and blasts them as well. With melee, damage done can be greater, but even with her 13 dodge a few hits will happen, and unless she pumps herself with Rivtech stimulants she’s gonna slow down fast and get even more damage. If I go ranged, the main source of getting damaged is forgetting to switch on the dielectric capacitance bionic.

The vast majority of people that have fired guns but have never attempted to kill anybody are outweighed by the vast majority that haven’t fired guns at all, this is a safe thing to assume that is irrelevant to whether or not somebody knows how much damage a bullet actually does.
The information is already available, you don’t need first-hand evidence.

The odds of a single gunshot dealing an immediately incapacitating or killing injury are simply lower than that of a sword or ax doing the same, even if both options have an incredibly high chance of being lethal (eventually).
In the scenario I suggested, imagine instead that the ax murderer was literally only some feet away from you when you noticed him; you would not have the chance to get off more than one shot, and definitely no time to precisely aim.
Assuming he struck you with an ax with intent to kill, and you shot him once, do you think either of you would survive?
If so, why?

Naturally this is all still irrelevant to the discussion of guns being hilariously inaccurate.

[quote=“Alec White, post:83, topic:13779”]Coolthulhu did some numbers for it a few weeks ago, don’t know if he is going to keep working on it or not, but anyway is a start.

And as I was told, the old formula here is the one currently used.[/quote]
So… we already HAVE a working model that we just aren’t using?
I’m sure it could be improved, but I haven’t really delved into the math all that heavily so I’ll assume people will eventually figure it out.

My personal experience is that melee is just hilariously overpowered in comparison to guns the last time I checked, my strongest survivor literally doesn’t even attack anything except incidentally anymore, if I see a horde of zombies I can just walk back and forth until I counter-attack every zombie in the horde.

With guns, I both have to carry a bunch of extra weight and stop to aim and reload…
And with all this hassle it’s still just straight up less effective.[/quote]
Except the information isn’t exactly readily available. And not in a digestible form, at the very least. No one has tested this stuff specifically, not in depth at least. But if you’re sure it’s readily available I’d like to see your source. And yes I would call wiki pretty good but as far as I know they don’t have a ‘melee vs guns’ articles. I mean shit someone earlier told me something about .22s and how they knew all about them and didn’t even know what .22 short was and that it was still well above the threshold for breaking bone.

No one said it wasn’t. That’s kind of the problem here, no one can read what I’m saying. But for the record, in general, they’re about equal for the most part. Like again both of these things are pretty bad and if either happened you’re probably stopped an equal amount. What the fuck do you mean precise aim. Just two the the chest. This is the problem with you guys who clearly haven’t even been target shooting. Yes. I can hit a target in the chest twice even while it’s moving at me. Most people can. It turns out pulling a trigger is impeccably easy.

Have you even seen any fucking videos of people getting shot? It only takes two. I would show footage but I’m fairly sure that’d be too graphic. You can look up the dallas gunman. Even police officers in gear drop quick. Yes, you can say ‘WELL IT WAS A RIFLE’ but this stuff happens with handguns too. They don’t lose pain and damage. Hollow points put people down. And that’s also a direct response to ‘w-w-well guns can’t quickly and reliably kill many people’ because that guy sure did and real easy too.
What pisses me off more than anything is people insisting something at me when it’s not true. You’re telling me to my face that you have all the information but you clearly aren’t even mildly looking. Pulling a trigger is a movement that requires so little time and muscle strength. I can pull it five times before you get to me. Like I said. Do not charge a shooter and that’s the directly relevant thing here.

this is just a BB gun, for sure, but that’s just like a real one. I chose this video because I doubt this guy is a professional so no one can go ‘WELL HE’S A PRO SHOOTER’. The average human male runs about 10-15 mph. That means 4.4 meters per second. That means at 5 meters away from me you’ll have around 1 second to get to me. By that time I can fire off 3-5 shots, give or take. And they don’t have to be accurate, because it turns out the human torso is the biggest thing and even if they dont hit your torso. If they hit your extremities you’re just as fucked because then I can break bone and have fun running at me with a broken leg. And even if you do get to me you can still be dead by then. Do not try this stupid ill thought out tactic. And yes I think I’ll survive because it turns out I’ll have the strength to keep pulling that trigger until he’s dead.

I mean shit just looking at assassination attempts you can see how even ‘LOW CALIBER’ bullets can be impeccably deadly. Ronald Reagan got hit by a ricochet from .22 short and it cracked his rib and the cracked rib punctured his lung. He spat out frothy blood for fucks sakes. He dropped the moment he got into the hospital. And this is just one shot that didn’t even directly hit him. Without medical attention he could have been dead. And it wasn’t even a fucking dead on shot. It turns out metal traveling at high speeds is really deadly.

Yes, yes, clearly we are ALL idiots who cannot read, and you are the only person who has a brain. Enjoy your little world, where the facts are exactly as you believe they are, and real life examples of exactly the kinds of things other people have told you about don’t exist.

Since, clearly, the problem is with ALL of us, not with you, there is no reason for me to keep clouding up your perfect world with my well researched, professionally vouched for, and, in several cases, personally experienced facts… so, good bye.

Yes, yes, clearly we are ALL idiots who cannot read, and you are the only person who has a brain. Enjoy your little world, where the facts are exactly as you believe they are, and real life examples of exactly the kinds of things other people have told you about don’t exist.

Since, clearly, the problem is with ALL of us, not with you, there is no reason for me to keep clouding up your perfect world with my well researched, professionally vouched for, and, in several cases, personally experienced facts… so, good bye.[/quote]

i mean yeah actually im the only one to source any info and didn’t say that firearms could do more damage than melee weapons anyway. You somehow misread ‘no one said that’ as ‘IM THE SMARTARTIST’. Like if you wanted that you could have chosen any other quote dude. Like if I did ever say melee weapons could do less damage, aside from that post, please do point it out as I may have had some kind of head injury at the time and that would be entirely on me but to my own knowledge I’m fairly sure I didn’t. Fairly. About 90%.
Also there’s only three of you and none of you appear to have any experience with firearms or how to google ‘the first .22 round’ so yeah, I’d be fine saying it was entirely you guys.

i’m lost, what are we arguing about?

[quote=“mvm900, post:89, topic:13779”][/quote]
Nobody has been trying to argue that guns aren’t effective weapons at killing people, the argument is that the average gun doesn’t do exceptional raw damage to a body compared to a large bladed weapon strike.

Which I would find relevant only because the lore of zombies in-game requires specifically massive trauma or headshots to take them down.
Filling its torso with holes isn’t going to impact the zombie as much as chopping a limb off or ripping its ribcage apart with an ax.
Because zombies don’t have vital organs.

The entire thread is (supposed to be) about whether or not the accuracy of the guns in-game is being properly represented.
Since you’re apparently interested in guns, you should presumably have some constructive comments on the thread’s actual topic, please share those instead.

Nobody has been trying to argue that guns aren’t effective weapons at killing people, the argument is that the average gun doesn’t do exceptional raw damage to a body compared to a large bladed weapon strike.

Which I would find relevant only because the lore of zombies in-game requires specifically massive trauma or headshots to take them down.
Filling its torso with holes isn’t going to impact the zombie as much as chopping a limb off or ripping its ribcage apart with an ax.
Because zombies don’t have vital organs.

The entire thread is (supposed to be) about whether or not the accuracy of the guns in-game is being properly represented.
Since you’re apparently interested in guns, you should presumably have some constructive comments on the thread’s actual topic, please share those instead.[/quote]
ex1
someone who cant read. How is your argument against ‘i didnt say that about melee weapons’ going to be ‘nobody said that about guns’. I can’t tell if you’re legitimately trying to make this into a circular thing or not. The argument is nothing. Moving on. Oh and don’t look at me and talk about taking down zombies with guns when your hands can do a fantastic job of it.

Guns in gameplay should act differently because it’s gameplay. They’re not fun and not useful otherwise. I already kind of said what they should be like and that spiraled into a hellhole. They should be high damage, they should for the most part have longer ranges, and I’m finding accuracy to not be as… bad? But I’m definitely not seeing their effectiveness shoot up pun not intended like they do with melee. Maybe marksmanship and particular skill in that weapon should be worth more at lower levels. I like what coolthulu is doing so far, though, as using guns at low levels isn’t even worth it when I can grab a 2-by-sword and murder everything much easier for the most part. Even at mid-tier I’m getting like 50-75% chance to hit on a stationary target from 12 tiles away with a scoped rifle.
Oh and if anything, handguns should be the best rookie shooter friendly weapon, as they require very little to be accurate.

My original complaint wasn’t about realism or damage but about accuracy and how it seems to be poorly implemented as it stands. Unless you deliberately design a character with a big emphasis on marksmanship and the weapon skill you want, cheat, or luck out with a NPC trainer, there doesn’t seem to be away to square this circle as you need to be good to hit and need to hit to get good.

Rysith posted a decent breakdown earlier in the thread which I generally agree with, although I would strongly advise making very close range shots be quite accurate by default regardless of skill. It would make guns viable as a “Oh fuck this is bad” response and encourage new players to stick with them. If guns are literally useless in all circumstances unless you are already trained to a good degree, it locks off an entire aspect of the game for certain characters unless, as I said, they cheat or get lucky with a trainer.

I have many thoughts on the quite significant tilt towards “realism” that seems to be the current development trend in Cataclysm, but that can go in another thread; I’d rather this thread dealt with how to make guns not useless, by way of dealing with the accuracy issue we seem to as a balance and gameplay issue rather than get bogged down in wether a hypothetical character would be able to hit given the right wind conditions and absence of cataracts or whatever.

1 Like

Yeah, the default confidence of relatively small guns at close range should be much higher, though it still makes sense for extremely heavy guns to require a turn or two to ready.

Currently the ‘unsteadied’ accuracy is just about literally zero in my experience, even with a ludicrously highly skilled character that has aim bionics.
Yeah wild shots shouldn’t be great, but when you’re within 2 tiles and aren’t suffering from recoil it should be legitimately harder to miss than to hit.

Instead we have a system where you have to be perfectly steady and prepared to have any chance of hitting anything if you aren’t literally a world-class grandsmaster, requiring a character to train marksmanship by throwing rocks or pebbles at things because the low odds don’t matter with an ubiquitous resource.