Re: General computer Chat & Helpline -> current topic: Open for questions

So I am using Linux Mint these days, and mostly loving it minus a few areas. Most involving mozila firefox unfortunately :frowning:

[ul][li]No adobe Flash support, or unity support[/li]
[li]This themes thing v[/li][/ul]

the thing that annoys me most at the moment is that my mint theme (Mint-Y-Dark) is overriding site defaults for textareas but not the font color so I get dark grey on slightly less dark grey. I can’t seem to get the userContent.css file I created to stick though.

/home/litppunk/.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default/storage/permanent/chrome

what should this look like? I think I am being redundant here but I can’t seem to get it to work even when I restart firefox.

*, select, textarea{ background: none !important; Color: none !important; background-color: none !important; }

Edit: solved
Themes settings > unchecked use theme for certain applications. why did nowhere I checked mention this?

If it’s not in Mint’s package repository, then head over to get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ and get it from there. You can try the ubuntu apt thing if you like, it may work fine on Mint.
Alternately, just get the .tar.gz NPAPI version and extract it to a temporary directory somewhere, and copy libflashplayer.so to firefox’s plugin directory. Installing the other files will require root access, but it’s not really necessary either, it’s just configuration stuff.

firefox doesn’t seem to want to ‘install from file’ the file. Says its corrupt

Okay, I’m not sure what’s up with that.
Just grab the tar.gz then. Make sure you get the NPAPI, it’s Netscape Plugin API, which Firefox supports natively. (The other one is for Chrome’s new Pepper API which you can get Firefox to use, but it’s a pain, and requires a wrapper thing.)
Extract it to a temp directory and copy the libflashplayer.so into your mozilla plugins directory, and you should have Flash up and running then. You’ll have to update it manually, which is the downside to manually installing rather than using your distro’s package, but I guess if Mint isn’t packaging the Flash plugin anymore you’ll have to make do.

I think I’m just stupid, and have misled you. I have flash. It’s just not full range since its not supported anymore. I can do most things but I’ll crash if I right click, and some stuff just doesn’t work at all claiming a memory problem.

Okay, that’s just weird. I’m not sure what’s wrong, because I don’t have that kind of problem. I’m running the latest Flash off Adobe’s site, and no crashing or memory problems ever come up. Maybe test your ram, just in case?

Also Adobe began supporting Flash on Linux again a while back. It’s not been unsupported (by Adobe, not necessarily any given distro) for some time.

Its got 16 Gb installed. fresh out of the box. I spent alot of time playing modded minecraft and rimworld just yesterday Max graphics. Smooth as could be. I haven’t seen anywhere I can allocate any more mem to firefox either. Have I missed something?

Not that I can see. If everything else is stable your ram is probably fine, though you might want to test it anyway. (I used to have a bad stick of ram back when I used to dual-boot, and discovered that Linux is surprisingly resilient about that. Windows would behave strangely and crash a lot, Linux would basically run like nothing was wrong)
I’m kind of stumped as to why Flash is behaving so badly for you. Can you see what version of Flash you’re running? Did it come installed with Mint or did you install it yourself?

Shockwave Flash 26.0.0.151 libflashplayer.so

I think it came pre-installed and then I tried to install to get it to work? I don’t remember the order It all anymore.
Edit:

Memory: 7.8GiB

:confused: odd

Oh, one of the Cards wasn’t in all the way, on Reboot 15.7 O.o wow I’ve created a monster.

Yep, that’s the latest one.

Edit:

Memory: 7.8GiB

:confused: odd

Oh, one of the Cards wasn’t in all the way, on Reboot 15.7 O.o wow I’ve created a monster.

Well hey, maybe that had something to do with it. Hopefully that’ll fix it.

Still nothing for unity because unity only supports Safari and Internet Explorer -_-. Guess it’ll be safari. Not found a problematic flash yet.

Nope flash still acts up. Right click crashes. It’s suppost to give a menu and from there your suposed to be able to change the local storage settings for flash. I was able to change them FROM the deny local storage that my brother just clicked on (not prieviously a problem) through
https://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html
But right click still crashes Adobe Flash. Any ideas? I’m guru-ed out.

Yeah, I’m pretty stumped too. Here’s an idea, find the libflashplayer.so file and run ldd on it, and let’s see what the output is. Like so:

ldd libflashplayer.so

That basically gives us a list of what libraries a file is linked to, and their locations. If something’s not found then that’ll be an easy fix.

Can’t seem to find the file. Only libflashplayer.so that search is pulling up is in PlayonLinux’s support files. and .Mozilla and .adobe dead-end everywhere I would expect to see it. Even manually placed a ‘plugins’ folder and threw a copy of libflashplayer.so in there. and restarted firefox. still crash on right click. going to delete that file now before I forget since its clearly got flash stored elsewhere.

It looks like I am going to need to get a windows distribution and make this thing Dual boot.
Problem is when I set up the computer I installed Linux, I either messed up the SSD, or intalled on the wrong HD and then messed up the HD trying to switch where the Boot was kept. So now its on the 1TB hard drive, because the SSD developed a “The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is 512 bytes” Issue.

This should correct it right? Seems like I will want to navigate to the damaged drive before I do… don’t want to mess with the working 1TB along with the damaged 500MB SSD

Im going to work on fixing it and migrate the Linux over there, and then partition a space for windows to rest so I can do EdX, steam, Starcraft_II and other expansive highly interconnecting and interacting programs without having to go through PlayonLinux’s finickyness in that area. Got it backed up on a 3rd HD that won’t even be connected during the process. But I suspect issues may arise with this upcoming headache. Any help or advise would be appreciated as I continue.

Also, on the planning for the worst, trying for the best side of things what cross platform anti-virus software would you recommend? (for linux to scan windows? Having multiple drives should make slave scanning drives especially easy and effective.

Try this: go into about:config and set plugin.expose_full_path to true, then open about:plugins, and it will tell you where Firefox is getting flash from, so you can check that file. If it was installed by your package manager it’ll probably be under /usr.

This should correct it right?

That should wipe the partition table, sure.

Also, on the planning for the worst, trying for the best side of things what cross platform anti-virus software would you recommend? (for linux to scan windows? Having multiple drives should make slave scanning drives especially easy and effective.

Well, I can’t help you much there, as I haven’t dual booted since my old XP install finally ate itself many years ago. I know clamav can scan your windows drive, though I’m not sure how effective it is.

For the SDD fix, I was looking confirmation on how I should use that code to keep from erasing ALL the hard drives or some such, but I think I see it now
The SDD is SDB, and the 1T is SBA, so modifying it from:

To

is what I want to do right?
the Change being:

Sorry if Im getting a bit obnoxious about this. Erasing data on running machines via code I don’t fully understand gets me nervous.

Edit: also I am not showing any plugin.expose I have network.protocol-handler.expose, and plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types;application/pdf
Oh,
plugin.state.flash;1
Thats the only plugin. that says anything about flash

any of that help us?

[quote=“Litppunk, post:16, topic:14167”]For the SDD fix, I was looking confirmation on how I should use that code to keep from erasing ALL the hard drives or some such, but I think I see it now
The SDD is SDB, and the 1T is SBA, so modifying it from:

To

is what I want to do right?
the Change being:

Sorry if Im getting a bit obnoxious about this. Erasing data on running machines via code I don’t fully understand gets me nervous.[/quote]

Yeah, you’re right to be careful with that sort of thing. I’d just use cfdisk to clear the partitions, myself. But if you’ve already tried that or gdisk or whatever and it won’t take, zeroing the partition table like you’re doing might be warranted.
And no need to apologize, it’s cool. We’ll get this sorted sooner or later!

Edit: also I am not showing any plugin.expose I have network.protocol-handler.expose, and plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types;application/pdf Oh, plugin.state.flash;1 Thats the only plugin. that says anything about flash

any of that help us?

Ah, that’s right it’s not a default option. You’ll have to add plugin.expose_full_path as a new thing, then set it to true. Once you’ve done that it’ll show you exactly where it’s getting its flash plugin from in about:plugins. (I really think they ought to have this on by default, hiding it doesn’t do anyone any favors, and is basically just not trusting the users)

Yeah, you're right to be careful with that sort of thing. I'd just use cfdisk to clear the partitions, myself. But if you've already tried that or gdisk or whatever and it won't take, zeroing the partition table like you're doing might be warranted. And no need to apologize, it's cool. We'll get this sorted sooner or later!
Thanks for being understanding, but you still didn't answer the question. Is that edit to the code (that I made up on the spot with no foreknowledge, based soley on what it looks like its doing to my untrained eye) the correct thing to do, or do I need to navigate to the SSD in prompt and input the original there?

I think Gparted spit the fault back at me as the reason for not being able to fix it but I may have misunderstood what the system was trying to tell me. I’ll doublecheck before I try this.

Ah, that's right it's not a default option. You'll have to add plugin.expose_full_path as a new thing, then set it to true. Once you've done that it'll show you exactly where it's getting its flash plugin from in about:plugins. (I really think they ought to have this on by default, hiding it doesn't do anyone any favors, and is basically just not trusting the users)
Hmm you didn't say how to do this, mozilla says security liability on some systems, I assume linux is not one of them? They also say that it is no longer needed and the path is displayed in full on about:config under path: but......

OH. Firefox isn’t up to date… odd. Why is that not part of synaptic package manager… its included in there. :confused: hmm. OH… no it is 55.0.2 which shuld be close enough, and updating further would probably only be bleeding edge…
well, that was a disapointing adventure. Time to go eat, and come back to this when Im less upset with this problem.

Provided /dev/sdb is the right disk, then yeah, that will zero the partition table on that drive.

Hmm you didn't say how to do this,

Oh, sorry. You would open about:config and right click in the window, and select New->Boolean. Name it “plugin.expose_full_path” and set it to “true” and then about:plugins will tell you the full path that it’s loading a plugin from. But if it’s already showing the path, then we don’t need to set this anyway.

mozilla says security liability on some systems, I assume linux is not one of them?

I assume that’s just boilerplate butt-covering to warn people who go tinkering with about:config. I can’t think of any way to exploit knowing the location of a plugin from firefox that isn’t also available with the old find command - the exploit would be in having write access to plugins, or the directory, so you could add your own malicious plugin if you had access to the computer. Knowing where it’s at is just a convenience.

They also say that it is no longer needed and the path is displayed in full on about:config under path: but......

So they finally made it the default? That’s good to know. I never understood why they hid it in the first place.

facepalm I should have read what was in front of me. If the input is T/F of course its boolean.

Hmm. where does it display now? About:config, or add-ons manager, or somwhere else? Hmm. I’ll try restarting firefox and if I find it then I’ll jump back and post solved.

nope. Feel like seeing MIME types is new, but that doesn’t lead me anywhere useful as I can’t find that file path.

ah… directory links.json is less helpful than it sounded

OH.

[spoiler=pluginreg.dat (~/home/litppunk/.mozilla/firefox/mwad0hks.default)]
Generated File. Do not edit.

[HEADER]
Version:0.18t:$
Arch:x86_64-gcc3:$

[PLUGINS]
libflashplayer.so:blush:
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so:$
26.0.0.151:$
1500955590000:0:0:0:$
Shockwave Flash 26.0 r0:$
Shockwave Flash:$
0:application/x-shockwave-flash:Shockwave Flash:swf:$
1:application/futuresplash:FutureSplash Player:spl:$

[INVALID]
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so:$
1503717566000:$[/spoiler]

if thats not useful its got to at least be in the right directory branch

how did I not see that before, or was that becasue of plugin.expose?