Hybrid Inventory [2019-5-8]

The maintainers want a similar system, but not hybrid. Every container should be able to store specific items, but you should also be able to let the program decide where stuff is for when you don’t care.

Unfortunately, no one seems to be working on the superior inventory system. But no one wants to merge Robik’s changes only to remove them for the superior system.

I believe reverting the changes is as simple as merging them. it would require two builds though (which I doubt is remotely a problem)

Easiest way to make it work with other clothing is making new .json file inside of the HybridInventory folder, copy desired clothing from default game .json files, attach extra “container_data” element at the end, and tweak “storage” and “contains” values as you please.

Example:

{
    "id": "greatcoat",
    "type": "ARMOR",
    "name": "greatcoat",
    "description": "A heavy, full-length wool coat.  Cumbersome, but warm and with deep pockets.",
    "weight": 2428,
    "volume": 32,
    "price": 18000,
    "to_hit": -3,
    "material": [ "wool" ],
    "symbol": "[",
    "color": "blue",
    "covers": [ "TORSO", "ARMS", "LEGS" ],
    "coverage": 95,
    "encumbrance": 23,
    "storage": 11,
    "warmth": 50,
    "material_thickness": 4,
    "environmental_protection": 1,
    "flags": [ "VARSIZE", "POCKETS", "COLLAR", "OUTER" ],
    "container_data" : {
        "contains": 11
    }		
  }

Since you did not specify the exact type of coat, I vent with greatcoat, but it is the same for the rest. Original “storage” was 22, I splitted the value between “storage” and “contains” to both having 11.

It is not necessary to keep your changes in your own .json file, but it is much easier to keep your changes when you download new .zip that way.

I updated the my branch with latest changes in vanilla game and compiled game.

The compiled game contains these features aside from HI itself:

• Sort out my loot, please - PR
  • Chainsaw and a tree - PR
  • Farm - keep animals / pets inside of an designated animal zone (depends on Sort out my loot, I’l PR it in the future)

Realy wish this could be added to main branch as an option ETC LOVE IT :slight_smile:

I am so in favor of “keep pets inside a zone”. It’s probably not going to get accepted, but just something to keep animals from wandering out of their animal pens would be great.

I hear good things about using nails + hammer + the beasties feet =D

Well yeah, you have to nail them to the perch, otherwise they’ll muscle up to those bars and VOOM!

Yeah, I am not even sure I want to try. I have enough of drama as it is :wink:

• Activation and Reload of specific items without picking them up - PR
  • Farm - keep animals / pets inside of an designated animal zone (depends on Sort out my loot, I’l PR it in the future)

Chainsaw and a tree - PR got into the mainline, so it is no longer an extra

4 Likes

Thank you for doing the chainsaw work, that was great stuff.

I really like the looks of the sort out my loot please. I waste so much IRL time sorting my loot, even though in game time it is trivial, most of the time is spent scanning the list to see what I want where and going back when I realize I’ve missed placing something in my piles. I hope it gets mainlined, despite the drama… Also hope the guy doing the base mechanics hasn’t really left, as both look like tasty additions.

1 Like

Glad you like it.

It is still nothing compared to additions some other guys are doing, like you and nexusmrsep.

Or the mergers, ZhilkinSerg does insane amount of work, though I noticed that the only mergers seems to be him and Rivet… not sure if it can stay like that for prolonged period of time.

Shouldn’t be a problem. It might get nerfed some more game time wise, but I did not notice any indication that it would be rejected in its entirety.

I hope he will return too.
I don’t play with NPC because they suck. Anyone who works on them to suck less, is valuable contributor.

4 Likes

The time nerf argument is silly, you proved your point flawlessly.

I am working on some farming improvements, so I thought I post a sample 20s long video of the farm plot tiling feature as an appetizer here.

2 Likes

QoL improvements like this are what Cata needs imho.

• Activation and Reload of specific items without picking them up - PR
  • Farm (depends on Sort out my loot, I’l PR it in the future)
    • Animal zone - keep animals / pets inside of an designated animal zone
    • Plot zone - till nearby plot zones, you can set specific seed for each plot zone and plant them

Here is video to see tilling and planting in action.

Compiled game has improved version where you can see selected seed for plant zone in Zone Manager window.

1 Like

Finally. I found it so annoying to pick up a lantern and then light it and then put it back down again. Same with some of the tools. You sir, are the hero we need.

It contains my latest changes in Farm - Plot zone.

If you have Zone manager opened, all zones that support the feature will have its tiles marker with specific graphics. It does solve the problem of designating multiple zones in one go (until you till them all and separation is clearly visible) and trying to remember where the previous one ended.

Currently the only zone that supports it is Plot zone.

Here is a picture how it looks.

3 Likes

In Sort out my loot please, what does P. food and P. drink stand for… I feel like its probably obvious but i’m not seeing it.

Btw Congrats on getting such a badass feature PRed. Zones were such an under utilized and potentially useful feature.

NM I read the PR more closely and saw it.