Translations WTF-2022+ Thread (currently: rock for both music and stones)

This thread is for asking about any bizarre strings you don’t know how to translate.
So if you come across anything weird or confusing while translating, post here, and hopefully someone will be able to clarify.

Previous WTF-thread was last posted over 3 years ago, so I suggest to start new one.

in Transifex master-cataclysm-dda I see similar names for batteries, e.g.:
“light battery” and “light battery cell”. And the description for them seems to be the same, the text has folowing DEVELOPER NOTES: “~ Description for light battery ~ Description for light battery cell”.
Are they two different entities, or maybe one of items is obsolete? Do I need to translate both?

Though I do not code. Could be best to translate each object individually to avoid programming errors when objects overlap.

in master-cataclysm-dda (Transifex) I see 2 similar strings:
“You have no butchering tool.” #32276
“You don’t have a butchering tool.” #23398
Can we combine them somehow into one entity? Or let’s add a comment/note for translators if these two are different, to make them able to distinguish between meanings?

I actually can’t find where in the code “You don’t have a butchering tool.” exists. So it’s probably not feasible to combine them. There isn’t a difference in their meaning, either.

There are multiple similar strings for gorwing pots, e.g.
“garden pots (growing oats)” #7586
“garden pots (growing buckwheat)” #7576
And so on. Is there a way to split and unify those strings? Something like that -
“garden pots (%1)”,
“growing %1”,
“ripe %1”
and then just insert oats, buckwheat and carrot in code? It could reduce number of strings and simplify translation

1 Like

+1 to this. There are also numerous basecamp strings like “northeast tent, northwest bed, we should build northwest tent, we should build southwest shack from metal, we should build southwest room from wood”. It it possible to reform them in the same way?

%1 %2 (where %1 is a location, %2 is a building) from %3 (%3 is a material).

I’ve noticed that now zombie type names now have plurals (e.g. acidic zombie, acidic zombies etc.), while in previous “0.D-cataclysm-dda” pack there were only singular names (“acidic zombie”, and that’s all for this type).
Please confirm that this is expected change and everything is OK :slight_smile:

Why for “pair of expensive flip-flops” - on transifex “other” form is “pairs of flip-flops”? Should it be “pairs of expensive flip-flops”?

I see two descriptions for ‘golden crown’, looks like it is a duplicate:

• A delicate golden crown featuring flowering trees.
  • A golden crown for the monarch of survivors.

They both refer to the same item, according to Dev.notes:
DEVELOPER NOTES
~ Description for {‘str’: ‘golden crown’}

different items, see json/items/armor/misc.json:

{
"id": "crown_golden",
"type": "ARMOR",
"name": { "str": "golden crown" },
"description": "A delicate golden crown featuring flowering trees.",
"weight": "1000 g",
"volume": "1 L",
"price": 30000,
"price_postapoc": 100,
"material": [ "gold" ],
"symbol": "[",
"looks_like": "hat_cotton",
"color": "yellow",
"covers": [ "head" ],
"coverage": 30,
"encumbrance": 20,
"material_thickness": 2,
"flags": [ "SUPER_FANCY" ]
    },
    {
"id": "crown_golden_survivor",
"type": "ARMOR",
"name": { "str": "golden crown" },
"description": "A golden crown for the monarch of survivors.",
"weight": "1000 g",
"volume": "1 L",
"price": 30000,
"price_postapoc": 150,
"material": [ "gold" ],
"symbol": "[",
"looks_like": "crown_golden",
"color": "yellow",
"covers": [ "head" ],
"coverage": 30,
"encumbrance": 20,
"material_thickness": 2,
"flags": [ "FANCY" ]
    }

First can spawn in museums and… “vault” itemgroup? I guess it’s mansion vaults? Anyway, second is craftable-only.

Thanks.
Maybe these two items should have different names if they are not the same? Like “ancient gold crown” and/or “makeshift gold crown”?
Or at least we need some notes for translators, to make it clear that there are two different items.

You can make an issue on github, or make a PR straight away. It’s just json editing, after all.

Does anyone know what they mean with “unarmed weapon”?

weapons that you use in lieu of your fists, i.e. brass knuckles, fist wraps, etc.

1 Like

Monoblade is counted as unarmed too. There’s also a list of unarmed weapons on chezzo.

1 Like

Current “rock” string in transifex (#9122) is used for both throwing stones and music genre:
~ Item name
~ Snippet in category “<musicgenre_noun>”
We need to separate them, since in other languages it has separate translations.
I want to be able to set 2 different translations in Ukrainian: “камінь” for those a character can throw and “рок” (рок-музика) for a music genre that a character can listen in mp3-player.

1 Like

Yes, we have the same issue in Spanish…