What are some things that should be in the Cataclysm?

More thermal gear or a better way to deal with those damn ice labs, More end game locations to trawl through, and more ways to raise your skills past 10

3 Likes

Tbf, you can wear four sets of themals iirc, two sets as a whole suit and two sets as individual parts. Unless something has changed since I last tested it anyways.

still, some more high tech solutions would be nice, also balaclavas don’t fit rat muzzles

2 Likes

Aye, your not wrong.

I really like the idea of adding anomalies and wish I was a better programmer. They fit right in the cataclysm theme, and more environmental hazards would be great. Simple ones like the scorcher or acid type ones can probably be done via the trap system, but what I really want is the mini vortex type to suck items, monsters, and players in.
The trick is not murdering new players with zero trap skill to a seemingly invisible trap.

3 Likes

You’ve given me the small push I needed to make my first PR! Thanks.

4 Likes

My evil plan to generate more content for CDDA by making it easier for people to contribute continues to bear fruit!

Good job on the first commit. I fixed a minor typo in your summary line.

5 Likes

Phased plasma rifle in a40 watt range.

2 Likes

Text parser for npcs. Maybe could evolve to be like Morrowind’s to an extent. Conversations could be started or expanded by typing and/or coming across keywords to uncover more info and topics.

1 Like

REAL NPC factions, and camps

I would love to se actual functining NPC factions and camp, building their camps in real time.
Alot of the camp system is already automatic, so its not far off.

Factions wars would be awesome, them sending troops to raid you, or steal from you, and you having to defend and counter attack them.

You could negotiate with them, make allies or enemies or peace, maybe even dominate/enslave their camp to you… Ooooor roll them over with a tank :wink:

Would really make the game world feel alife.

4 Likes

Time to revive this thread.

I’d like to see an Echolocation mutation for troglobites and fish that pings every minute or so, letting you see terrain around you for one turn before it goes into map memory. The difficult thing would be coding some terrain to block it - like windows, which you can see through but shouldn’t be able to echolocate through.

3 Likes

Oooh, sorta like the smell vision for cbm’s?

A bit like it, yeah, with the obvious exception that it wouldn’t leak through windows, doors, etc. The ‘ping’ would stop at any solid surface and end there (with exceptions for things like metal bars, trees…) revealing everything else in a radius around you.

1 Like

Trainable then ride-able Horses. Fueled by feed and go at the slowest vehicle speed.

4 Likes

I would like to get some time to implement animal engines and rideable horses, but I keep getting too busy with other projects.

If some programmer new to CDDA likes horses and wants a good learning project, I can probably walk someone through the necessary code changes.

8 Likes

I think “prone to headaches/migraines” would be a killer negative trait to implement.

Could you imagine trying to survive whilst suffering a massive pounder of a headache? Give it something like -1 STR, -1 DEX, -2 INT, -2 PER for a headache, and -2 STR, -2 DEX, -4 INT, -4 PER for a migraine, and we’d have a really challenging negative trait to deal with. Throw in more distraction from mounting pain…

Yeah. Keep that aspirin handy.

I like that idea very much. Migraines are truly debilitating and it would be interesting to play a character that had to work around it.

Would it be C++ or JSON to implement such a thing?

Edit: Animals as engines, I mean.

2 Likes

Probably C++, very likely

50% of it is straight JSON - defining the animals as vehicle parts. Fairly straightforward.

There’s a couple of things that would need to be changed in the code:

• the vslot_engine would need to take an optional max speed
  • the max speed code would need to respond the engine’s maximum speed if any
  • a new function, fairly similar to the current function that captures animals, would need to be written. It would need see what kind of animal got captured, free it if it’s the wrong kind of animal, or install the animal engine.

I’m familiar with most of the code, and can mentor someone, but I don’t have time to test and debug it myself.

3 Likes