Auto-battery converter!

Solar is practically unlimited fuel too. Even with the nerf.
I love being called stupid over my ideas, even though I was just trying to make the game fun for myself and others.

But at least the climate can screw you over with solar, with this you’ll have at most dedicate a few hours to wait for wood too burn and then off you go to the horizons.

You know if you post your ideas in a public place you should be willing to hear criticism from others, just as you think this is a good idea others are completely free to think that its terrible.

Yeah, acid rain can screw you with wood gathering. So can large amounts of wild animals, bees, spiders, zombears, need I continue?

Think of it as solar but you go outside to get it.

How should the player do wood gas?
Have a large fixed generator and just let you uses it as a refilling fuel pump?
or have them work as solar panels that need fueling?

Stirling engines scarcely have enough power to drive a small electric dynamo, let alone a vehicle of any description.
Steam engines however are much more efficient, rather than ramble I might wish to direct you to a certain thread of mine: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5050.0

Being able to make biofuel would be useful, but I do think it should be made of a rarer resource than wood. Maybe by processing rotting meat/veggies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotland-class_submarine Is a vehicle of a description, yes I realize that a submarine is very different from land vehicles and I realize that they use it to drive a generator which in turn provides electricity to the electric motors, but it is definitely possible.

This Idea may or may not be hard to implement, but it one specifies certain types of materials specifically to be put in the hopper, like logs instead of 2x4s then you’d get around that.

A stirling engine could potentially also be driven by engine heat from an ordinary engine.

I would not however want a stirling engine in a car after civilization has gone under, simply because you’ll have access to distilled water from a steam machine and that alone weighs up any of the downsides of that type of engine.

/Zorbeltuss

Personally I’d rather see more options than less. I find it amusing that when presented with real world examples of steam/woodgas being used in passenger vehicles the tone of the arguments shift from realism to “its not hard enough for me”.

By all means play the game naked with a stick as your primary weapon and eat only raw vegetables if you want to. Just don’t try and make my game experience conform to yours.

Lets be honest, if anyone just wanted to use limitless power we’d edit the power value for solar panels in the json. Poof Solar unerfed/radically overpowered.

[quote=“Ironstone, post:28, topic:5100”]Personally I’d rather see more options than less. I find it amusing that when presented with real world examples of steam/woodgas being used in passenger vehicles the tone of the arguments shift from realism to “its not hard enough for me”.

By all means play the game naked with a stick as your primary weapon and eat only raw vegetables if you want to. Just don’t try and make my game experience conform to yours.

Lets be honest, if anyone just wanted to use limitless power we’d edit the power value for solar panels in the json. Poof Solar unerfed/radically overpowered.[/quote]
This guy knows where it’s at.
Steam engines would be pretty good, free clean water. As long as you had a closed cooling system and didn’t take any water out you’d only have to supply fire fuel.
So basically:
[size=14pt]Fuck you, I want steam engines bitch![/size]

[size=16pt]So are we ever getting engines fueled by wood?
[size=16pt]I have seen this idea in the suggestions forum for 4 months.[/size]

http://ideaschema.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2011-05-14-c-DoTheWork-Flyer-w-Logo-840w.png

[quote=“Cherry, post:30, topic:5100”][size=16pt]So are we ever getting engines fueled by wood?
[size=16pt]I have seen this idea in the suggestions forum for 4 months.[/size][/quote]
Dunno lol.

Take Z levels and NPCs for example. It has been years.

So basically you have to do it yourself. I would but I don’t have the time or resources.

By the way, I hope you all remember to implement lead safety bungs to the water tanks. Just so they can melt to flood the fire in case of overheating-- and flood the player with scalding water and steam.

There are quite enough bugs right now without adding an additional propulsion system.

I wanna know why is it that certain people in the community seem to consider themselves somehow harmed by others doing well or having an easier time at the game. Or that because something is in the game it has to be used. Like if there was a weightless minigun with unlimited ammo they’d say it ruins the game because it makes everything too easy. Without, you know, ever thinking, “Wait, if I like the game less using this item, maybe I should stop using it.”

A lot of these myopic and narcissistic attitudes are really casting a negative pall on this community.

[quote=“juliawang87, post:35, topic:5100”]I wanna know why is it that certain people in the community seem to consider themselves somehow harmed by others doing well or having an easier time at the game. Or that because something is in the game it has to be used. Like if there was a weightless minigun with unlimited ammo they’d say it ruins the game because it makes everything too easy. Without, you know, ever thinking, “Wait, if I like the game less using this item, maybe I should stop using it.”

A lot of these myopic and narcissistic attitudes are really casting a negative pall on this community.[/quote]

For me it isn’t that others are doing well. For me it is that certain options are so good, it feels like cheating. (Like being able to use solar power for everything, or the hydraulic power being pretty good).

And yeah, if there was a weightless minigun it would ruin the game. I don’t want my own personal rules to constraint me. (I consider that to be scrub like behaviour). A weightless minigun would reduce all the opposition to zero, and would render everything else you do meaningless. Of course there is no weightless minigun. So this is just a nice strawman. (Normally the minigun like weapons are actually bugs, like the fusion blaster arm not consuming bioammo, or the chain lighting cbm unlimited bouncing around. We actually want to keep the rivtech weapons (considered OP by some)).

Personally I don’t think that additional fuel sources would add much to the game atm. And while the early game is fairly interesting, the later game (when you have a lot of mutations/cbm/military armor/deathtruck etc) isn’t that much. It would just be a lot of code work (vehicle code is messy, with the already available power sources (gasoline, solar, atomic))

I also feel sad that you feel we are trying to only make the game harder for people doing well. I doubt that is the plan. It isn’t for me. I would like the game to have a few more end game threats (the reason I created the shoggoths (who should only spawn in labs (labs are non threatening most of the time, and instakill if the turret headshots you (not good imho))). And would not mind some sort of thing that makes zombies more powerful if you stay in a location for a few years. But that is more to give you more to do in the later game.

If you have any suggestions to make the game more enjoyable feel free to post them.

I do think some sort of biofuel alternative to gasoline would be useful, though. It could help to balance out mobile bases, once some sort of farming system is implemented. Maybe have it require a lot of rotten meat/veggies and take a long time to process. That way people can choose between exploring the country and siphoning up every last gas station to fuel their mobile base, or starting up a little farm with a renewable but laborious source of fuel, enough to fuel long-term generators around their place and maybe save up for a trip once in a while. It would also go well with your proposed late-game threats. Those who like exploring can go out and hunt shoggoths while outrunning zombie hordes in their mobile base, and those who like settling can grow food and process fuel to power their defenses against the wandering zombies.

speaking of wondering zombies hordes, any timeline on their implementation?

Dunno, can’t recall who was working on that.

You’re missing the whole point. If you can’t play the game without habitually exploiting every unbalanced option, I’d argue that there’s something wrong with your manner of play. If I think solar panels are too powerful, I don’t use them – just like I don’t increase my starting points to +20 at character creation or use the CBM modules that detract for my enjoyment of the game. A weightless ammo-less minigun wouldn’t ruin the game for me because I would have the restraint not to use it. If someone else needs such a weapon to enjoy the game, more power to them, and it’d be nice to have that option available for them. It shouldn’t ruin your fun.