Blacklisting professions: is it possible?

I know it’s possible to blacklist items, is it possible to blacklist professions using a mod? If so, what would I need to do?

Couldn’t you just… not use that profession? I’m not sure I see what the point of this would be.

Unless you mean blacklisting professions from specific starting scenarios? I’m sure there’s a way to do that.

I want to remove professions that rely on future tech, such as the bionic professions, from any of the game starts that use my mod, without removing the professions from the main game.

I might be speaking out of ignorance but maybe look at the mod “Roguelike Classes” or somesuch, to see how that mod creates the classes. I’ve never tried that mod myself though. I’m suggesting an approach where you’d recreate only the classes and professions you wish to include, as opposed to blacklisting certain ones.

When I say blacklist, I mean something like the No Rivtech Guns mod, only for things like the bionic professions and some scenarios.

Do you mean the mod bundled with the game, or another version? The prepackaged Roguelike Classes mod only adds more classes, it doesn’t do anything to modify the core classes.

Oh. Then I was talking ignorantly. I thought the mod would only allow roguelike classes. But, yeah, instead it just ADDS a bunch.

OK, so if you look at No Rivtech Guns, or any item blacklister mod, it includes a line “type”: “ITEM_BLACKLIST”. Perhaps the first thing to do is try “type”: “PROFESSION_BLACKLIST”

Then you would look at professions.json to get the names ("ident"s) of each target profession, such as Bionic Prepper, which is called bionic_prepper, and you would list those idents in the mod file.

And really, I’m just guessing here.

Thank you for the suggestion BeerBeer. I have tested PROFESSION_EXCLUDE and PROF_EXCLUDE using a test mod just now and both return an error. It may be necessary for me to dive into the source code and find out where the X_EXCLUDE stuff is.

That feature does not exist currently, but would be very easy to add.

Is it going to be added to mainline by the development team, or are you saying I could easily add it myself?
Either way, I’m happy.

Is it going to be added to mainline by the development team, or are you saying I could easily add it myself?
Either way, I’m happy.[/quote]
It means anyone can create a mod that blacklists professions, and it will be merged into the main game as an optional mod, handled by the mod system.

I think Kevin meant complexity of task, not his or anyone else willingness to do it.

Exactly that, though if you aren’t able, I can take a look at it some time, but it will probably be a while before I get around to it.

Look at the methods that mention the “blacklist” keyword near the top of item-factory.cpp if you’re looking into it.
If I do it I’ll probably spend a little time to make a generic blacklisting module since this would be the 4th one I think.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:12, topic:11770”]Exactly that, though if you aren’t able, I can take a look at it some time, but it will probably be a while before I get around to it.

Look at the methods that mention the “blacklist” keyword near the top of item-factory.cpp if you’re looking into it.
If I do it I’ll probably spend a little time to make a generic blacklisting module since this would be the 4th one I think.[/quote]
Thanks for telling me where to find the blacklist code! I’m going to try adding it myself. If I don’t post a working blacklist within 4 months, I probably cannot add it, and would need you to add it if you’re interested. Either way, in my opinion, it’s worth adding to the game.