Cataclysm's Current Level of Difficulty

kinda just sounds like you’re playing smart
it’s very easy to get overwhelmed just by walking out in broad daylight through the city and sure you can run or climb or try to hotwire a car and get away but these take time and stamina you can’t keep up forever
if you want a hard game just play the rise of the mascot and keep your mask active you’ll get those zombie deaths you crave
and trust me the enemies get a lot worse at least they’ve toned down the hulk spawns

You know, I just started something new and it seemed to work for me pretty well. The idea is simple.

Build the most overpowered character you can possibly manage. Get all the loot in the game, all the crazy CBM’s, guns, mutations, have your stats 20+, your skills all above 10. Build that massive base, amass a large following of recruits, make a huge deathmobile with literally everything on it. Enjoy it. Drive and do quests, raid monuments that seem interesting.

Then, strip your character naked, make a new world in a new version if you want, and plop that character right down in the middle of no where, possibly in somewhere irredeemably dangerous, and build back up, stronger.

It’s been a fun few runs, since I had to do this out of necessity, since my old world wouldn’t port over to the new versions. It was fun and exciting to start from ground 1, with only the equipment I had on my character to rebuild again from scratch, all stats & skills, but no items.

2 Likes

something that would be really cool

Imagine you have survived for a few weeks and a message appears you see a helicopter far to the north of you it is dropping off something and if you go there you found boxes with supplies but also armd Holstein mpc
it isn’t really a helicopter just a chat message and the items and mpcs appears
I agree that if you have an Outpost mpc raders can come and attack you

Agreed that there’s just too much general loot - food, tools, clothes, materials.

Also agreed that this difficulty is better for newer players.

Also agreed that you shouldn’t have to hinder/limit yourself in a game due to imbalance or the difficulty being designed for a different section of the playerbase.

What then could be a solution to solve those core issues? Look to how other games deal with it - multiple preset difficultys made and balanced by the devs.

“easy” “normal” “hard” “very hard” or whatever to work towards conquering, utilizing tuning knobs such as monster resilience, monster spawn, loot spawn, starting amount of character points, monster evolution, starting scenarios and professions or whatever else. modifying monster speed is debatable due to the awesome grittiness of Stamina.

Loot spawn would need to be looked over before reducing, as it does currently have some problems as previously mentioned as well as reducing unlimited ammo from turrets.

Then there’s dev made and officially recognized/global difficulty settings and challenge for everybody. Maybe the hardest difficulty even making you start with a base character, reducing character points by 100% so you have to survive the new world as an average Joe. Be careful what you wish for.

Normal - as it is now
Hard - resilience +75%, spawn +150%, loot spawn -50%, character points -50%, -25% evolution
Very Hard - resilience +150%, spawn +300%, loot spawn -85%, character points -100%, -50% evolution
Easy (for the players still finding current settings too hard) - resilience -30%, spawn -30%, loot spawn +30%, character points +50%, +25% evolution

People could even make a fun random weekly challenge with random settings modified increasingly, or other unique scenarios and some sort of leaderboard of days survived in it. Might also help to get some players out of their shell, give them more to think about than just there 1 specific playstyle.

That along with multiple difficulties to work towards conquering means alot more for the players to strive for, which doesn’t necessarily have to be in a playthrough itself (and that doesn’t have to be made by limiting themselves.) helping player retention at all levels - not just focusing on newer players.

Procedural zombie generation mid/late would also be great, maybe with affixes hack n slash style with rare enemies that get 2 or 3 affixes and legendary say 5. Keep you on your toes for much longer without a linear system to be worked out and fought against like the rest. The realistic aspect can be walking abominations with certain attributes and abilities having randomly developed better on a specific zombie than others.

Etc.

Edit: I was trying to put into words why it’s so important to play dev made/officially recognized/global difficulty settings, instead of just limiting yourself (Because you’d think it’s as easy as “well if it’s too easy then go increase ___ and decrease ___”) and i think i figured it out - it’s because of the sense of pride and accomplishment, the achievment of “beating the game” whereas if you limit yourself to make things more challenging it’s like meh, i probably made it too easy or it doesn’t really matter in general. Some food for thought.

Maybe just add loot boxes to get best sense of pride and accomplishment.

I agree with you but personly i want to have more fun like in
Dwarf Fortress “FUN” Where you Dig Too Deep and losing is fun
but people seem to think it’s too hard
You can make a other world and lower the settings already but a more easy-to-use just selecting easy normal hard could be a good option