6+ months of agonizing "realism" nerfs have ruined this game

Vehicle parts depend on items and the vehicle code previously required upon some ugly hacks to try and correctly handle damage when adding/removing parts. They now use the same code path (with the effect the colours are identical). This should allow us to close unintended behavior such as installing a broken gun as a turret, welding it, and then removing it and wielding it. Multiple code paths that do almost the same thing are a common problem in the codebase. We can’t really work on new features in that area until the existing issues are resolved.

Im always baffled at how little sense they make the first paragraph. its there to beat automated spam filters, sfaik, but have a little more fun with it mayb?

I’m always left wondering if they actually sell anything this way.

They must. Otherwise I don’t see how it would be worth the trouble of making the spambots.

The site it links to is surprisingly professional, too.

Dude, in the other thread the poor spambot talks about it’s relationship problems, and about the Freeman family, including poor Bill “Erectile Dysfunction” Freeman. It’s actually pretty funny stuff.

[quote=“ApatheticExcuse, post:185, topic:12504”]The site it links to is surprisingly professional, too.

Dude, in the other thread the poor spambot talks about it’s relationship problems, and about the Freeman family, including poor Bill “Erectile Dysfunction” Freeman. It’s actually pretty funny stuff.[/quote]
That poor bot, it only wants to make money to try and keep his relationship and support it’s family after losing it’s previous job. D:

so that was a bot post? Interesting.

Yup, back to normalcy for now.

CDDA was a great game. I loved it.

I don’t love the Auto Mechanic 2016 Simulator that it’s become.

In fact, when I see the completely off the wall “Blah blah Simulator 2016” games on Steam I’m usually like, WT-everloving-F - who buys this stuff?

I really don’t get why people who work on this game are hell bent on making such amazingly miserable changes to the game.

Code reviews - or better yet - design reviews - with a shred of common sense - would be pretty neato.

PS - I can’t reset my pwd for this forum since the emails for it never get thru. I saw someone get a link for this via reddit but I can’t find a moderator to try it either. (Hence I post sparingly via work laptop - which is probably for the best)

Unfortunately I don’t yet have sufficient permissions to handle password recovery - and don’t know that I will, as I’m interested in being moderator rather than full Admin. My suggestion would be to message Rivet about this, if you have not already. In my past experience she’s been online regularly enough to catch these sorts of things. I couldn’t get my own password back either when I returned here this September - I finally remembered it thru sheer force of guesswork. Bleh.

I wonder how long before it becomes mandatory that your character has to take a daily shit or your guts explode and you die a horrible death. All in the name of improving realism. The real question is how long you have to idle for them to finish it. Maybe the amount of fiber they get in their diet will have a determination on that. Like if you don’t eat enough food high in fiber it takes as long as repairing a part on your vehicle. And let’s not forget the morale penalty you take if you don’t keep enough rags or craft enough toilet paper to wipe clean afterward. Oh! and make sure you shit where zombies and ferocious animals aren’t nearby or they might home in on the smell. Nothing worse that having that private moment interrupted by a zombie hulk. If you drink too much unclean water you should get Montezuma’s Revenge and generate an extra amount of smell that puts you in even more danger.

I could see that working in a game like this. Having diarrhea might not be romantical but it can be scary when you know that you can die of it, dying of diseases related to it is still very common in the world. Without antibiotics, proper clean water and an easy way to rest would be dangerous. Being excessively dehydrated and weak. Not to mention the zombie factor like you mentioned before. Doing your number one and two could also easily have a risk of attracting monsters afterwards due to the smell if you dont dig it down or something. This could be a huge factor if you plan to build a base somewhere. Yeah, I could see that actually working in a game like this.

Would also get thumbs up from me from the basic fact that it would be the first game to implement basic human hygiene principles that we all do every single day in an mechanically important and in universe fitting way as well. Certainly about as much irritating as having to eat food and sleep atleast.

I could see that working in a game like this. Having diarrhea might not be romantical but it can be scary when you know that you can die of it, dying of diseases related to it is still very common in the world. Without antibiotics, proper clean water and an easy way to rest would be dangerous. Being excessively dehydrated and weak. Not to mention the zombie factor like you mentioned before. Doing your number one and two could also easily have a risk of attracting monsters afterwards due to the smell if you dont dig it down or something. This could be a huge factor if you plan to build a base somewhere. Yeah, I could see that actually working in a game like this.

Would also get thumbs up from me from the basic fact that it would be the first game to implement basic human hygiene principles that we all do every single day in an mechanically important and in universe fitting way as well. Certainly about as much irritating as having to eat food and sleep atleast.[/quote]

Bodily functions are a thing that will never happen, though.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:1, topic:9764”][size=12pt]Poop and related bodily functions: NO[/size]
No, just no, not even in a mod.[/quote]

[quote=“Taberone, post:193, topic:12504”]Bodily functions are a thing that will never happen, though.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:1, topic:9764”][size=12pt]Poop and related bodily functions: NO[/size]
No, just no, not even in a mod.[/quote][/quote]

cough

[quote=“i2amroy, post:2, topic:4869”]Cleaning firearms occasionally? Yes.

Cleaning other things? Possible, but slim

Cleaning clothes? Probably not. The reward for adding it in is probably not worth the amount of hassle it would cause in-game.[/quote]

As a couple examples of stuff that “will never happen”. You don’t have to look too hard to find more.

Cleaning clothes un-happened from the core game, though.

It still happened in the first place. Never assume that an idea is too stupid to make it in game.

Granted, the difference between “need to take a shit” and the examples ApatheticExcuse cited is that those examples were vetoed by other people, not by Kevin. Now if we can get a quote from Kevin stating that catching scurvy some other such nonsense will never be a thing, then all this discussion becomes a moot point.

Because then he’ll have set a precedent for displaying common sense in the past, only to turn right around and decide we need a feature even he previously thought was a bad idea.

You’re literally quoting things from 3 years ago. It’s been agreed filthy clothes were a generally bad idea that only added tedium, it’s in a mod now that with any luck will be forgotten about and support dropped for a while down the line. The ability to handload individual magazines is an improvement. Vitamins currently affect nothing and won’t until they’re put through the development ringer further, then they’ll get a mod to disable them or people will complain enough that being disabled will be standard just like dirty clothes.

It is called changing your mind.

Yeah, but that happened quietly behind Granades back. There’s a high probability that when he becomes active again he’ll throw a shit fit and try to make you re-mainline it. You saw how defensive he got on github whenever anyone suggested removing it.

How about, instead of taking a guess at how people not present will react, we just decide if we want these features or not.

With a group this big, sometimes somebody’s idea makes it into a game despite pre-planning to avoid a feature. For some folks, you just gotta try it to see why it was a bad idea in theory. If we add bad things only to remove them - yes, it is technically a waste of time. We’re also not really doing this on a deadline, so. I say roll with it.

I agree though, no pooping. Washing clothes doesn’t add anything of value.

If I have to track nutrients, I don’t want it to be anything more complex than the foodgroup types listed. Meat, junk, plant matter, dairy, etc. Give me scurvy if I never eat any plant matter, sure, but don’t make vitamin C an separate hidden stat. Don’t add more numbers into it.