Adventures of the Catawastes

Lit parks the “RV” a noticeable distance from anything bringing a tablet with him and locks the RV when everyones out then hits a remote as they start to move away.

“probably the safest area around one could hope to park a vehicle, but no reason to get overly complacent.” he explains

Helena:“True enough, so want to see the sheriff now, or do you want to check the place out, I could use a drink personally”

Momotaro:“It’s noon…” turns to Jane “Don’t take anything she does to heart ok?”

Jane:nods

(if you want the party can separate and go to different places and meet back at the “RV”, Jane would of course be with one of the adults)

Think I’ll poke around town, probably hit the sheriff’s office first, see if they need anything and update them on local news. Ya’ll are welcome to come if you want, but don’t head back to the RV without me, security should recognize you, but better hard coded in before you approach it without me. Won’t unlock without remote or known prints anyways.

I’ll get you in the system when we get back.

Helena:“Cool, I will hit the bar then, best place to learn what is going on in the region” she heads off to the Saloon

Momotaro: he looks at Jane “want to go to the shop with me?, they might have a jacket on your size”

Jane:“Ok… um… see you later mister” she says shyly to Litppunk

Momotaro:“またね” he then waves and the pair walk to the store

Lit head into the sheriffs office

Entering the former fire station, you see very few signs of the place it used to be, there are several people monitoring radio equipment, messing with computers and maintaining weaponry, not one of the men and woman working here is without a firearm, the two men you rescued from the mine are talking with some of their colleagues.

A Tin Star working the reception desk sees you.

Tin Star receptionist:“Ah!, you are the one those were talking about, the sheriff is expecting you, just go up those stairs” she motions to the stairs

Going up the stairs a ajar door with “Sheriff’s office” painted in marker stands before you, inside the room an older man stands behind a desk.

Sheriff Mason

He is a grizzled man in his late 40s, he is wearing a duster, shirt, pants and hiking boots, in his back there is a back holster containing a Lever Action.45-70 rifle, pined in his shirt is a sheriff badge that is somewhat faded and worn.

Sheriff Mason:“So, you are the one that rescued my deputies, please do come in” he motions for you to enter

"Yes, I picked up some folk in Belfast, and helped the town with a problem they normally would have expected your lads to take care of. While we were resolving the problems, we discovered that the root of them was a PMC calling themselves the MVP’s, a group that had caused similar problems in the town I had been in before that.

We put 2 and 2 together and came up 5 assuming this was a near identical issue, and fearing it would escalate before we get there, we went straight to the area we had been told about. Once we got there we found it to only be a secluded group wanting privacy, but about to escalate things to the same disastrous endgame. Since we were on-site already, we cleared up the miscommunications and got your boys out."

Sheriff Mason:“Yes, Belfast, some scouts send word of some gang attacking them, but we have our hands full, it seems like all manner of shitstorm decided to sweep through the region, hordes moving close to settlements, raiders getting riled up, monsters sightings, all suddenly deciding to show up one after the other, quite the coincidence hmm?” he moves to his cabinet opens it and pours two glasses of whiskey and offers one of the glasses to you “I have heard of these MVP’s as soon as they show up here suddenly life got a lot more complicated, what do you know about them?”

“A strong PMC group that has confiscated all the most advanced, and experimental technology, knowledgeable people, and any other advantageous assets they can get their hands on. The local section is led by a ruthless, heartless beauty of a cyborg thats been dealing addictive mutagens to local warlords in exchange for favors, and weaponry, while the mutagen has been causing the local warlords to come unhinged and destabilize the region.”

(picks up the whiskey as he talks, gives it a sniff while he stirs the glass by rotating the bottom and holding the top in place, hand palm down over top of it, then sets it back down dipping his pinky into it and raising it to his mouth all in the same motion touching it to his tongue as he continues)

If I were a betting man, I’d say they plan a hostile takeover of the whole region, either in a slash and burn fashion once they’ve crippled the regional powers, or in a sort of ‘saviors of the day’ protection racket kind of scheme where everyones so grateful for SOMEONE to be maintaining the peace the civs don’t bother asking many questions.

I imagine theyr’e saving your town for last either because your further from them, and they’d rather not drive through hostile territory to get to you, or because your the strongest force around. Either way, they’ll likely be trying to weaken, or outright attack you before long, and when they come, your best bet is probably going to be to
1: stockpile resources, and weapons where they won’t find them, leaving enough in the normal warehouses and such that they won’t think your holding out
2: decline any trade or gifts from them, gently but firmly,
3: put up token resistance to any large hostility and bend the knee until they are looking the other way.

It’ll hurt your pride, and you’ll likely get a few kicks in the teeth when they make their move, but you’ll be alive and capable of fighting when the timing is better, and we know where they are operating out of, so you’r not playing defensively on the back foot.

But thats just my advice. I havn’t gotten a good enough look at their or your equipment to know for sure if they outclass you regionally, but everything points to you’r being VERY outclassed and out gunned, with any victories you might get being short term, and costing you too much in the long term.

Making friends with any groups you arn’t already that could hit them from behind would be a huge asset as well. The mutant trio being a prime example."

(gulps the whiskey and sets the glass down)

Sheriff Mason: he seems impressed with your knowledge “We are substantially armed and more important, trained than the average survivor faction you see around” he gulps his drink “Many of our own are former police officers and hunters, so if it came to a fight we would use guerrilla tactics, hit and run, ambushes, they would win, sure, but they would pay dearly, and I guess they think this place isn’t worth that… yet” he stands up and looks out his window “so they get us trying to put out fires all over the place, spread us thin, if we turtle up the ‘fires’ pile up and overwhelm us, if spread out and take care of the outline problems the MVPs swoop in and cut a line right to our heart” he sighs heavily and turns to you “We are in a bad spot stranger, we more man power or everything will fall apart, you and your group look pretty capable and you already helped my men so, if you are willing I would like to hire you, there are some ‘fires’ that still need putting out, also I have an idea to strengthen our position a bit” he waits for your response

Litppunk Laughs "If I charged for services you won’t be able to afford me. As is I think I have enough to gain in the region that I shouldn’t need to charge my worth. Especially if I am also paid in trust, and favors where needed as well.

What I need the most right now, is anything is to be brought up on the history of the area, especially conflict, and any leads you might have on their base(s) of operation, as well as where your various ‘fires’ are in the area, current, smoldering, or ready to ignite.

If you could supply me with a ranger, scout, or guide of some-sort that knows the area better than the back of their own hand, and can think on the fly, or the run, I wouldn’t turn them away.

Sheriff Mason: he chuckles “Let’s see…”

Situations needing attention

“there is a horde moving down south, but we can handle that, we usually circle around the horde and pick off the most dangerous zombies, then just make them move away from the civilized places, making noise to draw them away you know?” he scratches his beard

“then there are the folks from Deblois, they called on the radio about seeing some monsters, then just radio silence we need someone to check on them, see what is going on, why they haven’t reported and clear the area from hostiles”

“There was the issue of my missing patrol on the mines, but you handled that”

“the road down south of Old Town has a new “road block”, we didn’t put it up and whoever did is charging ludicrous amounts of supplies for passage, most likely is the MVP’s you mentioned trying to drive people away from here”

“this is not a priority, but someone should check on Old Town, see how they are doing, be warned, they are… strange”

"and finally there is the cabin in the middle of the woods, north of here, hunters looking for game, report strange noises coming from there, I have a bad feeling about that place… oh yes!, a detective by the name of Belrose asked about the place a day ago, ‘wanted to investigate the place’ "

“with we having to reinforce patrols for fear of hostiles around, we are spread thin and can’t assign men to these places any help would be appreciated”

Sheriff Mason: he picks up his radion “Megan, could you send Willson to the office?” from the radio “right away sir”

a minute later a man in typical Tin Star uniform climbs the stairs and enters the room

Willson:“you called me sir?”

Sheriff Mason: motions to you “this young fellow here is willing to lend us a hand, whoever he is a stranger to these parts and could use a guide, seeing as you used to be a ranger I thought you would be the best for the job”

Willson:“Of course, sir!” he turns to you “I’m Willson Widicker” he extends his hand for a shake

Sheriff Mason:“One more thing, a few weeks ago a scientist by the name of Karadin came through here, he had a modified chicken walker accompanying him, he fixed the salon’s jukebox in exchange for free lodging and food and a few days latter left, given what he did with the chicken walker and what little he said about himself, I would wager he could reprogram any number of robots that wander about, he is a lanky man with a dirty lab coat, his arrogant attitude is unmistakable, if you were to happen to find him please, try to convince him to assist us or at the very least that our enemies should be his as well, he travelled north most likely through the motel road”

Willson's gear

The Map

Lit shakes Wilson’s hand clasping it in both of his own during a portion of the shake. "look forward to working with you, Sherif seems to think you’re wit will be quick enough for the foreseeable problems we’ll be running into and I hope its fast enough for any I don’t anticipate already. I don’t want to have to bring Mason a corpse if hes mistaken, and I especially don’t want to turn up in a body bag if you don’t manage to stay mentally flexible during critical moments so make sure you’re prepared to make make plans, adjustments, and if necessary make up, and collaborate with stories on the fly.

Alright, I’ll talk it over with the group I picked up in Belfast, but the priorities seem like Karadin and Deblois, since they are the most likely to be especially time sensitive, roadblocks and things going bump in the cabin at night arn’t likely to move on too quickly.

My thought is that we will head to the motel and check it for Karadin, if we havn’t run into him by then, or spotted a trail that veers off, since his chicken walker will leave easilly noticeable tracks, then check on Deblois. From there South to resolve those problems. I’ll check the plan with my people but there probably won’t be much deviation.

Litppunk starts to walk off when a muted whistle sounds, sifting into a rapidly increasing tempo of fu…fu…fu.fufufu sounds comes from Wilson’s cuff along with some brilliant flashes in time with the sounds… the increasing tempo is similar to some stereotypical bomb final countdowns.

Wilson: he hurriedly checks his cuffs as he heard the sounds

Sheriff Mason:“What the?”

Wilson finds a small strobbing device stuck on his cuff. It is clearly pyrotechnical in nature, and is beginning to burn the cuff it is stuck too even as it flashes to bright too look at.

Wilson: he rips the device off, tearing a chunk of the cuff in the process, he then throws the device at Litppunks feet “What the hell did you do that for!?”

Better to know how well you can react now then find out later when I’m doing some off balance negotiating with the vicious local leader of the MVP’s.
I suspect we’ll run into them sooner than we’ll be ready to do so, which means that if it happens it will be a crucial life and death moment.

Wilson:“you got some way of getting to know people!”

Sheriff Mason:“that is enough” turns to Litppunk “I would not have trusted Wilson with accompanying you if I did not believe he could handle being under pressure” turns back to Wilson “now Wilson, I trust you can keep your head clear and not let first impressions sour your judgment”

Wilson:"… Yes, sir" turns to Litppunk “then lead the way… unless there is another bomb on me I should know about…”

“A strobe the size of a small stack of quarters, intended for distraction and disrucption hardly counts as a bomb” Litppunk grumbles

“No more, my apologies for the light show, I don’t make a habit of things like that, but I also don’t normally need a strong understanding of a relative stranger in such a small relative time frame.”

Wilson:“fair enought” he begins walking toward the stairs

Sheriff Mason:“Wilson!, take some explosives with you, might come in handy”

Wilson:“Will do sheriff!” turns to Litppunk “I’m going to go take some dynamite from the armory, meet you outside” he resumes his walk now on a brisker pace